SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladybug9a

I cant wait for summer to be over

I was overseas for around 3 weeks, and it has been close to 100 degrees with high humidity...not much rain, but I have irrigation, yet the state of most plants is shocking. I lost a few, not roses, but a beloved gardenia and a few others. Some are hanging by a thread. Haven't been able to get into the garden, first my younger one got sick, then me. Still recovering and hope I can get out there this weekend. Not sure what I can do to help, thinking of disbudding roses brave enough to put out buds. New leaves look different and unhealthy..
All this despite irrigation and paying my lawn guy extra to water plants...sigh...
For those in miserable climates such as mine, How do you get through summer?

Comments (35)

• Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
    4 years ago

Houston has miserable summers with all that heat and humidity. We're in dog days here, too, and not enjoying it. As to what I do, basically I don't get out much in the garden. Plant trees and grow climbers on pergolas for shade when I am outside, but I spend much of summer in my airy comfortable bedroom.

There are limits to what you can do to make a garden look good in its off season. Structure and tidiness are important when flowers fail: hedges, evergreens, keeping the grass cut. Summer is usually a dry season here, though this year we're getting rain (and mosquitoes). For flowers I rely on what Nature gives me, mostly meadow blooms: chicory, Queen Anne's lace, daisies. The roses will start up again when, or rather if, we get late summer or early fall rains.

Sorry to hear you've had these problems.

ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
  • mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

There is a good chance your plants are drowning.

I think almost all of the east coast gets at least some of that weather - hot, dreadfully humid and just plain yucky. We were in the middle of some of it yesterday. The conventional wisdom is that high temperatures and no rain means the plants need a lot of extra water. However, with that humidity, the water doesn't go anywhere. The air is either at or near saturation, a lot of water comes out of the atmosphere as dew every night, and nothing dries out - plants, soil, towels. . . .

ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
  • Related Discussions

I think I have a MONSTER! Can't wait..... (pics)

Q

Comments (32)
    I had posted some pics on the perennials forum too, and someone over there wanted to know what the foliage looked like, so thought I would post it here too! :o) Thoses little white shoots that you see in the picture will all be blooms. As I said earlier they are really sprouting out all over. Glad those of you that are looking for it have found some places that carry it. But, BEWARE it does get big, and remember that "dumb" me planted 2 of them. Thought with our cold winters and shorter summers that it probably wouldn't get as big as advertised! Well lots of things don't (at least in other peoples gardens!) my daughter swears she does NOT want to know what is buried in our yard, as everything gets so BIG! ;-)
    ...See More

Can't wait for G20 to be over!

Q

Comments (10)
    patti43, you are correct that the main intent of the G20 summit is to discuss what steps should be taken to avert further financial crisis in the global economy. In a nutshell, many of the protesters are against having G20 summits at all, saying that they don't feel the G20 leaders have any right to make decisions that impact the rest of the world. Some protesters use the summit in hopes that their messages on a variety of issues including the economy, climate change, and globalization will capture the attention of world leaders attending the summit. Some protest that they don't want the G20 countries to cut stimulus spending until jobs recover. Greenpeace International is protesting that if G20 countries could spend billions of dollars to rescue banks in trouble, why not find money to help unemployed workers, for the environment and for social causes. Student activists are protesing being tens of thousands in debt for their education. They had signs that said "One billion for education, not fortification", inferring that the 1 billion spend on security and fortification to hold the summit would have been better spent on providing less costly education. There are people protesting for the Labor movement, the Environmental movement, the Women's movement, etc. Marchers have been complaining about everything from pay for public employees to expensive housing to the excesses of capitalism. It's unfortunate the minority who use violent means to show their displeasure make it so much more difficult for those who wish to peacefully exercise their right to protest.
    ...See More

Autumn Is My Favorite Season, But I'm Going To Miss Summer.

Q

Comments (9)
    Photo, my sister lives just outside of Little Rock, I'll probably be there for Thanksgiving, looking forward to it, I've never been, and I was thinking those pots were rhipsalis, they're quite impressive. Dave, I totally get the feelings of dread about fall in New England, I lived in Maine for 30 years. Autumn is so beautiful but we all know what's just around the corner.... my indoor plants always got me through though. I'd love to show off some of my outdoor plants but my porch is extremely tiny and all the plants are so squished together out there that it just looks like a mass of green, if I feel motivated I might separate out a few and take some pics. Love seeing what everybody else is doing!
    ...See More

I can’t wait to see Mel’s Heritage this year!

Q

Comments (5)
    Beautiful photos, Lisa! I am celebrating Mel's comeback and sending sympathy for your garden frustrations. (Insert Munch's The Scream.) Our roses are like children exposed to the perils of the world. I hover a lot. Helicopter parent of horticulture. I would dearly love to find a spot for this Barden beauty. After reading your story and Jeri's, I feel I need it even more. I like survivors! I have 3 ramblers on my possibilities list, Ghislaine, Pink Ghislaine and Mel's Heritage. Mel is at the top. But where to put him? Maybe I can start a roof garden. Ha, ha. Carol
    ...See More
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    4 years ago

I was out finding dry plants today that had emitters not working Rekha. I was really hoping that my plants can cope and then I read these reports. You brave people are dealing with so much. That Houston weather sounds terrible, Rekha. Mustbe, I am really feeling for you. Please don't give up, your plants need you. You are right to hide, Melissa, in your climate with the Winter rains. Californians could not do that in So Cal or everything would die.

ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • User
    4 years ago

All I can say is: "ME TOO!!!!!!!!!" I hate summer; like Melissa, I spend most of it hiding out. So long, so boring,so monotonous. In the other seasons, going out to my land is one of the greatest joys of my life, in summer it becomes something to worry about and sometimes actually dread. You have my absolute solidarity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked User
  • erasmus_gw
    4 years ago

Houston is hard to deal with if you like to be outside. We lived in that area for 12 years. One good thing was adequate rain most of the time. I didn't like the fire ants, roaches, large population of wasps, pine bark beetles, and of course the heat which seemed present even in early morning. I have a relative who lives there and loves it. He focuses on the many things Houston has to offer and he does not garden except for one orange tree.

When my husband was laid off from his job north of Houston we took the opportunity to move. One of the main considerations was a climate that would be more pleasant to garden in. I'm glad to say that NC was a very definite improvement in climate. Even in summer the mornings are usually nice.

But I still keep a close eye on the weather forecasts and am grateful for every day that is below average in temps. I know when the temp statistics show a slight cooling trend. Second half of August here. Just get through it one day at a time.

Every year rosarians are so looking forward to spring but then there's summer. I don't know how people dealt with it before air conditioning, fans, and refrigerators. I guess doing those things that are unique to summer might offset the negatives...like jumping in a lake or making ice cream or having a fresh peach or watermelon. I don't swim in fresh water or the ocean anymore. But think it looks so nice to see people out there floating on a lake in an inner tube. I used to do that stuff.

Yesterday I saw some falling leaves from our black walnut tree. It is the earliest to lose leaves and the latest to unfurl new leaves in spring. But nothing says coming fall like some falling leaves. Summer is passing!

ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked erasmus_gw
  • Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    4 years ago

For the plants: make sure there is plenty of mulch and sufficient water, and for humans: go out early... was my motto

In LV, my expectations for roses during the Summer were realistic considering the high temperatures. I just wanted plants to survive and be as healthy as possible during those months... that is it... Sun-loving perennials provided most of the color for the garden during July/August, aided by Blush Noisette that bloomed despite the heat...

Thus far, TX has not thrown anything at me that competes with LV, Phoenix, Palm Desert... it almost seems like a vacation, although, I have not lived through an August (the hottest month) here...

The yard has been void rose blooms. I cannot wait for Summer to be over, anticipating Fall blooms, and fashion, foods, beverages! It is my favorite season!

ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
  • ladybug A 9a Houston area
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks all for the support! It does make me feel better that others are in the same boat, misery sure loves company!

Temperatures and humidity here are super high, feel like everything is getting cooked. August is the worst month temperature wise, also peak hurricane season

Does cutting down roses help? I really dont mind if nothing blooms, all I want is the plants to survive and be as healthy as possible. My Mr. Lincoln, which is new to me this year is completely defoliated..some of the new leaves on others look burnt...

On the positive side, my okra and bitter gourd are doing amazingly well, and one of my plumeria bloomed for the first time after many years, so there are some plants that thrive in this heat, just not most roses . When I'm a bit better, I need to check which one look better that others.

I do have a pool and looking forward to chilling out, I might need some blinders so I dont look at my roses!!

4 years ago

I might not cut them, Rekha, and just wait to see what they do in the Fall and next Spring. I prefer larger bushes if possible. When they resume growing they will shed the bad leaves or you can trim them off. Others like more compact size plants and if that is you then trimming might be fine.

ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    4 years ago

Definitely don't cut anything right now! Your rose canes need all the shade they can get, especially since the heat will get worse the further we get into August. It's been pretty dry (and I have irrigation also), so several of my roses have dropped leaves and look pretty miserable. They'll bounce back when the regular rains return sometime in September and start to bloom again. I rarely lose roses that are in ground during the summer.

ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
  • sharon2079
    4 years ago

While my roses do better in spring, fall and winter, I still love SUMMER.... guess growing up as a farmer's daughter, my favorite times of year are spring and summer.... fall I have to many allergies, and winter .... well I guess I can't complain here in Florida but I still HATE cold weather.... I think I got WAY too cold once upon a time - even had some frostbite - and I can no longer take the cold...... hence I now life in Florida. While I don't want summer to be over, I will be glad when the Chilli Thrips are gone!

ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked sharon2079
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    4 years ago

I can hardly complain compared to those of you battling even higher heat and/or miserable humidity. There are various things munching on the roses and a few look like Swiss cheese, and there are the thrips, but overall it could be worse. The worst of the heat is still to come in the next three months, during which I'll be hiding inside during the daytime hours as much as possible.

ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Now I do understand why roses in my garden dont get enormous unlike in say California. There is a lot of die back, defoliation etc that happens during summer since I dont spray. But cant blame the plants, I can barely stand being outside in the daytime

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    4 years ago

Its also been in the mid to upper 90's here and very humid. Raining briefly most days, just enough to steam things up even more. I hate summer here. I want to move some where less humid and that has a nice fall with colored leaves. Fall is by far my favorite season!! I dont mind a little snow here and there but I cant live some place that gets snowed in for five or six months. Been there, I go nuts not gardening that long. We've toyed with the idea of moving further south but I think we may just find somewhere nicer in the summer, nice falls, and not too cold of winters. We love hiking, fishing, and just being outdoors. We miss living somewhere with mountains, hiking trails, good rivers to hike around and fish in. Anyone here live somewhere like this? Lol

ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    4 years ago

Oregon is like that Sultry.

• monarda_gw
    4 years ago

Here it is impossible. The heat. The rain. Roses have diseases. Too hot to go out and weed, etc. DH has to have minor surgery can't help with heavy work. Oh, dear. But hope springs eternal.

ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked monarda_gw
  • sharon2079
    4 years ago

sultry..... you are getting rain briefly most days..... I am getting torrential downpours daily.... better than last summer's drought, but I tell everybody I don't have a rose garden but a rose pond ..... so far no blackspot.... but the CT's are TERRIBLE!!!! I can't wait till they are gone.....

I must have regular thrips too.... don't see any but I have several hundred dragonflies... it was so cool watching them swarm... glad they are eating insects... but then I wonder what they are after.

ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked sharon2079
  • Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    4 years ago

I have bird planted morning glory trying to take over but it's too hot and I ain't skinny.

• Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    4 years ago

Jasmin, we also been thinking about moving many times. As long as it not So Humid. Love the mountains, fishing and all . Love to have 4 seasons.

Yup, it rains here. We get mostly heavy torrential rains. I prefer that Bec it cools the weather more instead of lightly rain that becomes so unbearable heat sauna . Either way, I can't do much in garden and not forgetting lighting. We are the lightening capital of the USA or maybe in the world for all I know.
    Frogs and toads are loving it. They are so loud at night. Last week, we found tadpoles ( zillions) swimming in my dog's water dish. First time this happens to us now we are washing it weekly. He barely used it since he is barely out . Mostly we walk him and now we are washing it frequently after this incident.

Surprised !!

jin

4 years ago

Monarda, wishing your husband a fast recovery .and well wishes.

Hopefully, you will take a little break from your beautiful garden and I know your roses will bounce back to great health.

PS : I hope you will post some pics of your roses. That will be a huge threat to many of us.

jin

4 years ago

Summer be gone!!!!

I'm soooo stuck here. Can't work outside because we have chiggers and I have a nasty allergic reaction to them, which antihistamine only partially alleviates. Covering up is useless against them. Can't go much anywhere because I lost my glasses--this on the eve of Italy's national summer vacation when everything closes for a couple of weeks--and am unable to drive. We're down to one driver in the household, and she has to study for makeup exams in September. The worst is, while it's still hot, days are shorter and it's cooler in the mornings, and I COULD work outdoors if it weren't for the bugs. I'm seriously considering going out today anyway, arming myself with long pants and shirt and dousing myself in insect repellant, and taking my chances. The forecast is for at least two weeks more of our current rainless weather, and as long as it doesn't rain the chiggers will be with us.

• monarda_gw
    4 years ago

Thank you so much Plumeria Girl. I am so touched! We said good-bye to our adored cat at the end of June. It was totally unexpected. She was refusing her food and losing weight and an x-ray at the vet's revealed intestinal tumors. She was only nine years old and so gentle, intelligent, alert, and playful. She had no bad habits and was an excellent mouser. I had taught her to shake hands. Two years ago young couple we know cat-sat her for two weeks while we were traveling, she was such a pleasant guest that afterwards they went out and adopted two cats of their own.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    4 years ago

I am really sorry to hear that I am really sorry. That is one of the hardest things in the world and I can see what a sweetheart she is just by that precious look on her face. I was going to say it's also hard because she was so young but I lost my cat of 25 years and I have to say it wasn't any easier then losing a younger one . I am thinking of you.

4 years ago

Melissa, that is so bad to have lost your glasses! I have so many pairs but I can get them cheap here even with my poor prescription. I keep my old one so I have some for close work, middle work and far!

We have chiggers here as well as ticks and mosquitoes, of course. My DH has an allergic reaction to chiggers and must avoid them. Recently he bought socks that have Permethrin in them. I think that's what they have. Anyway, I've been wearing them gardening and pull them up over my pants and the amazing thing is the mosquitoes completely leave me alone now. I mean completely! Normally I am a magnet so I have to cover myself head to toe, but now they don't even Buzz around my face. So if you can look that up online you might see about getting some of this clothing. It was not very expensive and it works. They do have a tight weave so a bit hot in our humidity, but so worth it for me. 100 times better than Deet.

• daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    4 years ago

So, so sorry. It is never easy, but she did have a good life with you. Daisy

4 years ago

I'm sorry to hear about your cat, Monarda. It's hard to lose a pet.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    4 years ago

I can't tell you how sorry I am, Monarda. Such a special kitty, and much too young; what a devastating loss for you.

• monarda_gw
    4 years ago

Thank you so much for your kind words, and I knew Daisy has recently lost a beloved cat, very untimely, and I sympathize with her loss, too. It is so shocking, when the animal is young.

We have had seven cats, and had vowed never to have another one when, it seems like just yesterday, this one came into our lives -- through the window -- and jumped in our daughter's lap. We were continually astonished at how lucky we were to have this particular cat. She had been brought up by two little Mexican boys next door, though she lived in the garden. They said their mother didn't want to spend money to buy cat food, but, "You can look after her if you like. We won't mind." Losing her was an unpropitious start to a gloomy summer -- with its awful heat torrential rains. But life goes on.

I had no idea they had chiggers in Italy. I know they have them here, though thankfully not in Brooklyn. They used to be only when you sat on the grass in early spring. But now they seem to be a torment all year. They say that socks impregnated in permethrin are an effective repellent. Also hot showers and long swims help to get rid of them.

4 years ago

Monarda, so sorry about losing your young cat. Love the markings. It is devastating to lose any pet but their memories always stay with us . It is very sad esp they are gone in such a young age.
    I still think about Daisy's kitten. It become a star of antique rose forum and a member. I don't think I can forget.
    Melissa, you made me Google up on Chiggers. I read all about it on WebMD. I have never encountered any Chiggers but they do exist in Florida. I been going in my backyard with my Cammie , shorts and flip flops. Trying to stay cool in our sizzling heat and wearing long sleeves and pants is. totally out of question unless it is cold winter front. Yup, I am very tan :)
    You look after those bites and heal soon. I saw the pics of bites and they look scary and read it is itchy too. Hope Fall comes faster since they cannot survive in cold.
    Vap, the mosquitoes leave me alone but not in Ohio. They absolutely love me and I have to used repellent whenever I go there ( OH ) :)

jin

4 years ago

Oh, Jin Chiggers itch like crazy for days!!! They always bite you in the worst places! Recently, however, I learned there's also Oak chiggers that bite everywhere and I got those this year. They are cyclical.Horrible things! That's why I'm happy for these socks. If they work for chiggers and ticks like they do for mosquitoes, I'll be thriled. Be happy you don't have them there. You must have different mosquitoes in Fl.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Monarda, so sorry about losing your cat, I dont have a pet, but recollect losing a childhood pet and its it's just the same as losing a family member, they are no less. My thought are with you..

4 years ago

Thanks both the sympathy and the advice, Monarda. Yesterday I worked in the garden. Long pants, long-sleeved shirt, tucked in, long socks, rubber bands around the pants bottoms, lots of bug spray on pant bottoms, waist, wrists, neck. I seem not to have gotten bitten! Temperatures are very slowly dropping, and perhaps that helps.

I don't even know what chiggers are called in Italian, I can't find a translation, but they do exist, and Heaven knows I've suffered from them. In England they're called harvest mites. Mosquitoes used not to be much of a problem at our place, but now we have tiger mosquitoes, and I've never seen them as bad as they are this year. Changing times, hurray. Time to get out and plant some more trees.

• monarda_gw
    4 years ago

I used to live in Italy when I was a child - and had an Italian stepfather. Spoke it at home. I remember nettles and food poisoning as among the hazards there, but also the incredible beauty beyond belief [redundancy?] of the fields and woods in Spring. .

4 years ago

Vaporvac, I lost track of the comments: thanks for yours, too. I got out for a second round of work, and still, no bites! Cleanup is happening!

Monarda, it is beautiful, though in my part of the country the beauty seems mostly accidental. Like most places in the world, people are bearing down on nature very hard here.

• sharon2079
    4 years ago

Growing up in Missouri we had chiggers. I don't know if it did any good, because I still had bites and lots of them but my mother use to slather me with bacon grease.... would definitely WOULD NOT recommend it.... you won't have any friends except cats and dogs.... Now I have to worry about ants.... we have fire ants on occasion. They will give a nasty bite, but the ones I REALLY HATE that also gives a nasty bite (I swell up like a balloon if I get more than 3 bites at a time.... must have allergic reaction) is the large carpenter ants. It is easier for me to spot the fire ants, they have mounds on the ground, so I can treat for them when they come.... but the carpenters hide in garden things... pots, trees, palm fronds, leaves... so they can get you really fast.

Mondara, I hope your husband is doing well....

I am also sorry for the loss of your cat. I lost my beloved collie from cancer this spring.... It is still very difficult.... my heart goes out to you.

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012