SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_245289634

How to prevent future ticks (pic included)

Al Ro
4 years ago

I found this tick in my yard today. Pictures included below. It was in my youngest child’s plastic pool. In fact I caught it in a cup and it was under water for over an hour but didn’t die. I’m sure all ticks are bad but does anyone know what kind of tick this is and how dangerous this kind is? It’s roughly 1/4” long.

My grass is short and partly burnt in some areas. The plastic pool where this was found is in the middle of my well cut lawn. I don’t live in a wooded area though there is a small amount of woods about 6 houses from me. I do have taller grass and shrubs on the perimeter of my 1/4 acher but don’t imagine it’s worse than most people have. I also have a fence so deer are in my neigbbors yard but not mine. I do have a woodpile for winter about 75-feet from where I found this tick.

This is my first experience with a tick. Should I call my pest control company to spray? I have a vegetable garden in this back yard so I worry about spray. We also have a dog and children who play in the yard. our dog takes a monthly pill for ticks. This tick didn’t bite anyone and we haven’t had any bites. It was shocking for us to find this tick as we aren’t near woods. We live in south eastern Pennsylvani.

What’s the best recommendation to find/remove/kill these ticks in my yard if there are more and prevent future encounters so we can feel safe about our kids playing back there the rest of this summer? Thanks For helping.

Comments (5)