SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

What's looking fresh in August and what isn't ...

roselee z8b S.W. Texas
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Well, it's August. Only two more months to go before cool weather sets in again. So what's looking fresh in the 100 degree heat and what isn't?

What drove me inside to get my camera on my morning stroll is this bougainvillea whose flowers start out white and quickly turn pink. Please ignore the Retama tree trunk ...

'''

Close up showing the white and slightly variegated leaves on some of the foliage. When I first bought it I thought there were two different varieties in the same pot ...

Then I look over and see the Mexican oregano looking glum by holding on to its spent blooms, but which I had such high hopes for after seeing it growing and blooming gloriously in full sun here at the San Antonio Botanical Gardens ...

I'm thinking maybe it should be moved to a more out of the way location with some shade and three or four Texas pyramid bushes put in its place. I've had them growing in the 'hell strip' where they bloom all summer and never wilt ..

I know y'all must be sick to death of seeing my 'Lemon sorbet' shrimp plant, 'fire works' gomphrena, 'asparagus' fern, and Thyralis shrub, but they always look great and take full hot sun with only a little irrigation ...

'Little bunny' dwarf fountain grass always looks fresh too ... see it on the next post.

Comments (49)