SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_46286433

Extending hardwood in open concept space

User
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

This is annoyingly difficult to Google--and equally annoying to describe, so bear with me as I try to explain:

We are moving into my father's home, which was built in 1995. The first floor is entirely open concept. The dining room, kitchen, and kitchenette area are 3/4 inch oak hardwood stained "natural". Then there's a weird angled transition between the kitchenette and the living areas, which are wall to wall carpet. See photos to make sense of this.

We contacted the company which originally installed the hardwood when we built this house 25 years ago, and they came today to give us an estimate. Their recommendation: keep the transition "line"--the piece of wood perpendicular to the flow of the hardwood--and then add the same hardwood in the living areas.

Again, see photos to make sense of this.

What I wanted was to have the existing floors sanded down, the new hardwood woven in, and all of it matching. Said company--a non-budget, totally reliable company--seems to think this will be too expensive but has agreed to give me a quote on both options. But the initial suggestion was to keep the transition.

My husband thinks this will look stupid, and I kind of agree with him. He's at a place of "fine, we will just get new, better carpet then because paying for hardwood if it does not all flow is stupid".

Has anyone extended hardwood in the way that is being suggested here--keeping the transition? Note that we can't change the direction of the hardwood because of how the space flows; that would make little sense.

Note: the existing floors are in AMAZING condition because my dad has lived there alone for 20 years. Also please note I'm renovating everything; I get that the house is stuck in the 90s.

Comments (16)