SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

Making Mole' from Cook's Illustrated

annie1992
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I have a copy of a soft cover book called Cook's Illustrated Mexican Favorites. The cover says display until July 29, 2019, so it's relatively new, but I don't know where I got it, I do not remember buying it and I'm sure it's not part of my subscription.

Those things did not keep from reading it, and in spite of being a total coward when it comes to spicy things, I decided to make their Chicken Mole' for Elery. It calls for chicken thighs or parts, and I had to go on the hunt for the dried anchos. Having located those and digging out a small can of chipotle in adobo sauce, I was ready to go. Nope, gotta buy some unsweetened chocolate. NOW I'm ready.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the sauce took less than an hour to make, and that the past could be frozen. I froze half of it so that we could have it when Lars comes to visit, and used the rest for dinner. Because I am a coward, I left out the cayenne. I should have put it in, the sauce was good and complex and smoky, but not spicy hot at all. Elery dug out the bottle of ghost pepper hot sauce and heated his up, while I ate mine "as is" with a side of potato salad (yes, I know rice is traditional) and some slaw made from bok choi from the garden because I have about a silo full which is going to bolt if I don't use it up. Plus I want to do another planting of bok choi for the fall in that spot and the slaw was cool and crunchy and went well with the chicken.

Is it traditional? I don't know, the only mole' I've ever had was the Dona Maria stuff from a jar. This is better, much better. I think I'll make a double batch next time, so I'll have about three meals worth in the freezer.

The sauce was good enough that I cooked some pork chops in the leftovers, shredded them and made tacos with the mole' sauce and griddled corn tortillas with more of the slaw on top and a side of steamed aspabroc from the garden, and those were good too although I've never heard of pork mole' and bok choi tacos...

I'll definitely make it again.

Annie

Comments (28)