SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marcommom

Plants for Awkward/Difficult Spots?

marcommom
4 years ago

Hi there - I have been struggling with two garden spots for over 20 years! I've tried different plants and they've failed. I've had various gardeners come and plant things and they've failed. Or, they don't look good/aren't right for the spot. Wondering if the experts here could look at the photos and make recommendation for me to plant? The spots are just missing something.

We're in Zone 6 and I'll explain specifics for each spot:

First set of pics (no clay pot in it) is south facing but part sun/shade. Front of house. Under a japanese cherry which is getting too large, so plan for it TBD (I hate to cut it down, hoping it can be pruned), and the nearby shrubs will be pruned too. Hosta are the only thing that is successful in this spot. Those are azaleas nearby.

Second set of pics w clay pot - faces east, morning sun, light shade in afternoon. In springtime I have to beautiful bleeding hearts there, but by summer it looks awful so I slapped a lame pot in the spot this summer. The plants to the right are gooseneck loosestrife and they spread like crazy but are easy to pull out. The astilbe have done kind of okay, but how many can I plant?

Set 1: Problem spot right in the middle. Front of house. Catmint plants among those in foreground.

Set 2: Big tree stump at left with maple leaves regrowing. Remnants of bleeding hearts in foreground. So much ajuga.

I appreciate your help!

Comments (21)