Privacy issues on Houzz

llucy

I tried to retrieve a post I saved from HT (The Heart Icon) and got this message from Google:

Your connection is not private

Attackers might be trying to steal your information fromgardenweb.com.gardenweb.com (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards).

NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID Automatically report details of possible security incidents to Google. Privacy policy

The message didn't come up when I clicked on the "Your Houzz" tab to see my ideabooks.

Anyone have info on this?

SaveComment54Like2
Comments (54)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pippabean_5b

Actually, I've seen this Google message when the internet is really slow at our lake house.

If you see the lock icon left of the URL field, it's a safe site with a security certificate. If you don't see a lock, definitely don't shop there with your credit card.

Best is also, to only fill out the absolutely required fields in your profile with whatever you feel like. After all websites can be hacked.

1 Like Save    
miss lindsey (still misses Sophie)(8a)

I got the same message when trying to open a DM from my notifications.

Save    
pippabean_5b

Seems to be a houzz issue. I did what miss lindsey did. To the left of the URL, there showed a warning triangle with exclamation point instead of the lock.

Best to avoid going there.

Come to think of it, I think I'll sign out. Don't like buggy websites that might experience a hacking episode...

1 Like Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

No problems like there here, but loading each thread is slower than molasses, has been since last winter.

1 Like Save    
llucy

I've never filled out a profile, and I've never bought anything using a credit card from either Houzz or Gardenweb. I've been a member of both since 2010 before they were combined.

The only posts I've 'saved' that were under the heart icon were from HT, which makes me wonder.

I don't like having to change my screen name after almost 10 years, but perhaps I should.

2 Likes Save    
foodonastump

I get this when I try to go to my profile:

1 Like Save    
maifleur01

I received that the other day while doing a search for something. I backed out then went forward and that was gone. Nothing on the internet is private so I do not worry about messages like this.

Save    
Emily H(9)

Hi there, If you get a message like this please grab a screenshot like the ones above and shoot a message through help.houzz.com so our team can check it out. Thanks!

1 Like Save    
Kathy

Clicking on the heart and going to anything from there gets the warning.

Save    
pippabean_5b

Emily, I tried to shoot a message on the link you posted but couldn't navigate the site. So I'm posting the Google warning here:

Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

I don't quite know what all is going on, but I just clicked on the heart icon, followed by "Your Houzz Bookmarks" and got one of those "your connection is not private."

As far as I know, I have never bookmarked anything in my "ideabook."

Kate

Save    

I just got it when trying to access the “your houzz” section of my profile.

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Emily, that contact form doesn't work (phone, browser) due to form fields not being 'fillable'.

PS: a link to the actual contact page would be so helpful.

1 Like Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

How long did you wait for that page to load, Ziemia? I can't always tell when pages are slow to load on my phone. They just seem to hang there or not load at all.

And I believe a techie rule of thumb is to try more than once when things don't seem to be working. That usually resolves a lot of glitchy issues for me.

I do not get a warning, BTW. But I have for other usually secure sites. I agree it may just be a glitch with the browser or whatever, because it's not every time.

This was not always the case, but everything seems to be working for me on my desktop Mac computer at this time.

On the help page, there are links to a website help page, an account help page, and a mobile app help page:

https://help.houzz.com/s/?language=en_US

https://help.houzz.com/s/topic/0TO0y000000kD9dGAE/website-help?language=en_US

https://help.houzz.com/s/topic/0TO0y000000kD9hGAE/mobile-app-help?language=en_US

And here's the 'contact us' link that seems to be working for me. You have to select a country before you can do anything else:

https://help.houzz.com/s/contactsupport?language=en_US

Sometimes I wonder if technicians deliberately come up with default problem messages that are guaranteed to seem alarming.

Save    

If you select a country that you’re not in, you get no response. Or at least that is what I assume; I choose USA because Canada is not an option (btw, wth?) and I have never received a response, even a canned one.

1 Like Save    
Ziemia(6a)

carol - have you done this all on a phone? Using a browser? You said you used a laptop.

I rarely visit Houzz on my laptop.

I can locate this link that you kindly provided ---- but the pull-down menus don't function properly on my phone.

(((And here's the 'contact us' link that seems to be working for me. You have to select a country before you can do anything else:

https://help.houzz.com/s/contactsupport?language=en_US)))

I don't get a list so cannot select and a selection is required for it to be submitted.

AND, I haven't found a mobile help/ contact section --- I do not use the Houzz app. No interest in doing so.

PS: thanks for the help.

2 Likes Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

I'm not surprised it doesn't work well on mobile. I have a big desktop computer and everything on houzz works fine on it. On my phone - not so much.

Makes me wonder if the app's any better than a mobile browser. Are you using Chrome?

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

I don't use the Houzz app.

No longer use Chrome on my phone (for some reason it drove up my data usage - basically doubled it. Currently use Brave.

(Any web page that forces you to use a particular browser is poorly designed.)

1 Like Save    
patriceny

I won't use the app either. I'm on a desktop. I've tried 2 different browsers today and I've cleared my cache. Nothing I can do can fix the chaos I'm having. :(

Lots of people are having lots of varied problems, there are posts on several of the larger forums. Not a peep in response from anyone allegedly in charge.

2 Likes Save    
artemis_ma

I tried to retrieve a post I saved from HT (The Heart Icon) and got this message from Google:

Your connection is not private

Attackers might be trying to steal your information fromgardenweb.com.gardenweb.com (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards).

NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID Automatically report details of possible security incidents to Google. Privacy policy

I get a similar message from nearly any website I try to access when the weather knocks my satellite out. I would not blame HOUZZ. I have checked the various sites I've gotten that sort of message from, and nothing has been stolen. It's super-bad Internet here, and quite possibly for you.

I do NOT use the app for this site (or for any other unless there absolutely no choice) but not for that reason. I find that apps tend to dummy down websites, and I want to see a full website, always. Might load a couple moments longer, but. I want a full site in my view.

2 Likes Save    
elvis

Lots of people are having lots of varied problems, there are posts on several of the larger forums. Not a peep in response from anyone allegedly in charge.

Which forums, Patrice? I notice you are usually at Home Decorating, along with carol. I haven't noticed any comments about problems on that forum.

1 Like Save    
Andie

I have.

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

My experience with getting an "unsecure site notice" is rare for me and yet not uncommon at Houzz the last few months.

2 Likes Save    
patriceny

Elvis - my screen is randomly switching back and forth from the GW platform to the Hoazz one. I've been unable to post a reply in some forums - the reply box simply isn't there. I've deleted my cache (didn't make any difference) and all of this is happening on 2 different browsers. I believe I've seen threads about problems in The Kitchen Table and HD along with HT.

Save    
chase_gw

I usually don' t have issues on my desktop but today my hot link to the Cooking Forum is taking me to the Decorating Forum...the last place on earth I wanna be!

Save    
patriceny

Thanks for making me laugh out loud Chase. That's sort-of how I feel knowing I'm now responding to a thread in Hot Topics. LOL. Normally this forum isn't on my radar, but for some reason today it's showing up in my selected list of forums.....which is how I ended up responding here.

It's mass chaos I tell you! :)

1 Like Save    
ohiomom

Thought y'all had turned off the lights and closed the door ... HT is bookmarked on my puter and I was taken elsewhere and when I looked in the directory there was no HT listed.

For a moment I thought I was 'left behind' (^_^)

ETA: It is no longer called "hot topics" but Home and Garden Discussions (?)

1 Like Save    
sushipup1

Mine is still Hot Topics, but I've had the heading change several times on other forums, but then it changes back. Sigh.

Save    
JodiK

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but... Houzz is not the most sophisticated piece of coding ever written... and I'll leave it at that.

6 Likes Save    
lurker111

Well, thanks to this thread, I noticed I had a nasty, pesky follower. :)

Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

Ohiomom, same here, my long used HT bookmark takes me elsewhere on the forums. Just need to re-set it to a new googled up HT bookmark.

2 Likes Save    
elvis

There's apparently some big problem right now with Windows 10. I wonder if that has anything to do with these issues.

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Windows 10 doesn't work well on phones.

1 Like Save    
elvis

I wouldn't know. Believe it or not, we don't have any of those. But Windows 10 is on my new laptop. Don't like it.

Save    
ohiomom

I have Windows 10 and have no problems so far, fingers and eyes crossed (^_^)

My son decided mom needed an IPhone , talk about a learning challenge. I would not even attempt to access this site on my phone, or any other site for that matter. This is nothing like the old flip phone I had 20 years ago. Sigh.

Save    
Emily H(9)

Hello all, our support page was just redone, so if you are having issues submitting tickets now, when you were not before, definitely let me know.

This should submit a request regarding forum issues: https://help.houzz.com/s/contactsupport?language=en_US

If you are not able to submit from your phone, please submit from a desktop / laptop, so we can get the correct information to the right teams in an organized way. Thanks!

2 Likes Save    
Carro

Houzz works perfectly fine on an iPhone. It's really not hard.

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

It's really not hard to understand. We are not all the same.

3 Likes Save    

Emily no matter how many times I attempt to submit a form I get no response.

And last time I tried, my country wasn’t listed in the options.

1 Like Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Some prefer not to use apps. There are legit reasons for that decision.

Save    
Kathy

When browsing my URL alternates between Houzz.com and Gardenweb.com. On Houzz it is my old avatar and on Gardenweb, it is my newest one.

Save    
patriceny

Kathy, the exact same thing is happening to me. Every click of the mouse switches me back and forth between platforms. The fonts and layout change. It's dizzying.

1 Like Save    
desertsteph

Windows 10 is on my new laptop. Don't like it.

I've had win10 for about 2 yrs and I hate it.

Save    
Carro

Try another browser and see if the same things happen.

Save    
ohiomom

I have apps ... don't plan on adding a social media site like Houzz to my phone. Love my other apps, yes Virginia I know what an "app" is (^_^)

4 Likes Save    
patriceny

Carro, it's happening across 3 browers for me. Good idea, but it didn't help. Neither did clearing my cache. Something funky is happening on their end.

1 Like Save    
Emily H(9)

Hi all, I have talked to our team about this. This is not an issue with the Houzz site itself. If you look at the urls that you are getting when you click on notifications, those are incorrect. We do not operate on gardenweb.com.gardenweb.com. There is currently an error giving incorrect links from the site and the team is working on a fix for it ASAP! Will update as information is available.

1 Like Save    
lurker111

In other words, there should only be one gardenweb.com, not two.

Save    
Emily H(9)

correct.

Save    
steve2416

I don't think anything has changed for me, same chromebook I've used for years and same everything else.

Save    
Emily H(9)

Hello all, This issue has been identified and the fix will be live on Monday evening. Thanks for reporting and for your patience!

Save    
Tilly Teabag

I’m still having trouble with it not staying signed in during a session on thesite. Now on about day 5. I’m on iPad browser.

1 Like Save    
Jenn "My kingdom for a nap!" Mom(5)

If I click on a link from notifications to a thread in HT, it goes to the page but then I'm not signed in nor can I sign in. Clicking on the Houzz icon in the top left corner takes me to the usual page and shows I'm still signed in there, then I click on 'gardenweb' under 'get ideas' or 'stories and advice'. While neither will show me as still signed in once I arrive at these pages, I can sign in and stay signed in for 'your topics' after that. It's highly annoying to have to go through all those steps though. :P

ETA: I'm on my desktop PC for all of this, usually. :P

1 Like Save    
Save    

Related Stories

My Houzz My Houzz: New England Add-On Provides Privacy, Views
A Massachusetts couple gets increased lounge space, improved views of the backyard and much-needed privacy with a home addition
Full Story
Lofts Houzz Tour: Multigenerational Living With Privacy for All
This vintage loft in Portland, Oregon, is reconfigured and expanded into a home to fit a family’s needs
Full Story
Houzz Tours Houzz Tour: Modern Minneapolis Home Balances Openness and Privacy
Clerestory windows, cedar overhangs and a clever layout let in natural light while protecting the family’s privacy
Full Story
Contemporary Homes Houzz Tour: A Home in a New Subdivision Courts Privacy and Views
The design of this New Zealand house takes future neighbors into account
Full Story
Inside Houzz Inside Houzz: Get the Better, Brighter Houzz Android App
By Houzz
We’ve updated our Android app with new features and a lighter look. See for yourself and download it today
Full Story
Inside Houzz Inside Houzz: Updates to the Houzz App for iPhone and iPad
By Houzz
With a redesign and new features, the Houzz app is better than ever
Full Story
Privacy Screens Houzz Tour: Seeing the Light in a Sydney Terrace House
A narrow row house gains lots of interior sunshine and a connection to the outdoors without sacrificing privacy
Full Story
Contemporary Homes My Houzz: Making Room for 3 Generations
A Salt Lake City home creates privacy and independence for grandparents, parents, kids and dogs
Full Story
Fun Houzz Houzz Call: Show Us Your Nutty Home Fixes
If you've masterminded a solution — silly or ingenious — to a home issue, we want to know
Full Story