SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
idabean2

coneflowers redux

Marie Tulin
4 years ago

Of the dozen or more I've tried in the last 10 years only PowWow White remains. Seeing two strapping Prairie Splendors at a nursery today- near a large table of "newer ones"- reminded me of all the back and forth about echs on this forum over the years.

BTW where is e-maniac? Does he post anymore?

I wondered about the echinaceas you've been buying and enjoying or buying and burying. Have any been a bigger bust than the Big Sky series? Have echinaceas stopped 'trending?' or are gardeners smartening up?

I read on a forum and the article about removing all blossoms of first year plants will improve winter suvival of young plants. I was relieved that they should be removed before mid-August (at the latest). I thought about removing 20 + buds without seeing them bloom. I didn't think I'd have the will. So I'll enjoy them for now.

Hope I'm not starting a discussion that is out of date or repetitious. I've been re-doing gardens for 2 years and haven't kept track of trends.

Marie (aka idabean)

Comments (4)

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    4 years ago

I‘m not great at keeping track but my pink ones are the only ones that consistently come back. Not sure of the names.

Two exceptions to that are Aloha; it’s on its third year and a white (probably Jade) that is on its second year.

i don’t buy anymore because the pinks have babies like crazy and I don’t trust any others to be true perennials

• Dillybeansown (6b in the Ozarks)
    4 years ago

Pink Double Delight overwinters well and performs nicely for me. It’s very compact, which makes it a good one for the front of the border. I think it has generally good reviews, and joe I can concur.

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Three years ago I planted Sombrero Salsa Red and it has come back every year since then and is still red. Last year, I planted Adobe Orange and Hot Lava and both came back this year. I have never removed any buds. I am hopeful these will be better than the ones from the Big Sky series that I had years ago. I do have the regular purple ones that reseed all over the place and I like those too.

• Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I’m taking note of everyone’s longer term successes

thanks