SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theresa_conroy

Kitchen refresh on small budget

Theresa Conroy
4 years ago

Hello, I'd like to refresh our kitchen with minimal time/money/work investment as we only plan to be in the house a few more years. I figure a refresh will help with resale and we can also enjoy in the mean time.

I'd like to keep the budget under $5,000 if possible. Ideas: paint cabinets and walls a shade of white (any suggestions for paint color(s) that would work well with our existing countertop, backsplash and flooring?); scrape textured ceiling and paint smooth; replace light fixture and decorative wood over sink; replace island bar stools. I welcome any thoughts! TIA

Comments (47)

• millworkman
    4 years ago

DIY or hiring out the work? Painting those dark color cabinets will require work, and considerable prep. Hiring it out will easily cost you more than 5k for those alone. DIY proper prep and finish working full time would take you a couple of weeks. And scraping that ceiling in a functional kitchen will make an awful mess. Fresh paint, good cleaning and declutter with some new lighting would be about my limit.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    4 years ago

I agree with millworkman. I'd add pendant lighting over the island, and recessed lighting over the sink. New paint on the walls, maybe new island seating, and you're done. $5,000 will not go far for the other projects you're considering.

And forget updating for resale, new owners will probably want to gut the kitchen and start over, if your area is anything like mine! And buyers do not want to pay for someone else's redo unless it's the latest and greatest!

• Related Discussions

Vintage kitchen needs updating. Small budget.

Q

Comments (67)
    Ah..(sorry I'm too talkative..)..check your local Craigslist maybe too? People get rid of stuff..and sometimes of new stuff as well-when remodeling for example. The prices are generally pretty good, so you never know. Tons of fridges on our Craigslist..true, I never payed attention to their finish that much.. I know though we bought a new bisque fridge, a smaller one, and pretty modest, for my MIL rental. My DH bought it-have no idea where. Can ask him. But it doesn't look impressive or charming like your stove. It's very basic. Well the whole kitchen is super basic. It's a tiny one bedroom. The location is great though, very central, walking distance to everything, nice parks around-so 1600 per month lol. And you have to do the laundry in the laundromat.
    ...See More

Favorite shade of white to brighten space with lots of brown?

Q

Comments (2)
    Can you post pictures of your space? Creams go better with brown and whites better with black. Since you have a lot of brown the brightest I would go is an off white like BM Cloud White for the trim. Did you decide what you’re using for the new fabric? The trim color should relate with your furnishings. Creams with more earthy colors and off whites and whites with cleaner colors.
    ...See More

Please help. Small budget, small family home kitchen partial remodel.

Q

Comments (14)
    Perhaps I wasnt clear. I'm looking for layout suggestions because Im aware that I need to add countertop and cabinents. L or galley? I like this color, I'm not repainting. Kind of pointless to add a backsplash when money needs to be spent on cabinets. no? The color is not an issue it's the lack of cabinets and countertops. Pantry cabinets to the left of the fridge would extend into the doorway. So you would turn into the kitchen and into the side of cabinetry? I'll add additional images with measurements. Currently there is a double sink and the plans reflect a single sink. Yes the stainless appliances are the new pictures.
    ...See More

Help! New home updating Kitchen. Small budget

Q

Comments (24)
    The photos are really blurry so it's difficult to see what's going on exactly with the cabinets and countertops. It looks like a very spacious kitchen with interesting floors and lots of light. So that's great! I think your ideas to change out light fixtures is excellent. You can really add some of your personality that way without a huge expense or effort. If you have things to display on shelves in the eating area, some wood shelves could be nice. Otherwise you might consider some art to bring in color and personality. I would highly recommend just buying new hardware and not trying to paint "bronze" over the existing hardware. Hardware is not that expensive and is very easy to change (as long as you get the same size). A real metal finish will look so much better than paint. However, the idea in general to replace hardware to add more of your style is great. Usually with a farmhouse sink you need a base cabinet that's ready to accommodate that style of sink. So I'm not sure how successful you will be at cutting into an existing cabinet and quartz countertop to retrofit a farmhouse sink. Maybe someone else here has experience doing that, but it seems like you risk ruining your nice countertops if it's not done properly. Bringing in some more warmth and rustic with a wood farmhouse table sounds great too. I would be a bit hesitant to paint white cabinets just another shade of white unless you strongly dislike the one that is in there and can't work with it. Right now the white cabinets seem to work well with the countertops and doing a proper job of painting cabinets takes a lot of sanding and prep so I don't expect it to be an inexpensive endeavor. I personally would stick to painting the walls for now.
    ...See More
  • Rachel Lee
    4 years ago

Scrape and repaint the ceiling, remove the scalloped light valance over the sink. Change the sink light to a pendant. Paint the soffit and walls a color pulled from the countertop. Replace the backsplash with a light color subway tile to match the lightest color in the countertop.

• Mary Elizabeth
    4 years ago

Have you considered a counter depth refrigerator?

• kathy
    4 years ago

Paint the soffit brown to match the cabinets

• millworkman
    4 years ago

"Paint the soffit brown to match the cabinets"

No, more than enough darkness in there now. Definitely get rid of the scallop valance over the sink. I would paint the soffit brite white as well as the ceiling.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    4 years ago

I'm not sure why everyone hates those valances over the sink, but I think it fits the style of the cabinet. I'd leave it alone.

• aprilneverends
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

It'll be very hard to find a white that'll work with other finishes.

And. You'll pour either tons of time in it if you DIY or tons of money if you pay for pro finish-and the result will look a bit like a second thought , with less longevity of finish too. Paint is harder to maintain, and within several years you might want to refresh it again. And the trends will change by then(they already changed that's how I know..and who knows by then will change again lol), so dont do it for resale for sure. Won't be appreciated. Unless you change it all, add/improve storage, etc-for your own enjoyment. And you know that still won't neccessarily be appreciated.

Right now-I see a nice color wood cabinets, and granite that works with them-essentially I see a perfectly normal kitchen. If you want to brighten-glossier lighter backsplash might be easier project with better result. Granted I can't see well what you have right now, and might seem darker than is.

As for what backsplash-agree with Rachel Lee. The simplest thing with with most granites would be to pull the lightest color from it, and go with the simplest shape tile, since the interest comes from the nature of granite itself.

Lighting always adds a lot-I see you have recessed lights though, so it's a question of careful planning. Maybe the one over the island can be changed for a cool pretty pendant

Paint (I would keep the paint same everywhere including the soffit)...does only kitchen have textured ceiling, or is it overall project you undertake anyway?..

New bar stools. Interesting hardware if you want more feeling of a change.

That's it.

Decorative wood doesn't bother me, personally.

• emilikins
    4 years ago

Seconding removing that scalloped trim above the sink, and then maybe find a fun light to replace that crystal ball light. Fresh paint on the walls (something light). You could also look into replacing the pulls. I can't really see them well in the picture, but having done that with our own drab 80s oak cabinets, we were surprised how much it helped.

I noticed your top doors are different from the bottoms, and I would say reface the tops to match the more modern cut of the bottom, but I don't know if it would be worth it.

We're currently painting our cabinets. It's going better than expected (using General Finishes milk paint) and we work full time and have two little kids. But we've also done some furniture painting and other painting projects around the house, so if you really haven't done any wood painting in the past, I definitely wouldn't recommend cabinets as your starting point. However, you could paint the island for a fun splash of color. Faster project, I'm assuming you only have doors on one or two sides.

When it comes to selling, a decluttered kitchen will go far (and for free!). So you'll want to have the counters as clear as possible when you go on the market. You don't want it to look like humans actually use that space (gotta love buyer logic). Edit: Your kitchen isn't cluttered by any normal standard, I don't want to imply that (mine rarely looks that tidy), just saying that cleared counters = free upgrade in the real estate world.

• kathy
    4 years ago

I agree that the kitchen is dark. Just thought that painting the soffit brown (or covering with wood to match the cabinets) would make them look like they went to the ceiling, giving a clean and updated look.

• emilikins
    4 years ago

I think if you painted the soffits, it would just look like you painted the soffits. We have the same issue, along with the added one coming out to the middle of the kitchen (above our peninsula, because there used to be cabinets there), but there's plumbing in there and we're stuck unless we want to spend $$$ moving pipe. My husband keeps trying to figure out how to make it feel taller and brighter, but since our soffit actually comes out past the cabinets, I think we're screwed on a budget-friendly solution.

Trying to match paint to the stain is going to be pretty impossible since you won't have the wood grain. Maybe if you did a veneer over the soffit, like in this picture:

soffit veneer

Or you could add moulding, like this: soffit moulding Just visualize stain instead of paint. But it's such a narrow space, that you'd barely have any room to paint in between. And you'd have to carry the top crown all the way through the room. It might only succeed in making the ceiling feel lower. This kitchen uses some very thick crown to cover the soffit: thick crown

• lucky998877
    4 years ago

I would switch to a chimney hood vent to break up all of that heaviness of the solid doors. New bright (solid tone) back splash, remove wood valance above the sink, and update light. Fresh non-yellow paint. Add some glass to your uppers. New bar stools without wood.

• St561 W
    4 years ago

i had similar countertops and cabinets in my old kitchen. my cabinets were in great condition so i had them professionally painted in BM Moonlight White for $3500. I had about the same number of cabinets as your kitchen. it made a ton of difference in my kitchen. it brightened the space up and made it feel fresh. if you do decide to repaint the cabinets, definitely consider getting them done by a professional.

• Theresa Conroy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you all for your very helpful ideas and insights!

I did receive a quote from a trusted professional I have worked with before for $1,500 to paint the cabinets. Based on your feedback, sounds like a bargain and i should seriously consider it.

At a minimum, I am going to paint the room (and soffits) a non yellow white. Replace light fixture over sink. Replacing bar stools with non-wood seating is a good idea too.

Question now is whether to paint cabinets or replace backsplash- not sure I have the budget for both. If I paint the cabinets then I would replace the wooden valance over sink, otherwise I will leave it.

The wall to the right of where the photographer is standing has a pretty simple wooden sideboard- perhaps that should be replaced as well with something non-wood?

The wall to the left of where the photographer is standing is a large bay window.

@ St561 W do you have a pic of your kitchen you would be willing to share? Would love to see how white cabinets look with the countertop

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

I’d be careful of that $1500 paint job. I can’t imagine a pro could do it for that amount. Google what’s involved in a proper paint job and make sure your painter intends to follow all the steps.

• emilikins
    4 years ago

I think $1500 for cabinets sounds like a bargain, but I would first like to see an example of the work if at all possible. Is he spraying or brush/rolling? What paint is he using (or are you supplying)? From what I can see of your backsplash, I think it'll look fine with brighter cabinets. Redoing the backsplash could be just as expensive (or more, depending on what tile you choose and if you need to redo the wall after demo) as the paint quote, but I think you get a bigger return on the cabinets.

My in-laws had cabinet painting quotes upwards of $4-5k for a small U-shaped kitchen. FIL decided to do it once he retired. It definitely brightened up the dark little space and made their other minor updates and changes look that much better. They went white, but I think with your countertops you might be better served choosing some color, even if it's subtle (and you can always add some fun with that island - or leave the island stained to keep some warmth).

Theresa Conroy thanked emilikins
  • millworkman
    4 years ago

" I have worked with before for $1,500 to paint the cabinets"

Way. Too. Cheap.

• Theresa Conroy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I definitely hear your concern- and am going to ask more detail about his process and what that includes. But with that said, he came recommended to me by an interior designer and he has painted several rooms for me and they came out impeccable. He said he paints cabinets 3-4x a year, so certainly has experience in that area too.

• jhmarie
    4 years ago

Your kitchen is similar to my older, refreshed kitchen:

www.houzz.com/hznb/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~110720042

While mine is smaller than yours, and obviously I took this picture on a day when it was very clean, I do not have the number of appliance on my counters. If you have some space in the area, consider setting up a coffee bar or finding a way to get some of the appliances off the counter. That alone will help - and depending on the circumstances might be free:) Definitely remove the counter appliance when you list the home to give a more spacious feel.

If I bought your house I would change out the backsplash. It is not bad, but I love the lightness of a simple cream subway with wood cabinets. If you do not have under cabinet lighting, consider that too - the most functional change I made.

Painting is up to you, but when I go to open houses of painted over previously finished cabinets done a few years past - I am not impressed. What looks good in a picture right after the job is done can be worn and chipped in 5 years. If you have any friends who painted their cabinets a few or more years ago, go take a close look at them.

• Gcubed
    4 years ago

Following

• artistsharonva
    4 years ago

$1500! Wow that is a good price!

It should be more like $4500- $7000 from a Pro Refinisher. If it sounds too good to be true, it's a red flag. Buyer beware! A good deal in the begininng can end up being more $$$ to fix than the normal cost of hiring a cabinet refinisher. If you are prepared to rdo kitchen in a few years if paint does not hold up, maybe to squeeze out 2-3 years. But that's money that could go for a future remodel when there's more funds.

I so agree with others to ask lots of questions, how he plans on prepping the cabinets, how he plans on painting the cabinets & get his detail proposal. Does he warrant his work? For how long? What would be done if something goes wrong &paint does not hold up as hoped? Ask if he has any clients he can call to see how they like his paint job after 2-3 years of using them.

There's a huge difference from painting walls & painting cabinets. A painter specializes in painting walls. Sometimes exterior walls. A cabinet refinisher is a totally different trade & process. All the prep that goes into properly prepping & spraying the cabinet doors off site takes a lot of labor. That is why it's so much more expensive than painting walls.

$1500 is a red flag. I would not let my talented wall painter roll or brush my cabinets. I would only hire a cabinet refinishing company who specialzes in just cabinets & guarantees there work & has been in business for years.

Please be careful & make sure to hire the right trade for the right job. Anyone who says they can do it all, is not an expert at all. That's a red flag. There are so many posts on Houzz where they hired a wall painter or contractor to paint their cabinets that ended up with so many issues. They would of been better just leaving them alone.

• artistsharonva
    4 years ago

Get your painter to paint the backsplash instead ;)

https://brepurposed.porch.com/2017/09/21/paint-tile-backsplash/

• artistsharonva
    4 years ago

If it were me I start saving up to a total remodel one day.

In the meanwhile, I was just do the following:

• paint the backslplash one of the lighter colors in the countertop
    • remove the valance (piece of wood in between cabinets in front of window
    • get daylight bulbs
    • get new brighter stools,( could remove seats & re-fabric then re-attach)
    • remove 1-2 stools & store elsewhere, they look cramped ( pull out for guests)
    • get battery power under cabinet lighting
    • possibly get items that can be re-used in new remodel:
    • new light fixture
    • new hardware

Have a plan for future remodel, so as you by things today can be re-used later. For example if an appliance breaks, buy the size & color to be used in future remodel.

• Theresa Conroy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I appreciate all the feedback, very helpful. I am becoming wary of painting the cabinets and the real long term benefit of that. I am thinking to start with painting the walls and soffits, replacing the light fixture over the sink, replacing cabinet hardware and maybe do a refresh on the current stools (they are sturdy and for a 2-3 yr time horizon I don't want to spend the $$ on new stools). We will not be in this house long enough for a full remodel to ever make sense but I'd like some changes to enjoy it more in the meantime.

• millworkman
    4 years ago

"We will not be in this house long enough for a full remodel to ever make sense but I'd like some changes to enjoy it more in the meantime."

Perfect plan.

Theresa Conroy thanked millworkman
  • GreenDesigns
    4 years ago

A $1500 job is going to be a joke. That’s not even minimum wage by the time all of the work that needs to be done is done. That doesn’t even cover the cost of professional grade materials.

Here is how I would expect a pro to spray paint kitchen cabinets. A non pro job should follow the same path. A brush painted job would differ slightly in that you wouldn't hang the doors to paint. You'd place them on a work table or easel instead. It's time intensive work, and should take 7-14 days for a Pro to accomplish completely and cost between 8--10K depending on kitchen size and amount of detail in cabinets.

Remove doors and drawer fronts.

Remove hinges and hardware.

Clean with Spic and Span

Rinse and let dry.

Scrape any loose finish.

Fill any damaged spots or hardware holes that won't be reused.

Sand fill smooth.

Scuff sand the rest.

Tack off dust.

Hang in dust free paint booth with wires through hardware points to spray both sides. Or lay on a spinner, and do one side at a time.

Tack off dust again.

Spray with shellac based primer.

Scuff sand again.

Tack off dust.

Spray with second coat of primer.

Spray with first finish coat of a polyurethane enamel (DIY) Or conversion varnish, (Pro product) . NO house paint. Never house paint.

Spray with second coat.

If glazing is to occur, that is next.(Don’t)

(Spray with clear over glaze that is compatible with base coat and glaze.)

Add more molding or decorative details to boxes, filling nail holes and sanding smooth.

Repeat prep process with face frames and exposed cabinet sides using plastic to create a spray booth on site. If interiors are to be done, they are done before face frames and sides. Interiors are difficult, and add both time and expense to the job. Most interiors are laminate and don't accept paint well. Don’t go down that road.

Allow everything to fully cure. That's 7-14 days or a cure, and some paints need up to 30 days.

Clean hinges and hardware and clear coat if you're keeping the old hardware.

Install new (or old) hinges and hardware.

Re-install doors and drawers and adjust for proper clearances.

If you are receiving or doing a job without this large amount of effort, then you are not getting a quality job. You are getting a junk quality job that will not last.

Theresa Conroy thanked GreenDesigns
  • emilikins
    4 years ago

Sounds like a good plan. If you're "refreshing" the stools, do you mean painting the legs or changing out the seat? If you're painting the legs, it's worth taking a look at General Finishes milk paint (it's an acrylic, not a true milk paint). It's basically designed for painting over finished furniture. I'm actually using it right now on our kitchen cabinets.

Theresa Conroy thanked emilikins
  • St561 W
    4 years ago

Theresa: here's a photo. Cabinets were painted BM Moonlight White (creamy white)

Theresa Conroy thanked St561 W
  • artistsharonva
    4 years ago

Like your plan.

Here's some stools you may want to consider. I suggest narrower stools like those & 2-3 of them. That way they can be pushed more under & make room around look bigger.

https://www.hayneedle.com/product/carolinachairtablecooda30insaddleseatbacklessbarstool.cfm?source=pla&kwid=Barstools%20level02&tid=CCH310-1&adtype=pla&kw=&gclsrc=aw.ds&&tid=neng2051559119-73251293916-pla-777658141429-359638992694&gclid=CjwKCAjw-ITqBRB7EiwAZ1c5Uxa8W0CrLOrX8xSroSlHSUyTniVRTFebVSfFgM8d10g1oaIULdMxOhoC_6kQAvD_BwE

Then you can sell the ones you have or use elsewhere

• artistsharonva
    4 years ago

You could also change bar stool covers easily. I have done this for many stools & chairs when I use to repurpose furniture for resale. It's an easy DIY project. Make sure to pick a fabric that is durable & stain resistant.

Here's a DIY video on how to change bar stool seat.

https://youtu.be/ZATTgaF_pXQ

I personally like the color of the wood with your island, because it blends in. Black or a darker color would be ok,too. I think too light of color would add to much attention away from the kitchen as a whole. If it were me I would not paint them, because they'll start scratching. If you do paint, them keep extra paint inside home for touching up when needed.

• artistsharonva
    4 years ago

You could get thin matching wood skin to cover soffits & add crown to dress it up.

I prefer this.

• artistsharonva
    4 years ago

Or add crown where ceiling & walls touch

• artistsharonva
    4 years ago

Update the scalloped wood valance over sink

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

The basics have been covered above, but I question how often your family eats or hangs out at the island. For your enjoyment now, and a better option for the market, consider salvaging the top of it and building a new, larger island to fit under the top, adding more/better drawer storage in a bigger island will appeal to buyers. Ditch the cluttery stools entirely if you have a better spot for meals. Here are the kind of drawers I'm thinking of. Very handy!

Brittsan Tolaris Homes · More Info

• cindyloo123
    4 years ago

I am here to get ideas for redoing my own kitchen. I don't have decorating skills, but I see a few things I would definitely change in your kitchen. I'd get rid of the valance over your sink. If at all possible I'd get a counter depth fridge (maybe you can put an old fridge in your garage to make up for the lost fridge space). I would add some color. If the wooden window valance is gone and you don't do one of the beautiful options in the post above mine, you could put a short fabric valance or roman shade above your window to get some color there. It would be easy to recover your bar stools with lighter/brighter vinyl or a fabric. Put some colorful/shiny things on your sofitt (colored glass, mirrored colored glass would be even better) to reflect light.

• artistsharonva
    4 years ago

Agree with decoenthusiaste. If nobody really sits there often then, definatly redo the island to make it more functional. Great idea reuse the ct.

Make the kitchen functional to your everyday needs.

Need seating = keep stool.

Need more storage=get new cabinets & reuse countertop.

You don't have to necessarily have to perfectly match the existing cabinets.

Different color islands are very popular these days.

You can get a matching stain or a darker stain or a paint color you like.

• artistsharonva
    4 years ago

Matching same stain color will be nice

But,

If you decide to go for a different island color, here's some examples.

Get samples to put next to existing countertop.

Whatever you choose, try to find a color that blends into the room as a whole, so it looks like part of the kitchen & it was planned.

• Kathleen K
    4 years ago

Adding a pendant light over the island would be brighten the whole room. Instead paint all the cabinets just do the island, walls and backsplash in a warm or bright white. Recover thebar stool seats in a bright pattern and maybe paint them a bright color to contrast with white island. Don't worry about your functional clutter until you start showing your house. then it is serious purge time. ( Clutter cabinets is a struggle for me, too.)

Theresa Conroy thanked Kathleen K
  • Theresa Conroy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

yes, i have given up on the idea of painting the cabinets. I am going to start by painting the walls, removing the wooden valence and replacing the light fixture above the sink. I like the idea of reducing the number of stools by 1 or 2 and refreshing them if possible by replacing the vinyl on top and painting the legs. Having trouble figuring out an offsetting color for the stools that would work well- any suggestions?

• Kathi Steele
    4 years ago

Agree with much of what you said.

Forget painting the cabinets.

Can you remove the backsplash and change it to something lighter??

Remove the scallop.

Change over the sink light fixture. Maybe a can light??

Remove the appliances all over the countertops. As an experiment, remove every single thing off the counter tops and see how light your kitchen actually looks!! You would be surprised. The counter top appliances soak up an incredible amount of light. Is there someplace else they can go? A small not too deep cabinet in the eating area?

Look at under cabinet lighting. There is some great LED lighting that can plug in.

• cindyloo123
    4 years ago

The whole kitchen is neutral so you can use any color you want! Why not start looking for a fabric you love to put on the stool seats. Then use a color from that fabric in other spots around the kitchen. I would not rush to paint the stool legs because I don't think the paint will hold up the way the current finish does. I think getting something pretty on the seats will be enough.

Theresa Conroy thanked cindyloo123
  • PRO
    A&G General Services USA LLC
    4 years ago

I would be happy to help you with your renovation project. Call to arrange your free estimate appointment.
    A&G General Services USA LLC.
    Licensed and Insured
    Free estimate provided
    Call us at 407-572-1830
    www.anggeneralservicesusa.com
    Email: anggeneralservicesusa@gmail.com

Flooring, painting, lighting, cabinets/granite, backsplash, roofing, fencing, and much more.
    www.anggeneralservicesusa.com

• iheartsix
    4 years ago

If you’re serious about only being in your home another few years then I wouldn’t put much money into the kitchen. You could definitely declutter a little, you’ve got great stainless going on which goes well with cabinets and tile. I would definitely redo the stools - maybe go metal with those. By decluttering and redoing stools - a fresh coat of paint, that alone will feel really good. Be careful painting tho - it tends to have a domino effect.

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Transitional stools and not as big. Bit of kitchen's black item[s]

Kosas Pennie 30" Counter Stool · More Info

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Both of these have 'cool' metal legs.... [?]

Dennis Counter Stool · More Info