SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sparkleswest

Different Hardwood Floor in Living Room From "Wood" Tile in Hallway?

Seak and Sparrow
4 years ago

Hello,

We just bought a 100 year old house and the living room has a honey hardwood floor. From the living room you take one step up into the hallway (you can see the step at the back right in the photo below) and the kitchen is immediately off the to the right of the hallway with a wide open doorway. We'd like to put wood looking tile in the hallway, kitchen, and the office/laundry room (which is through the back of the kitchen). We may put a different hardwood floor in the bedrooms as I don't know how I feel about tile in bedrooms. Currently there is horrible linoleum or carpet throughout the house except for the living room

My questions are as follow:

1) I prefer a less honey more medium to dark brown wood tile for the kitchen/ hallway/office (laundry area). If Ii paint the face of the step white, will that be enough of transition to the different floors from the hallway to the living room? I've attached images of wood tile I like.

2) Do I need to put the same wood tile in the bedrooms or can i get away with transitioning to a different wood tile plank. I've attached our floor plan for your reference. The living room is at the bottom and the hallway is in the middle of the house.

I will say I eventually plan to refinish our living room floors darker but that will be many years from now.

THANK YOU AS ALWAYS!!!

Comments (15)