SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chrissyd1121

Raising Monarch Caterpillars Outside

Aside from the dozens of wild milkweed plants growing in my yard, I planted 2 this spring (same as last yr... 2 tropical milkweeds that the local elementary school science classes started as seeds and then gave away to locals at the farmers market).

Just like last year the plants did great and in no time they were covered in monarch cats of all sizes. I never find the chrysalis' so idk what happens to them. Maybe they get eaten, maybe they're just good hiders... who knows?! I do my best to keep the plants and cats protected but never tried actually raising them.

This year I saw 2 hanging in J shape so I knew where the chrysalis would be. Just as expected there was the bright green chrysalis the next day. The first one to appear must have hatched (or gotten eaten) this morning bc the clear sac is ripped open and empty. The other I'm gona keep a close eye on hoping to catch it hatching.

Right now the plants are not much more then bare stems and the cats are nice and long and fat. Looking around I see a bunch crawling around on the impatiens below. They couldnt be anymore vulnerable down there!

This leads me to the point of this whole post...

1. How large should an enclosure be for approx 12 cats?

2. Can I keep the enclosure outdoors in the gazebo, out of direct sunlight and safe from wind and rain?

3. Can I begin feeding them the wild milkweed from the field behind the house if its a different type of milkweed than they have been eating their whole caterpillar lives? I think its "common milkweed" and they have been eating "tropical" or "deep red" milkweed.

Comments (6)

Sponsored