SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bcgirl

Front door advice please!

ML Rogs
4 years ago

Would love your advice: We are repainting our house (same color- Sherwin Williams Escape Gray SW 6185) and trim. I think the trim is Benjamin Bright White or something similar. I've always HATED the front door; I think it lacks curb appeal! I am looking to replace the current half screen storm door with full view glass/interchangeable screen. 2 questions: 1) Regarding the storm door: replace with black-trimmed door? Or something else entirely? 2) Would you go with same bright white trim color? Also looking for color suggestions for the actual front door. Thank you!!

door · More Info

Comments (40)

• Beachlover
    4 years ago

Beautiful house! Love it! I think that blue or yellow would be good colors for the door. They would go great with gray.

ML Rogs thanked Beachlover
  • ML Rogs
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you HU-362058628! Are you thinking dark blue/yellow?

• Related Discussions

Front door / exterior design advice needed please!

Q

Comments (1)
    I like the look of this. The front door could be any color you like but I like the black screen door.
    ...See More

Garage door color / Front door and columns advice

Q

Comments (14)
    An entry door needs much more than an actually visible color. It needs the approach to it to have clues that it exists, and that people are welcome to come to that door. There doesn’t seem to be much of an encouraging wide and friendly pedestrian path to the porch, where presumably, people will travel. Right now? This looks like the cars are telling people that they are not welcome. The garage is the most obviously important part of the facade. It’s the most obvious and prominent element. And the front door isn’t visible, and has no designed path of destination to it. The hardscape and landscape design needs to overcome this. Paint is secondary. But yes, paint all of the batten trim and the garage doors the house body color. That body color may need a big workout on a lot of elements, actually. Every necklace in the jewelry box is being used, and it’s too much. The entry door needs a light bright color. School bus yellow. Bubble gum pink. Orchid purple. Acid citron green. Something that shouts rather than hides behind its mother’s apron.
    ...See More

advice on exterior paint colors: front door, garage door, curb appeal

Q

Comments (14)
    Snap a photo on a sunny day then use the Sherwin Williams ColorSnap app to play with the colors. I would select a tone slightly darker than your mortar for the garage door and a color slightly darker than your darkest brick for the front door. I would then on the garage door install magnetic faux hinges and windows; this will add detail to the door, like the below house. I know they can be found on Amazon, not sure where else. Before: After:
    ...See More

Front doors are an - Advice needed please

Q

Comments (1)
    I like less obscured glass. Depending on how far back from the road your house sits, and how much you can see in - I really like a clear, beveled glass. - but certainly not that fussy a design. I like the style of the 2nd door. Admittedly - I like driving through the order parts of my town in the evenings and being able to see in the doors and windows of the neighborhood houses. Seems like that's how it is in the city - even when the houses are close to the street.
    ...See More
  • chloebud
    4 years ago

I like the black door. Whatever color you choose, paint the new storm door the same color. Looks like you need larger, black light fixtures.

ML Rogs thanked chloebud
  • ML Rogs
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Thank you, @chloebud! Here is another photo of the front door showing the current color (awful eggplant-ish color which had faded). Are you suggesting painting this door black? And then choosing a storm door with black trim? I agree with you regarding the fixtures- they look tiny! I will replace them as well :))

door · More Info

• kmg11
    4 years ago

Red--

Is it an option to leave the storm door off?

• ML Rogs
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi kmg11- while I prefer the look without the storm door, it provides much needed cross ventilation and natural light

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    4 years ago

If you must have a storm door on the front door it should either disappear (full light painted to match the door) or look formal like the attached wood storm with 6 glass panels to match the door behind.

ML Rogs thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • chloebud
    4 years ago

ML Rogs, oops...I thought the door was black. Yes, I think black for the door and storm door would look great. Per Hallett's suggestion, I'd go with a full light storm door. Very pretty house!

ML Rogs thanked chloebud
  • Jennifer Foerster
    4 years ago

Love the idea of the black door with a “full view” storm in all black. You will also have to choose finish of the handle and kick plate if you have one.
    Great idea on the larger new updated fixtures for front. Will be stunning on your pretty house!

ML Rogs thanked Jennifer Foerster
  • Beachlover
    4 years ago

I was thinking that a brighter yellow, or a darker or navy blue would go great with the house if it had white trim. It would be the focus point of the house and would give it personality.

• houssaon
    4 years ago

I have a deep yellow front door with a white full glass storm with similar house color. I would prefer a matching storm, but I would not paint over the factory finish.

You can't go wrong with black.

I also like the extra security of having a storm. I keep it locked. Rarely do I get a random knock on the door, but I just like to have storm so I see who is there first. You never know.

ML Rogs thanked houssaon
  • User
    4 years ago

I once owned a center hall colonial with a different entry which I HATED, so I did a considerable amount of brainwork to change the feeling of it.

I actually like your entry better than mine, but If this were MY house (and it is not), I would paint the door trim to feature its millwork. Nothing crazy and busy, but enough contrast in tones to highlight it, bring it out, including over the door. I'm not sure what door color I would ultimately choose (might consider how it fits into the neighborhood) but definitely an all-glass storm door.

I would build window boxes on the lower windows for curb appeal. The one change that I did to the front of my house that had the biggest positive impact on its curb appeal was to hire a carpenter to create window boxes that kept in harmony with the rest of the woodwork on the house.

Instead of bright white for the rest of the house trim, the windows and soffits, I would look for a tone or color that is more subtly interesting than bright white, even if it is just a different white.. But I might pick a muted pastel or even darker color.

I happen to be a demon about non-functional shutters, so I would remove them (another reason I wouldn't keep the window trim bright white but would redo in a shade),

I would play around with the idea of replacing the urns on the landing with low bowl-shaped planters.

And if I was really in the mood to spend money, I would look to create one more step up from the landing to the door itself, making it level with the door sill. It looks like in the past somebody redid the entry and removed the step leading directly out of the house. For visual reasons, it might be good to extend the entrance to the house forward and make one more step there on the landing.

ML Rogs thanked User
  • tsquared93
    4 years ago

I also agree about a black door and a black storm door (I’m assuming that the shutter color is black...) I would also do larger scale lights on either side. Tip- Do the doors changes first- and after you’ve gotten adjusted to the new visual of your pretty house in a few weeks you will be able to better decide on your larger fixtures - re how much black trim versus glass you want and your light fixture. Good luck- please post your “after” pic!

ML Rogs thanked tsquared93
  • debantonini
    4 years ago

Your front door needs a pop of color, especially since your shutters are black. My suggestion is to go with McCormick Paints’ Richmond 233. It’s an elegant Colonial red. I also agree that you need larger light fixtures (black).

ML Rogs thanked debantonini
  • mcippyoung5
    4 years ago

Hi I also think your front door need a contrasting colour like a deep yellow ochre or turquoise or even green—- something to make the home welcoming. For the screen door a factory finished black with a full view glass/screen. When I travel to the US I love how places like Savannah, the homes all have beautiful coloured doors, large planters and big beautiful coach lights. Use this for inspiration.

ML Rogs thanked mcippyoung5
  • cat_ky
    4 years ago

I agree keeping a storm door. Makes no sense for everyone to be removing storm doors. They are a very nice thing to have. If you are replacing it, get a black one. If you are keeping the existing one, leave it white like the trim. It is no maintenance now, painting it will make it so you do have to touch it up now and then. I think a black door would look good too, but, I also think a rusty red would look nice on your house.

• Christine Ironside
    4 years ago

I would use Benjamin Moore Black Knight. It has a touch of green. Very classy. Storm door should be black. Maybe use some brass/ bronze hardware. Use brass kick plate. Updating your lighting, too. All the best....

ML Rogs thanked Christine Ironside
  • lazidazi
    4 years ago

We painted our house exterior Gray also; Benjamin Moore's "China White" was the trim color used. Used that color exclusively for interior and exterior white trim. It's not a glaring bright white, but softer, an especially well-suited to gray.

Definitely need to use an accent Color on the front door. You are rather married to black with the shutters, and a dark terra cotta or burgundy red would look great on the door.

Remove the Storm door; it ruins the aesthetic appearance.

If you're unwilling to remove the storm door, then it should be the same color as the front door.

Do you have the option of also painting the window Sashes [only the frame holding the glass, not the actual window trim which is white]? This is an extra detail, but gives volumes of Style to a paint job. Volumes.

• smmcwhirter
    4 years ago

I like the idea of a burgundy red for the door as well. I tend to envision the house throughout the year. Its a nice color if you decorate at Christmas time, great for adding burgundy accent flowers Spring thru Summer and gorgeous in the Fall. When I changed my front door color a few years back I picked up swatch samples from SW, cut them into a rectangle and stood back and held them up from a distance to cover the door by sight. It’s free and gives you a better way to envision before investing time/money. I’m old school. Good luck!

ML Rogs thanked smmcwhirter
  • Terrie B.
    4 years ago

I would replace the front door with something that has large glass panels in it and then get storm door if you must with a large panel of glass. Depending on the door you could go dark wood or something that pops like blue or yellow.

ML Rogs thanked Terrie B.
  • ML Rogs
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you all for your comments and advice!! You've given me lots to think about!! I'm disappointed with my planters this year and I'm making notes to change for next year. @ital mover, I never noticed the "step up" to the front door- I agree, it DOES look awkward now that you mentioned it. Unfortunately it is not in the budget to replace the landing steps :(. @laxidazi yes on painting the sashes, love this idea!

Color Update: Hubby has agreed to change the color! I love the old color but am ready for change! Love greige house/black shutters/red door/white trim. Some current thoughts:

BM Moore: * Revere Pewter/super white trim/heritage red door black shutters

* Thunder/white dove/heritage red

* Cosmopolitan/white dove/heritage red

Our downstairs bathroom and son's bedroom are painted Revere Pewter, kitchen is Thunder, all interior trim is White Dove. I'm drawn to these colors!

I purchased a pint of each of the grays and painted a few boards both front and back. They look very light!! I understand sunlight/shadows/exposure will affect paint, but my question is this: will the paint look darker once the whole house is painted? Does it look lighter on a small area?

Thank you!!!!

Transitional Colonial · More Info

• chloebud
    4 years ago

The colors in that photo are great! My experience has been colors on the exterior always look lighter.

• design4houses
    4 years ago

I agree with Mrs Ironside about the color of the door. I think the wall lanterns should be bigger (taller) to make them appear less high on the wall.

ML Rogs thanked design4houses
  • tsquared93
    4 years ago

I really like the black door and especially painting the side lights black as well - this makes the entrance so much wider in appearance as one color. The storm door could be black as well to not interfere. The pop of color could come from a wreath on the door and planters flanking the doorway much like you show in this picture. The larger scale light fixtures that visually hang lower are definitely a plus . Nicely done mock-up!

• Rachel M. Frazier
    4 years ago

Maybe consider colonial color scheme? Paint door navy-ish blue? Like Hale Navy.

Dark would make a bold statement and a color would add some fun.

You have a beautiful house

ML Rogs thanked Rachel M. Frazier
  • decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

If ventilation is the purpose of the storm and you're not in a wickedly cold/wet locale, consider a retractable screen instead. The lantern lights should be 1/4 - 1/3 of the door's height for impact.

ML Rogs thanked decoenthusiaste
  • ML Rogs
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@design4houses your mock-up is stunning! I wish we were able to widen the front landing as shown in your picture, it makes a huge difference! I haven't considered painting sidelights black but this looks fantastic! I also LOVE the lanterns. What hight lantern would you suggest?

• ML Rogs
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you, @decoenthusiaste! We live in New England so I appreciate your "wicked" comment, lol! The storm door also lets in light-center hall/foyer is always dark (and a peek outside for the dog:). A good rule of thumb for lantern size- so I'm looking at something ~20 inches or so... thank you!!

• Karen Nielsen
    4 years ago

I need to make a welcoming front porch.vI would like a swing.
    My husband is opposed to painting the front door since it is solid wood. I think there needs to be some contrast to brighten it up. Maybe paint sides and leave center door?
    Any suggestions?

• design4houses
    4 years ago

For a bold statement, I think the size of the lanterns should measure about 20 to 24 inches high, and make sure that the connection outlets are near the top of the lanterns... Seeing that the junction boxes of the facade are a little bit high to achieve the best aesthetic proportions.

You have a very nice house!

• Karen Nielsen
    4 years ago

Thank you! What about the color and style of lights??

• Maria C
    4 years ago

The black door is nice but something like Inchyra Blue by Farrow & Ball would really pop against the grey siding. I think Benjamin Moore’s Yorktown Green 133 is similar.
    (I agree with the larger black lanterns and would go with a white storm door).

ML Rogs thanked Maria C
  • Beachlover
    4 years ago

I think that yellow would yellow or red would go great with the house.

• Jane Bartlett
    4 years ago

Your home looks very much like ours. Over the years we grew tired of not having a covered front porch and water was getting into the sill causing damage. We decided to add a nice front porch which changed the entire look of our home. I have included a before and a close up porch - after photo. We changed the front door out as well. We had an older solid door with a storm door originally and we went with a nicer stained look without the storm door. In the first (before) photo, we had already begun the construction of the new porch. What looks like posts on each side of the front door, were only siding inserts for the hand railings that were on the uncovered stoop. We had to rip out the damaged section that had occurred due to not having a cover above. The "after" photo is right after the completion but before an landscaping was done. We used beaded ceiling on the underside of the porch. It is stained to blend with the front door. We love the look of stained wood. It adds the warmth that we feel is cozy and inviting.

Before

After

Neighbors have said it looks like an entirely different home. :) If you find it in your budget and are interested in a new look entirely, you could splurge and add one which would allow you to use a door without a storm door. Our porch is 8 x 20 however you could size it to fit your needs.

ML Rogs thanked Jane Bartlett
  • design4houses
    4 years ago

The question is: Do you want to enhance or transfer the basic style of the house...

ML Rogs thanked design4houses
  • ML Rogs
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Jane Bartlett what a beautiful transformation! The house looks completely different! I am receiving such helpful advice, thank you!!

• smc5
    4 years ago

Taller lanterns, full glass storm, have fun with the front door! Ours has been black, red and now lime green. A couple neighbors painted theirs after I painted ours.

• Daniel J
    4 years ago

Black, white and gray is a lot of neutral that gives you sooooo many options. You could do something bright with an orange that is not like cartoon orange, more like a burnt orange, rust or terra cotta, same with a yellow, it seems yellows with grays and oranges with grays are very trendy. You can do a bright blue or turquoise, or even pastels. Red and black are very traditional, they are your safe choices, with black there really not enough differences in shades of black to sort of modernize it, but with reds you could go with something a little more contemporary to pop against the trim with like a berry or magenta. Dark green is also very traditional, but I personally would not care for a dark green door on a gray house with black shudders, to me it just really would not pop, but again there are less traditional shades of green like chartreuse or lime green.

Regardless of exactly where your color trip takes you, I would paint the new storm door to match, you really do not go through all the trouble of painting your door if a plain white storm door is added. Also consider plants and planters that tie in with the new color, you do not have to go crazy with them, but accessorizing with some plants that will tie in the new color with a few other accessories will made your neighbors think you spent money and hired a professional to do the hard stuff.

• Lynn G
    4 years ago

Definately keep the trim white. When we painted the interior of the condo I was in they painted the walls light grey and the doors a darker grey. Without the pop of white, the light grey just looked dirty and dingy, not really grey - it needed white to show it was intentionally grey.

As for door, I LOVE grey and pink, so I vote for a pink door. My grey house came with a red door. It looks good, but I still want it to be pink. Trying to figure the color - the key to that is seeking a different tone than the grey. If I had a light grey I'd go with a darker pink, but being more towards a mid tone I want to go light. I'm leaning towards Ben Moore's "Country Pink". But if pink's a bit too far out there, yellow goes great with grey too.