SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
douglas_goldfein

Avocado tree help

Douglas Goldfein
4 years ago

Hello, I currently live in an apartment in San Jose, CA. I will move to a house in 1-2 yrs but I got these avocado trees from a nursery and they came in 5gal containers. I replanted them in much bigger containers and they seem to be doing fine.

Unfortunately, I was away for a month and there was a significant heat wave of 100+ for 3 days. I only had 1 tree at the time and my mother who was coming over to water my indoor and outdoor plants said that all the leaves were brown and/or had fallen off. I presumed the tree was dead and when I got back I bought a second one from the same nursery. When I went outside and took a closer look, I saw that the presumed dead tree still had some new buds on some branches.

So, here is the dilemma with both the trees.

First tree: This tree lost all its leaves but seems to be budding new leaves. The branch tips however are browning. Is this tree going to survive and if so, what should I do about the browning tips?

Second Tree: This tree I bought is full of leaves and life. When I bought it, it looked the healthiest but you can see where the tree split at a young age to grow a second healthier branch. The other branch/trunk looks likes it is dying. Should I and if so, how do I, trim that branch off?

Tree #1: Whole View

Tree #1: Brown Tips

Tree #1: Brown Tips/New Bud

Tree #2: Whole View

Tree #2: Split/Brown

Tree #2: Brown Branch

Tree #2: Brown Branch 3

Tree #2: Top healthy branch

Comments (6)