SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melle_sacto_gw

Silly rant: outside mount Roman shades

melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

The relatively new windows in our 60s ranch house don't have trim, just a minimal sill and apron with the rest being drywalled--which appears to be a common CA ranch house design. Our last house was the same, but we had them all trimmed out when they were replaced.
Since I wasn't going to hang curtains here (previous owner had curtains plus old inside mount shades) I went ahead and ordered new Roman shades, outside mount. And I went ahead and ordered them in taller/wider size for drama... not that they are dramatically bigger but they do enhance the otherwise plain windows.
Now that they are here and DH is installing (and I think they look great) he's griping they aren't as functional as the old, janky shades because they are blocking the space above the window and preventing us from hanging something above the window. I think he's referring to storage shelves. Well I agonized for months over the type, style, size of shades and he KNEW it... wasn't that the time to tell me he wanted the space for shelving? Maybe he assumed we were getting inside mount again like the old shades. :-/

Comments (3)