SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_874585772

Siding question- extending roof or using double J as a transition

HU-874585772
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Our home is going to have light grey siding on the bottom and dark blue board and batten on the upper. This will work well on all sides except the back of the house because there is no clear transition from upper to lower levels. Contractor suggests to either extend the roof line above the kitchen to create a line of transition from upper and lower (more expensive), or he can instead use a double J to make a transition. I sort of understand what he's saying, but I just can't picture what a double J would look like. Pictures that I've googled don't use a J in this way, so I can't get a good idea of how it will look. Does anyone know enough about this to find a photo of a house done this way (using a J to define upper and lower siding) so that I could see what it might look like? I already hate other aspects of how this construction is going, I don't want to end up hating this too!

Of note, we thought about putting a covered porch over this same area at some point. Don't think we have the money to do it right now, but maybe within the next 5 years.

I keep trying to attach a photo, but for some reason it isn't working. Hopefully someone understands what I'm trying to say without a picture.

Comments (10)