SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_94722074

Happy Monarch egg surprise + zero BSTs + no more fogging!

Daisy Zone 6b
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I've been having a "so-so" year with Monarchs - I've not had very many eggs on my two large milkweeds. Yesterday I saw a monarch flitting about near the ground. I realized there were some milkweed vine there - little shoots pop up regularly in my flower beds. Oh my, I found at least 20 eggs and 3 baby cats! Many of these were on new shoots only 2 - 4" tall!

I know I shouldn't be that surprised, since it is milkweed, but I've checked the large vine on my back fence in the past and found nothing. I checked it yesterday too, and found a few more eggs :)

On the down side, I have had zero black swallowtails this year :( That is my favorite butterfly to raise. I have 3 large rue plants for them. I'm still hoping I get some this year - I'm really kind of shocked I have none.

Back to the up side: My town stopped spraying for mosquitoes!! I don't know what started them even thinking about it, but they did come to the conclusion that fogging doesn't work. They are starting an educational campaign about standing water in yards. I've suggested to them that they take the money spent on fogging and offer discounted mosquito dunks for people to put in their gutters. They are relatively cheap and I'm sure they could get a bulk discount.

Comments (6)

Sponsored