SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennpa6b

What should I do to my garden next?

Jenn
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

While my thumbs are definitely greening up, I can't design. So if this were your "curb appeal" view, what would you do to fix the design issues in the front of the house? (The bottom is the current view. The top is what we moved into to demonstrate progress.)

For example, it seemed like fun at the time to add those sunflowers to hide the speed limit sign a bit from my front window. But now I see that from the road they block the view of the door. Obviously, that's no big deal. They're annuals, I won't do it again after they bloom this year. But it's a sample of the kind of mistake I tend to make. I love my cottage-y border, and the distant photo that shows the size relative to the house doesn't really show how beautiful it is when you are standing smack in the middle of hundreds of flowers and butterflies. But I put it where the sun was at the time (because of some trees that had to be removed) and it is right to the edge of the road. So you can't really see my foundation planting under the bay window from the road, although it's quite pretty from the walk. The straight mulch bed along the garage has been a path from the driveway so long that it's completely compacted (like, I can't even get a shovel into it compacted) and most of it is still shaded by the maple or the house all day, but the bare wall looks quite stark against the crazy-flower-lady vibe of the rest of the yard. Also, while I have definitely started to add some shrubs back in (I was a bit hesitant thanks to the spidery shrubbery that was eating the house in that before picture) the yard looks basically flat with some sticks all winter, because I don't quite know where to add evergreens (I do have some boxwood and a euonymus emerald and gold and two little potted dwarf spruces.)

To clarify, I have plenty of plans for my garden. My big side yard garden (you can kinda see a bit of it waaaay off left) is getting more natives, since even after much amendment, the clay tends to hang on to moisture, and every plant that has thrived has been something that lives here naturally, so I'm going with it. The woodland garden in the back under all those trees is still in need of more plants, although I should update that renovation thread because it is so hugely different this summer - it feels like an actual garden, and is really an oasis. Still, it's huge, and not nearly full. The hydrangeas along the east wall are getting some companions, although they are lovely on their own. I want a fence in the backyard for multiple reasons (probably one of those black iron ones so the light doesn't change), and there are plenty of plants I am shuffling to happier positions (daylilies closer to the house so my labrador retriever and border collie can scare off deer; irises to more sun because that clump didn't bloom this year... stuff like that). I'm propogating and dividing and seeding all the things. I gotta tackle that roof moss. I can absolutely stay busy, but I'd love some advice to make it BETTER, not just more!

Just for reference, a closer view:

And what my bed under the bay window looks like, more or less (I took advantage of the cool wet weather and rescued that boxwood from being eaten by the hydrangeas, moving it forward a few feet because I already had the bed expanded for fall planting since March.) The arbor is an experiment that has some hyacinth beans and thunbergia just starting to take off at the base for August/September bloom - it will probably move to an appropriate place for the gate of my hypothetical fence.

Zone 6b, Eastern Pennsylvania, this section is basically full sun although the foundation bed gets morning shade. Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions or advice!

Comments (10)