Democratic Race

haydayhayday

Bye, bye, Kamala?

For Kamala, it's looking like a tale of two debates.

Last night she fell somewhere between Sanders and Yang.

Hay

SaveComment103Like
Comments (103)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Carro

Harris is polling lower. I think she's peaked and she could only do it by attacking Biden over a 50+ year old grievance. But when she was called on her own record by Tusli Gabbard, she couldn't respond effectively. Gabbard continues to peck away at Harris.

That said, I don't think Harris will bow out any time soon.

I predict she won't get the nomination because she's got the same problem Hillary had; she is singularly unlikable.

2 Likes Save    
1 Like Save    
elvis

Good, Harris is just creepy nasty.

2 Likes Save    
haydayhayday

Nasty:

"(of a person or animal) behaving in an unpleasant or spiteful way.

"Harry was a nasty, foul-mouthed old devil"

synonyms:

unkind, unpleasant, unfriendly, disagreeable, inconsiderate, uncharitable, rude, churlish, spiteful, malicious, mean, mean-spirited, ill-tempered, ill-natured, ill-humored, bad-tempered, hostile, vicious, malevolent, evil-minded, surly, obnoxious, poisonous, venomous, vindictive, malign, malignant, cantankerous, hateful, hurtful, cruel, wounding, abusive.

INFORMAL

1. an unpleasant or harmful person or thing.

"bacteria and other nasties""

Hay

1 Like Save    
haydayhayday

Early on in the race, I was predicting that Biden and Kamala, President and Vice President, would be the ticket for the Democrats. Perhaps THE winning ticket.

Those days seem to be gone.

Hay

Save    
haydayhayday

By design or not, Biden had to have set Kamala off-balance in his first words at the second debate.

She had to be seething from that remark.

"Kid"?!? Who you calling, "Kid"?!?

Hay

Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

I like Harris.

I don't particularly like Biden--he has some character deficits trailing behind him in the dust that I dislike, but he has some very strong points also. I will vote for him only if he wins the primary.

As of now, I will probably vote for Warren or Harris in the primary, although I also like Buttigieg and his ideas.

But my choices are not yet fully set. Lots of time left to become disillusioned with a candidate or alerted to some really positive revelations about some other candidates.

Kate

5 Likes Save    
marquest(PA zone 6)

My one goal is who will beat the tRump. I still think that is Biden nothing has come up to change my mind.

Save    
margaux

Andrew Yang has qualified for the next debate.

2 Likes Save    
chase_gw

That surprises me.......really interesting guy though.

1 Like Save    
olliesmom

I like Andrew Yang-glad he qualified. I think he's a sleeper. IMO, it actually doesn't make bad sense to give everyone $1000 month-to ensure most everyone at least has a place to live and some food. Do away with welfare/food stamps though. If you can't make it after that, it's on you.

If I were a full on leftie-he'd be my guy.

1 Like Save    
heri _ cles

Old Joe can't beat Trump the way things have been shaping up.

Biden's biggest attack on Trump is his bigotry. Unfortunately that issue works for both sides.

I predict Biden won't fair well in the Dem debates once it gets down to the top three or four. Right now , if you combine the 2,3 and 4 candidates numbers, there are plenty of voters like me who are looking for someone else to run against Trump. We don't want Old Joe.

Save    
numbersjunkie

I'm pretty firmly in the Yang camp. He seems to have flipped a number of Trump supporters with his comments about automation and how that is the real danger to many blue collar workers - more so than China and immigrants. I also think his Freedom Dividend would make many on the right sit up and take notice because it would shrink or eliminate the role of government in safety net programs we have now and give people choice as to how they spend the dollars. But the most refreshing thing about him is that he is a Washington outsider, and has avoided attacking others as a way to gain support. It could be a whole new ballgame for our country.

2 Likes Save    
cattyles

I like Yang, too. Not because of the $1000 (never happen).

Save    
heri _ cles

I am not for eliminating social security and medicare. That's for sure. I like Tom Steyer Gov. Inslee. Sen. Warren, Sen. Harris, Sen. Bernie, Rep. Castro, but again, no Joe, please no Joe. Joe has loser written all over him.

Save    
numbersjunkie

heri, who supports eliminating soc sec and Medicare? Other than the Republicans of course, lol.

Save    
VedaBeeps SoCal 9b/10a(9b/10)

“Do away with welfare/food stamps though. If you can't make it after that, it's on you.“

I think that should apply to farmers, too. They already get farm subsidies, they shouldn’t get to double dip with bailouts.

Yang is interedting. I still really like Pete, too.

1 Like Save    
elvis

olliesmom

I like Andrew Yang-glad he qualified. I think he's a sleeper. IMO, it actually doesn't make bad sense to give everyone $1000 month-to ensure most everyone at least has a place to live and some food. Do away with welfare/food stamps though. If you can't make it after that, it's on you.

If I were a full on leftie-he'd be my guy.

It's an interesting idea. According to Fortune:

Yang's version of UBI, or what his campaign calls a "Freedom Dividend," is that every American citizen above the age of 18 should get $1,000 per month, no questions asked...

There's a critical caveat in Yang's UBI approach: It would supplant existing government welfare programs such as food stamps for those who choose to take advantage of the Freedom Dividend.

"The last thing I want to do is deprive Americans of programs they need. My plan is to make the Freedom Dividend opt-in. But if you opt-in, then you're choosing to forgo benefits from pre-existing welfare programs. So if you're getting more than $1,000 in monthly benefits you can say, no thanks... Though, you'll still have a benefit if you have a child who turns 18 and starts getting $1,000 per month, which can be a game-changer for families."

Yang's response to the detractors? Implement a new tax system to make up for the minimal taxes paid by tech behemoths such as Amazon and other holes in the tax code. "The big change we have to make is that we have to join the rest of the advanced world and have a value added tax," he said. Value added taxes (or VATs) are consumption taxes paid at all stages of a product's supply chain. They're common in European nations, and Yang says that a VAT at even half the level of European countries could generate an additional $800 billion in annual revenues for the government. Combined with the ostensible savings and economic growth Yang claims would stem from UBI, the system would theoretically pay for itself (and then some).

https://fortune.com/2019/06/27/andrew-yang-democratic-debate-ubi/

Save    
olliesmom

I think Yang is the only one looking toward the future-he knows what's in store-and what's not in store. I have to admit, I'm a little worried about store fronts closing and everything being bought through Amazon and the internet, and certain people in these jobs out of work in ten years. He does seem to be ahead of anyone on that front. I like his gun control policy. I don't like his marijuana stance-but that seems the way it's going. He states he is a capitalist. Many more-but he's just the only one I would want if had to be.

Can't stand Kamala. I dislike her as bad as you Dems dislike Trump LOL

1 Like Save    
chase_gw

Latest polls show Warren meeting significant gains over Harris and Sanders. Interesting.

As an aside I'm thinking Beto will not return to the Presidential race. He seems really shook over the El Paso shootings. My bet is he drops out and runs for the Texas Senate seat or maybe even Governor.

4 Likes Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Right now I’m in the Warren column, and find Buttigieg very interesting. I am impressed with O’Rourke’s recent statements — he’s showing a lot of heart and soul. I would love to see him in the Senate.

That said, much can happen between now and Super Tuesday.

4 Likes Save    
Pippa

Warren/ Buttigieg for me.

2 Likes Save    
chase_gw

I have my favourites but the choice is not mine. The Dems will pick the candidate , the American people will choose their President.

My only hope is the Dems choose a candidate in the primaries who can beat Trump in the general.............that's my big worry. The primary vs the general

1 Like Save    
althea_gw

The numbers on this don't have much in common with those on the betting site:

Warren has 2 billionaire donors.

What do those billionaire donors expect from their investment???

Save    
chase_gw

Althea, I know you won't believe this but there are actually millionaires and billionaires who aren't evil people looking to get something for themselves.

Many, many are liberal philanthropists, environmentalists and socially responsible people who want to do the right thing. They just happen to be rich.

8 Likes Save    
althea_gw

"Althea, I know you won't believe this but there are actually millionaires and billionaires who aren't evil people looking to get something for themselves."

Thank you for sharing Chase.

Save    

I expect that a billionaire contributor likes Warren's proposed policies, same as the non-billionaire contributors.

2 Likes Save    
Rina

I'm surprised and pleased to see Yang faring so well -- not that I would expect him to win the nomination, but I think he is a really high-quality individual and a clear thinker.

I've been feeling uncomfortable with Harris without being able to put my finger on why -- this morning I've concluded that perhaps it's because she seems so pleased with herself. Or am I misreading her?

All this as a mere foreign observer, of course. Good luck to all of you voting in the primaries -- when you get there. It's a long road, isn't it?

3 Likes Save    
numbersjunkie

Rina, I feel the same way about Harris. Not sure what it is that turns me off. My son is big on her so I try to keep an open mind, but she'd be in the bottom of my top ten.

1 Like Save    
haydayhayday

When I was predicting that Biden/Kamala could be the winning ticket, I prefaced it with, "if Joe can keep his mouth shut".

I'm guessing that Kamala,if she had any doubts, is realizing that "kid" is not an affectionate term coming from Joe. Has to add to the seething.

Burning Bridges? He needs the rest of the Democrats to get the nomination.

His mouth is his worst enemy.

Today:

Hay

2 Likes Save    
Delilah66

I do not want as President another person who has never held an elected office nor served in an appointed position in government for which they are eminently qualified. To wit: (i)dj(i)t and his dolt relatives. I want people like Yang serving in the administration of people like Buttigieg: Qualified working for Better Qualified.

2 Likes Save    
chase_gw

Please not Warren. I like her a lot. She is smart, articulate and truly interested in moving the middle class forward. However, I worry she is too polarizing .....although that seems to be dwindling some.......and too far to the left to win a General election.

Job one.......get rid of Trump. A second Trump term because the Dem candidate wasn't palatable to the middle would be disastrous.

It's a a conundrum......

4 Likes Save    
llucy

Biden consistently polls highest with black voters. I've wondered should he drop out the race for some reason, who would they transfer their allegiance to? Same with those who see Biden as the most centrist - do they have a "backup" choice? What about those really want Sanders, or Warren? If either, or both had to drop out for a health reason, etc...who then?

I find the polls interesting, but political analysts point out that candidates who are at the top of polls at a certain point in time aren't always the one's who win the nomination. Or the general election when the time comes.

Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

The high support by black voters for Biden--is that partly (mostly?) loyalty to Obama who picked Biden as his VP?

I don't think black voters are necessarily looking for a "centrist." My guess is that their first priority is a strong supporter of black issues. On the other hand, black voters can be conservative enough on some issues that they would not be attracted to someone leaning waaayyyy out on the left fringe.

But then, I don't think we have anyone leaning that far out. Sanders and Warren may look very left-leaning, but that is only because the whole political spectrum has been shoved to the far-right (as in white supremacist).

Kate

3 Likes Save    
Rina

Kate, I agree with every word. There are conservative people, small "C", in the black population as well as the white. A different kind of conservative, perhaps, from that white people are familiar with. It is the nature of such conservatives not to look for excessive rocking of the boat. But I also agree that Sanders and Warren look far left only in the US viewpoint. Out in the big world, things look a little different.

2 Likes Save    
woodnymph2_gw

Biden is looking less and less sharp to me with each gaffe that he makes. Also, he is looking low energy. OTOH, as llucy pointed out, his strong point would be his appeal to Black voters, which we certainly need to win. in lieu of Biden, who would most appeal to Black voters?

Like several of you, I am increasingly uncomfortable with Harris. She seems shrill, strident and pleased with herself.

The little I have heard from Yang I have liked. I would prefer as President someone with the calm, rational demeanor of Mayor Pete. He is still my favorite but I doubt he can win (unless as possibly a Vice President, which would be fine with me).

It's a long road ahead and much can change....

3 Likes Save    
chase_gw

Evidently the local coverage of Biden is much more positive than the national coverage.

Most Democratic voters are well used to Biden's fairly benign gaffes. I wouldn't count him out yet........

I like Warren.......but can she do it nationally without taking a more centrist position ? I just don't think her ethics would let her make that pivot. ......ooooh oh the "e" word

Save    
woodnymph2_gw

I have an intuitive feeling that Warren reminds many people of how Hillary came across. Thus, those who did not like Hillary's speaking style won't go for Warren.

2 Likes Save    
llucy

woodnymph2 - you wrote my thoughts.

"Biden is looking less and less sharp to me with each gaffe that he makes."

"I am increasingly uncomfortable with Harris. She seems shrill, strident and pleased with herself." I still think she would make a strong president, but I am finding her less "likeable".

I like Warren, her plans and policies quite a bit, but I haven't been able to see her as a strong president so far. She seems too grandmotherly/professorial to me. My problem not hers.

"The little I have heard from Yang I have liked. I would prefer as President someone with the calm, rational demeanor of Mayor Pete."

Me too. If I had to vote today, it would be for Buttigeig.

1 Like Save    
Ann

What's the "e" word?

1 Like Save    
Ann

I don't think Warren will pivot because I think she's a firm believer in her positions and I really respect that about her. I think it's refreshing when a candidate sticks to their ideas and then works to enact what they run on. That's what their voters want from them.

I'm guessing many liberals will not agree with me about this, but I find this to be one of Trump's very best assets and I think it's one huge reason he has such dedicated support. I see this very same quality in Warren. Additionally, I think Warren has the same kind of drive, determination, and enthusiasm Trump does. I think she'd show great fortitude in tackling the things she believes in, waking up each morning with new and original ideas about how to tackle issues that congress has complicated, halted, or made exceedingly difficult. Now, I don't agree with her policies, but I respect that she is willing to clearly voice them and stand behind them.

I don't think Warren is a bit like Hillary or that she's appearing to people to be like Hillary, so I respectfully disagree with your opinion about that woodnymph. I think Warren will be an excellent candidate for those who agree with her policy, and I think her potential downfall is her policy and not her personally. She's really far left IMO. I think she's way too far left for much of America, and I don't think she could win on policy. But, while I'd never vote her (based on policy), I think she's a very strong candidate in style, enthusiasm, positivity, and forthright unwavering presentation.

2 Likes Save    
Ann

I was kind of liking some things about Yang, but his crying breakdown over the weekend was over the top for me. I clearly understand how his thoughts of his children being vulnerable in what has become a dangerous society overwhelmed him, but I think he would just need better control than that to be president. Heck, I think a woman candidate would be heavily criticized for an emotional break down like that (and rightfully so). It just did not show appropriate emotional composure for a presidential candidate from either sex. I think a presidential candidate needs to have the kind of emotional control to be able to keep those emotional releases for a more private moment and environment.

1 Like Save    
Delilah66

“What's the "e" word?”

If I weren’t so decidedly against LOLing I would actually guffaw. A conservative who does not know the e word. Ann, do a word search.

Save    
Ann

Well, feel free to LOL because I have no clue what the e word is and even a quick google search did not help. Maybe someone could just enlighten me because I can't think of an inappropriate word starting with "e", so I'm assuming it's okay to post.

Save    
Ann

Rereading the post that confused me, is the e word ethics? Ethics was used in the same sentence. If so, morals is a synonym for ethics and I don't think ethics/morals would prevent Warren from pivoting. I don't think it would have a thing to do with morals as I think she firmly holds her political beliefs. Why would she play some game of pivoting from her real beliefs?

Save    
chase_gw

"I like Warren.......but can she do it nationally without taking a more centrist position ? I just don't think her ethics would let her make that pivot."

My point is her ethics will prevent her from making a pivot to the center and I admire her for that . How is that confusing?

."I don't think it would have a thing to do with morals as I think she firmly holds her political beliefs. Why would she play some game of pivoting from her real beliefs?

It has everything to do with ethics and morals.. ..that is why she will not pivot!!! Not sure what about my post was confusing to you.

2 Likes Save    
Red Sox

I like Yang too but I'm not a fan of the $1,000 stipend. Ann, he has a child on the spectrum and with that comes a lot of emotion around one's children. We could certainly do with a little compassion. It wasn't a full on meltdown.

Remember when Howard Dean yelled and his campaign was over? It was weird but only vaguely weird and in this political climate we all feel like a good primal scream. Including the republicans.

3 Likes Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

Biden makes gaffs, OMG

Trump tells lies, Oh well.

Yang shows a moment of empathy, gee-whiz we can't have a prez like that.

2 Likes Save    
Ann

I'm clearly having a day of confusion. Chase, it appears I correctly guessed the e word when I went back and reread. Honestly this whole conversation of pivoting and ethics is just weird to me. A candidate should state how they feel about various policy positions, run on that, and then work to execute those policies if elected. Ethics and political policy are two completely different topics. Somehow ethics seems to work its way into so many of your comments, even if it is entirely off topic. I think the majority of people from both parties have reasonable ethics and trying to constantly paint people as lacking ethics is an odd obsession. Also, if a person changes a position or even wavers back and forth, I don't think it's a matter of ethics as much as just an "undecided" personality. Take any group of friends deciding on a restaurant. Some will have clear opinions and others will say anywhere is fine with them. All of them probably have perfectly fine ethics. JEEZ with the ethics!

My next point of confusion is in your comment Red Sox. What does "a child on the spectrum" mean?

Save    
Ann

Empathy is one thing vgkg, but a president has to make important decisions about life and death in times of war and even in times of natural disasters. If a shooting brings a person to public crying spells, how would that person handle greeting the remains of soldiers or the homeless problem or the opioid problem or military conflicts. It's just a lot that a president has to lead through and a person who is unable to control overt emotions like that could potentially struggle. Also, would their emotion overtake their needed controlled logic right when it was most needed. People are all different and unique and not every person is suited for every job.

1 Like Save    
numbersjunkie

RedSox: I like Yang too but I'm not a fan of the $1,000 stipend.

What is it about the stipend that you don't like?

1 Like Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

If a shooting brings a person to public crying spells, how would that person handle greeting the remains of soldiers or the homeless problem or the opioid problem or military conflicts.

Man it's cold in here. For Pete's sake Ann, Yang was reacting to the senseless brutal murder of that woman's young child, but if you are happy to have a cold fish as president then congratulations, you got one.

4 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Yang's book on the topic of the monthly stipend is an easy read and answers many questions here.

War On Normal People

Save    
olliesmom

Ann, I feel the same way. I really like Yang, and I can appreciate the emotion, but it was a total turn off when I saw him break down. It was a shock and did not want to see him losing control.

1 Like Save    
Delilah66

“how they feel about various policy positions,”

I’d prefer candidates to think about policies.

“a president has to make important decisions about life and death in times of war”

Well, I don’t trust the president we have now to make important decisions unless we need more tariffs.

”on the spectrum” refers to the autism spectrum.

1 Like Save    
Ann

Oh, thank you Delilah. I wasn't aware of the term "spectrum" meaning the autism spectrum.

Save    
haydayhayday

It may very well be that Muskie wasn't crying, but the reporting said that he was. Either way, he was out.

"Grown men don't cry. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmund_Muskie#1976_presidential_election

"A day later, the same paper released an article that contained accusatory reference to his wife, Jane, as a drunkard and racially intolerant. On the morning of February 26, Muskie gave a speech to supporters outside of the Manchester Union-Leader offices in Manchester, New Hampshire. His speech was viewed as emotional and defensive; he called the newspaper's editor a "gutless coward".[116] Muskie gave the speech during a snowstorm which created the appearance of him crying.[119] Though Muskie later stated that what had appeared to the press as tears were actually melted snowflakes, the press reported that Muskie broke down and cried, shattering the candidate's image as calm and reasoned."

https://www.npr.org/2011/11/25/142599676/campaign-trail-tears-the-changing-politics-of-crying

"1972: Ed Muskie's 'Snowflake' Tears

The stifled sob — or snowflake-induced tears — of presidential candidate Edmund Muskie was considered political suicide in 1972. As seen here, he tears up while responding to a New Hampshire newspaper's allegations that his wife was unladylike and that he was unfriendly to French Canadians. Muskie maintained snowflakes got in his eyes, but the crying incident is commonly cited as the reason he ultimately dropped his bid for president."

Hay

1 Like Save    
Ann

Olliesmom, like you, I find that kind of emotion very understandable. But, not for a president. The job entails far too much emotional stuff that needs to be handled with logic and composure at the toughest of times. If the man or woman holding the office needs to go to a private place to cry long and hard at the enormity of it all, that's their personal business, but not in a somewhat casual but very public state fair speech like that. It was all wrong. He's probably a great guy, a great father, and well suited for many a great job, but not president. But, I don't think it matters because he's just not anywhere near the top of the group.

1 Like Save    
Ann

Hayday, that's interesting about Muskie. I don't remember that but I'm not surprised at the outcome for him.

Save    

I actually had a positive reaction to Yang‘s empathy — being able to place himself in another‘s situation concerning grave harm to children.

3 Likes Save    
maddie260

I'll take crying over a thumbs up to a child losing both parents in a shooting any day.

4 Likes Save    
elvis

I'll take a thumbs up because a child survived-- over blubbering in public, but that's just me. Good grief, shades of Boehner.

Save    
Ann

I thought of Boehner too. And, Schumer comes to mind.

Save    
maddie260

There are simply no words for what I would like to say if you can bless that picture of your POTUS.

2 Likes Save    
Tilly Teabag

Ann

“What's the "e" word?”

election, elephants, eloquent, ebullient, equitable, eminent, effluent.

Save    
Tilly Teabag

Ann

“Empathy is one thing vgkg, but a president has to make important decisions about life and death in times of war and even in times of natural disasters. If a shooting brings a person to public crying spells, how would that person handle greeting the remains of soldiers or the homeless problem or the opioid problem or military conflicts. It's just a lot that a president has to lead through and a person who is unable to control overt emotions like that could potentially struggle. Also, would their emotion overtake their needed controlled logic right when it was most needed. People are all different and unique and not every person is suited for every job.”

Normal people can handle both empathy and logic in the same brain. Empathy doesn’t only cover emotions, but also actions proceeding from that care.

No person who cannot feel empathy at all, or robots, should be in charge of weapons of mass destruction, or the military, at all.

3 Likes Save    
Delilah66

The current president doesn’t handle his emotions any better.

3 Likes Save    
chase_gw

Ann, I'm not sure what it is about my post that is confusing you. Let me try and restate it a different way .

It is my opinion that a politician who sells one agenda in the primaries, wins the primaries and then pivots to a different platform for the general, is acting in an unethical way if that is their deliberate strategy.

I am saying that I believe Warren to be highly ethical and that, if she wins the primaries, she will stay with her progressive agenda. I don't nessesarily think the same of Harris. I think she would do what is politically expedient.

Ethical behaviour on the part of politicians is important to me.....it' s not an obsession it's just something I insist on in any candidate I support. Unfortunately I am often disappointed.

2 Likes Save    
Ann

"Ethical behaviour on the part of politicians is important to me.....it' s not an obsession it's just something I insist on in any candidate I support. Unfortunately I am often disappointed."

Don't let that disappointment get to you. I think, in general, the majority of people (not just politicians) have reasonable ethics, morals and values - even conservatives in Canada and America:) Maybe policy would be something worth a bigger look when you choose a candidate. After all, that's what will change the way your country operates. As far as ethics go, I think the best people can do is to look out for their own morals. But I'm not one who feels judging the morals of others (especially based solely on how they vote) is a worthwhile task. It just might lead to unnecessary disappointment.

1 Like Save    
woodnymph2_gw

I was not put off by the tears of Yang. On the contrary. We experienced a week of extreme events in America and his emotions conveyed solidarity, if anything. I recall Obama (one of the most popular presidents ever) broke down a bit in two instances: when speaking after the Sandy Hook shootings and also, in my own city, while speaking at Mother Emmanuel Church in Charleston after the heinous murder of 9 innocents while at prayer. I prefer that my presidents have empathy, which is sorely lacking in the personality of Trump.

4 Likes Save    
Ann

Woodnymph, totally off topic, but I visited your city for the first time in my life in 2019 and I think it's an absolutely beautiful city!!!!! One of the really fun highlights was eating the fried chicken at Martha Lou's. I had read about it before the trip and just had to give it a try. It was delicious!

2 Likes Save    
woodnymph2_gw

Ann, glad you were able to see Charleston first hand. It is, indeed, a uniquely beautiful old city. I've not eaten at that particular restaurant, but Charleston has become a mecca for gourmet foods of all sorts recently, including many ethnic restaurants.

2 Likes Save    
Ann

Martha Lou's is most definitely not gourmet, although we did have some other amazing meals in Charleston. Martha Lou's is a little tiny shack (with vinyl tablecloths and paper plates) with what I had read is arguably the best fried chicken in the country. It really was amazing. But Charleston certainly was unique and beautiful. I just loved my few days spent there.

2 Likes Save    
chase_gw

We simply see things very differently. Policy is very important to me and I pride myself in being as well informed as anyone when making my decision but so is a person sense of integrity, honesty and ethical behaviour, especially when they are being entrusted with the could of an entire nation...not just their loyal base.

Ethical, more so than morals such as fidelity, behaviour is important to me because otherwise I can't have any trust that they won't put their interests ahead of the country. I elect people to put country first not personal benefit, for themselves or their cronies. I also will never support a chronic liar.......that to me is something that signals a bigger issue.

Anyhow, to each their own. I have my set of values I judge by and you have yours.

3 Likes Save    
Carro

Charleston is a wonderful town. Great food town. I'll put that fried chicken place on my list when we visit.

1 Like Save    
Ann

"Anyhow, to each their own. I have my set of values I judge by and you have yours."

Synonyms of judgmental:

"synonyms:

critical · fault-finding · censorious · condemnatory · disapproving · disparaging · deprecating · negative · overcritical · hypercritical · scathing "

Save    
Rina

There is a difference between an adjective and a verb, and this particular verb is related to more than one adjective:: judgemental, judicious, judicial ...

A quick google grab of the definition of the verb "to judge", with synonyms:

form an opinion or conclusion about.

"a production can be judged according to the canons of aesthetic criticism"

synonyms:form the opinion, come to the conclusion, conclude, decide, determine; consider, believe, think, deem, view;
deduce, gather, infer, gauge, tell, see, say, estimate, assess, guess, surmise, conjecture;
regard as, hold, see as, look on as, take to be, rate as, rank as, class as, count;
informalreckon, figure, guesstimate
"I judged that she was simply exhausted"

Therefore, Ann, you have made no point whatsoever.

3 Likes Save    
chase_gw

"Synonyms of judgmental:"

Ann, except I didn't use the word judgemental........I used the word judge as a verb , two very different words. Are you perhaps being judgmental?

Save    
Ann

"Are you perhaps being judgmental?"

I don't know. Have you seen me writing about the values and ethics of Obama supporters? Do you think someone who "judges" the values and ethics of others (daily) is being "judgmental"?

2 Likes Save    
chase_gw

Give me a break......When you speak of liberals and how you see them behaving are you being judgmental? Of course not. you are a totally impartial, unbiased observer who never judges the actions and behaviours of your political opponents...got it.

Enough time boring others.....next

3 Likes Save    
woodnymph2_gw

Texans are urging Beto to drop out of the Presidental race and run against John Cornyn. No surprise there.

1 Like Save    
chase_gw

..also talk that Hickenlooper may drop out and run for the Senate in Colorado....I think these men can make a bigger mark in the Senate than in the Presidential race.....

4 Likes Save    
woodnymph2_gw

I agree, chase.

1 Like Save    
Ann

Colorado news is that Hickenlooper is close to making that decision to run for Gardner's Senate seat. I think Hickenlooper would have a pretty good chance of flipping that CO seat just as I think the Doug Jones' seat will be likely to flip in Alabama (and no, I'm not thinking Moore will be the GOP candidate:). IMO, Republicans have a darn good chance of holding the Senate with numbers similar to what they have now and I think Dems have a darn good chance of holding the House.

Save    
chase_gw

Dunno....good chance for Beto in Texas, good chance for Kelly in Arizona, good chance for a Dem in Maine, good chance for Hickenlooper in Colorado......

The Republicans are where the Dems were in 2018 ...lots of seats up for reelection, more than the Dems. So much will depend on how the wind is blowing for change

Save    
Ann

I was looking at the bigger Senate picture in recent days. Lot of GOP seats up for reelection, and most of them in solid red states. Fewer Dem seats up for reelection, but several of them in states Trump won. I'll take a quick look to see if I can find one of the more detailed articles I read.

Save    
Ann

Here is another and it's more interesting and more in depth.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/22/politics/senate-2020-analysis/index.html

Save    
cattyles

I wouldn’t say there is a good chance of Beto beating Cornyn. But it would be time and money better spent than staying in the primary race.

3 Likes Save    
Ann

Cattyles, it's not often that we find agreement, but I agree with that.

Save    
Tilly Teabag

I’m finding Houzz very glitchy , I’m on browser. Maybe upgrades in progress? Can’t like, won’t stay signed in, can’t scroll down rapidly. Hope it’s fixed tomorrow.

Save    
Ann

Back to Hickenlooper for a minute. My husband and I were talking about him during dinner. Hickenlooper was pretty well liked as governor of CO, but we think he kind of blew it with his presidential run. Now, he just seems awkward in a way he really didn't before. He sure might take Gardener's Senate seat, but I really think had he not run for president, his chances would be much better than they are now. It's probably the best chance for a Dem flip though.

Beto is a similar story, but I don't think he'll stand a chance for flipping a Texas seat. I think he acts like a silly joke as a candidate and he's been an absolute disaster in his presidential run.

Save    
catkinZ8a

Hickenlooper's out as of earlier today.

Save    
Ann

Catkin, I'm talking about a CO Senate run. Is he out of that? I know he abandoned his presidential run.

Save    
Ann

There was a segment on Fox News tonight regarding the story about Obama telling Biden he didn't have to run for president. Some of the panel members think Biden is very soon to be toast with the way Warren is gaining on him so rapidly all of the sudden.

1 Like Save    
chase_gw

Only one of the last 5 or 6 RCP national polls shows her gaining on Biden....in the rest she is gaining all right but at the expense of Sanders not at the expense of Biden. It's Sanders who is likely to be toast if anyone.

Having said that she is one to watch.........

Save    
Carro

Ann, I can believe it if Biden drops out soon. It's something that I never would have predicted, but the 2016 election taught me to not have expectations of front runners.

Save    
Ann

I read an article this morning (from The Hill, I think) saying people are worried about his gaffes (the latest is Burlington Vermont vs Iowa) and want him to reduce public appearances and worried about her far left liberalism (and her sex, which surprised me a bit). Now, some are wondering about Harris again. It's interesting right now. This is turning out much more interesting than the big group of GOP contenders in 2015. By this time that year, Trump had the GOP momentum and never lost it.

Save    
Ann

Just in case anyone didn't hear about the Obama story I was referring to a few comments above, here is a link.

https://www.businessinsider.com/obama-told-biden-advisers-not-let-him-damage-legacy-2020-2019-8

Save    
haydayhayday

Chase:

"Only one of the last 5 or 6 RCP national polls shows her gaining on Biden....in the rest she is gaining all right but at the expense of Sanders not at the expense of Biden. It's Sanders who is likely to be toast if anyone."

I think the Betting Market, is a "leading indicator" of the election results. If the polls are showing one thing and the bettors are saying another, I'd go with the bettors. You disagree? Go bet. Get rich.

Biden, thanks to Tulsi delivering the comeuppance to Kamala in the July 31st debate, regained his lead after that debate.

Then Biden went to Iowa and started talking again.

His mouth really is his worst enemy.

Hay

2 Likes Save    
Ann

Peter Doocy was just reporting from Iowa where Biden has an event soon. He said there were a couple dozen people waiting for the event which is scheduled in less than 1.5 hours. He made the contrast that, yesterday, Bernie had an event in Iowa, and 1.5 hours before the event, he noticed hundreds were waiting.

Save    
woodnymph2_gw

I've heard Bernie speak in public a couple of years back. He has a high energy that is contagious. He is very direct in his delivery, and does not meander or pause much, which I think appeals to many people. I think he projects optimism and a "can do" spirit, which is part of his appeal to the younger generation.

2 Likes Save    
Ann

He most certainly appeals to the younger generation! I have a nephew who just thought Bernie was wonderful in 2016. I haven't seen him for awhile, but I sure wouldn't be surprised if he still feels the same way, because his enthusiasm for Bernie was high.

1 Like Save    

Related Stories

Features ‘I Saw a Glowing Orange Flame Racing Down the Hill to My House’
With more wildfires raging in California, a Sonoma County artist comes to terms with escaping the October fires intact
Full Story
Simple Pleasures Simple Pleasures: Wake Up and Smell the Coffee
Slugging down any old sludge while pulling on socks is no way to start the day. Learn to brew amazing java and savor the experience here
Full Story
Holidays Houzz Call: Show Us Your Thanksgiving Fails
On some holidays you are just thankful when it’s over
Full Story
Holidays Houzz Call: When Do Your Holiday Decorations Go Up?
Is it ever too soon to start spreading the holiday cheer?
Full Story
For over 20 years, we have been providing standard and custom craftsmanship in the design, fabrication and... Read More