SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stush49

Show Your Flowering Sans

Okay, lets have them. Me first;

Eve

First time for me on this one. Looks purple! Going to cross polenate with the others.

Sansevieria kirkii Pulchra 'Coppertone'

Again

Bantal's Sensation

I do believe all the seeds from trifasciata produce common trifasciata.

To get seeds from cross with Sansevieria kirkii Pulchra 'Coppertone' should be special.

Comments (50)

• ewa321
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Stush - everything looks GREAT !!

The most beautiful color - Sansevieria kirkii Pulchra 'Coppertone'.

Are all flowering from this year?

I'm ashamed to say but I'm jealous :))

And a few of my flowering

Sansevieria francisii - step by step :)

Sansevieria trifasciata 'Silver Princess'

Sansevieria trifasciata 'Wagner's Gold' - opening soon :)

• akrrm (Nancy in NJ 7a)
    4 years ago

Becky

Fernwood

• Related Discussions

Show me your October flowers!

Q

Comments (4)
    Okay, i put some pictures in the Gallery. As i said there, not the best in the world because they were taken with my phone. But there are a few flowers out there - most of them a surprise to me - and lots of nice foliage.
    ...See More

Post your pictures here (Flower Shows, Gardens)

Q

Comments (46)
    The spiky purple plant is Bauer's Dracaena. So far I've actually been able to keep it alive in a window in my guestroom so it will be making a return appearance this season. It was growing in a pot. I probably had close to 70 containers last year. The Brugmansia is 'Charles Grimaldi'. I bought it in a gallon container at a nursery last spring so it's not old at all. They grow really fast. I took cuttings and had no luck keeping them alive but the mother plant stayed potted in the basement all winter mostly dormant. She is now starting to send out new growth-should be interesting this year. The biggest problem I have when I have success wintering over something tender is accomodating the size in year two. Last fall I had to let a banana get frosted because it just got too big to bring inside. Peregrine, great shots of the Boston show. Your closeups are exquisite. With all the wonderful pictures, I don't feel so bad about missing it. Sue
    ...See More

I'll Show Your Mine, If You'll Show Me Yours, Friday July 1st

Q

Comments (9)
    Picked some flowers from the garden the other day to put in the kitchen window. The peony has opened nicely today.
    ...See More

San Diego Winter Show and Sale - February 2018

Q

Comments (7)
    Rina, Kamloops is my home now, so 'missing' SD doesn't get much thought anymore (maybe the first winter, but not the 11th). Lot of snow here, but we'll get some sun today, and the temp will be above 0 C, so what's not to like?
    ...See More
  • woodnative
    4 years ago

Wow! Stush especially that 'Coppertone' but all are WOW!

• ewa321
    4 years ago

Sansevieria aubrytiana AYO - last summer

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I'll post more of Coppertone when opened. Hoping to get seeds from this cross.

• barbmock
    4 years ago

Congratulations on all these beautiful blooms! I wish I had some to add, but, sorry no blooms right now.

Stush you have really outdone yourself getting all these plants to bloom. I am wondering if your alfalfa concoctions have something to do with this.

• jstropic (10a)
    4 years ago

Wow, everyone's flowering sans are beautiful!! Can't wait to see the opened flowers of the coppertone Stush. Do you know if they will be purple?

Original Author
    4 years ago

It may be possible that the small amount of 'Super Phosphate' added to the potting soil may have some thing to do with flowering. Don't know. After bringing them out in spring, I haven't done anything except watch them.

First time for Coppertone. Unknown what to expect. First time for 'Spoon' as well. I wish I had a dumb cane plant blooming. Never seen one in bloom. Since Sans are now under Dracaena and would be great to get a hybrid.

• Matt McLagan
    4 years ago

Stush,

One of your cuttings you sent me flowered early this year.

Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6 thanked Matt McLagan
  • ewa321
    4 years ago

And the next one shows a bud - Sansevieria concinna 5949

Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6 thanked ewa321
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Well all my blooms are finished and some are forming berries due to some thing that looked like fruit flies on the flowers.

And Coppertone is still not opening. What is going on with this on. Getting bigger and bigger every day.

• barbmock
    4 years ago

Your Coppertone is amazing! Not commonly seen blooming.

Our friend Mike had some bloom on his a few years ago. You can search for it on the forum. He took some beautiful pictures.

Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6 thanked barbmock
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hammer time! Thanks Barb but looking thru these forums is too much. Wish they had a search engine that works. Not just for their adds. I can't even find my own posts.

Mike's keeping pretty quite this year. Hope he's feeling well.

• barbmock
    4 years ago

Stush, here it is. I have pretty good luck with the search engine.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2145226/s-kirkii-pulchra-coppertone-starts-flowering#n=28

Original Author
    4 years ago

Good find Barb. Mine started to open this morning. Just 2 hrs. later, started to fade. I pollinated it as soon as I could. Hope it takes. Got a dozen more tries to go.

• Rockdale (RI Z6)
    4 years ago

Stush, Magnificent coppertone flower. I have not had the luxury to see any flowers of my Sans......yet

Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6 thanked Rockdale (RI Z6)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Update;

Tried to cross pollinate but flowers die the next day. Remaining flowers I self pollinated. Now wait for berries? Got berries forming on my other Sans right now.

• Mary978
    4 years ago

Amazing Stush... congrats! In all these years, the only one of my Sans to ever bloom was my ‘Lavranos’... I almost missed it too; luckily my granddaughter noticed it, by that time the flowers were starting to dry up... I was so excited!

Original Author
    4 years ago

Nice flower Mary. Looks almost like a Easter time hyacinth.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Well my 'Coppertone' is finished and looks like an old mop head. Hope some berries form.

My Sans Coninna Spoon is blooming again. Noticed the old bloom stock now with barries.

It has a similar bloom as did Coppertone did. But bloomed all or mostly at once. Don't konw what pollinated it. No other sans was close to it so I don't think it will be a hybrid.

Top view

• barbmock
    4 years ago

I’m jealous! Wish I could get blooms like you do, Stush.

Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6 thanked barbmock
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Barb, looking at your plants, I'm the one who jealous. But thank you.

• barbmock
    4 years ago

Haha! We have done some good swaps over the years, haven’t we Stush.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Many thanks to some very generous people here and gone. I have their names in the pots of the plants given me. Like the large S. masoniana Norma Lewis gave me. or Russ, or Mike and Chris and a few others. And of course Barb. :-)

Original Author
    4 years ago

I got Seeds!! My Bantel is producing seeds. Can't wait to see what germinates.

Under that mop head is seeds forming. Bottom half was with S. trifasciata, top half was self.

Also got a bunch on my S. coninna Spoon from two flower stocks. It was by itself and guess insects did it for me. None of the other flowering stocks produced any seed.

• akrrm (Nancy in NJ 7a)
    4 years ago

Cool! I have seeds on my big Fernwood. I also had seeds on my silver queen but didn't realize it until I cut off the dead flower stalk.

• woodnative
    4 years ago

Study I think those will be fun seeds to grow!!

• The Silent Seed
    4 years ago

Unbelievable flowers on some of those plants - especially the lavranos and the Coppertone!

Here's one from me from this spring.... Pic is not coming up ?

• The Silent Seed
    4 years ago

Jude's ideas · More Info

Original Author
    4 years ago

Not exactly sure but I think all seeds from any S. trifasciata will produce plain trifasciata. Of course one out of a hundred could be special but most will be normal. With Coppertone hybridized with a trifasciata will produce some kind of hybrid weather it be worth wile or not.

When I grew Hosta from seed, They all looked alike. Some Blues, some Yellow , but mostly green. No variegation out of thousands that grew. I think variegation comes from sports or old side growth (pups).

Silent, What variety is that, (Schweinfurhia) erythraeae?

• The Silent Seed
    4 years ago

Good morning guys,

That's cylindrica. I found these two giant mother plants in a little mom n pop greenhouse in Virginia a few years ago.

Original Author
    4 years ago

I hope you did them right by planting them up in a 5 to 10 gal. pot. They are impressive. Mine is way smaller and about 5 years old in about a 2 qt. pot. I only seen growth like that marlonmachado = Marlon Machado showed in Brazil.

• barbmock
    4 years ago

I don’t think I have seen a cylindrica in flower before. Maybe it’s a good idea to let them crowd the pots.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Barb, 'Marionmachado' used to post here. He show his in flower and he grew more from their seeds. He showed the whole process he went thru. I guess warm and moist is what they need. My house is too cold in the winter and may be why they are stunted.

• The Silent Seed
    4 years ago

Forgot about this one!

Jude's ideas · More Info

Original Author
    4 years ago

Jude, I never saw a Moonshine flower. Nice. My other futura flower a lot but not my Moonshine.

• The Silent Seed
    4 years ago

Interesting! I wonder if there is some kind of trigger for individual species to flower based on their habitat? When they flower, it is always a surprise - a nice one at that.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes plants do have triggers to make them flower. The most common is light / dark interval. Some or another is when soil nutrients are in the right order. Some when threatened and want to survive. Don't know all the reasons or combination of same.

The most rarest of all is the hahnii group. Due to them being a freak of nature being small they almost never bloom. Juan Chahinian (Author) said that it is a Sanseveria trifasciata stuck in it's juvenile stage.

• The Silent Seed
    4 years ago

Very interesting - I've never seen a hahnii type flowering, I don't think.

This is the second time I have heard reference to this person - Juan Chahinian. I would love to find a copy of his Sansevieria book. Do you know the name of the book?

Original Author
    4 years ago

Books are out of print and sells for about $400. Might find one cheaper sometimes.

The Splendid Sansevieria by Chahinian B.J.

and

'The Sansevieria Trifasciata Varieties: A Presentation of All Cultivated Varieties', by B. Juan Chahinian.

I have the second one. Stocks Tropicals had the first one for $35 plus $11 shipping. Due to the outrageous shipping price I never bought it. Now only can buy used.

He posted updates to his books but only in 'The Sanseveria Journal in the international Sanseviera Soc.

There's a new one in Germany but not in english yet. Unknown author. Seems nobody does a Sans book now.

Hermine Stover's Sans book is also out of print but she offered free downloads. Don't know if still doing it.

• The Silent Seed
    4 years ago

Thank you for the book info - I'll have to do some nosing around and see if I can't get them relatively inexpensively.

Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6 thanked The Silent Seed
  • vitorama
    4 years ago

Stush, That Coppertone was spectacular. Concinna was lovely too! Please keep us updated with how the seeds grow.

Nancy, my Silver Queen bloomed as well! Produced seeds but they turned to mush. Did your go to seed at all?

i love seeing everyone’s flowers and reading about their experiences!

Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6 thanked vitorama
  • The Silent Seed
    4 years ago

Vito, The actual seeds would not turn into mush. Sounds like the fruits turned to mush and you didn't remove the seeds from the fruit?

Original Author
    4 years ago

I too had some seed pods that were duds. They flowered in my basement and was the only one blooming at the time and no insects to pollinate it. Fruits formed but no seeds. (mush). On pollinated ones, after the fruit turns red, I removed the seeds from the mush and let dry out a few days them plant them. They are the size of a pea and whitish. Usually 3 seeds to a pod.

• The Silent Seed
    4 years ago

Good to know, Stush. Unfortunately I haven't had any seeds on my flowers as yet - they were all inside while flowering and weren't pollinated.

Have you tried hand-pollinating, Stush?

Best, Jude

Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes and showed pictures of my Coppertone that I did it with. so far, I see about 5 pods forming. Hopefully i'll get more. I used pollen from my Sans trifasciata that was blooming at the time.

• The Silent Seed
    4 years ago

Fantastic! Fingers crossed!

• jay83
    3 years ago

Started this one from a leaf cutting a few years ago. This spring it produced 3 flower stalks!!!!. Will the rosettes that flowered still grow? Or should i start fresh with its pups and discard the rosettes that flowered?

Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6 thanked jay83
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Jay,

Similar to agave they will stop growing but unlike agave, they are still very much alive. No new leaves or new growth but as long as the leaves are there, they will continue to feed the plant and give more strength to the new pups that will be forming giving you a bigger fuller pot. I have some that bloomed and continue to live on for many years now. Not unsightly or anything wrong with it.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!