SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pirokp

Live Edge Table - Looks Like Picnic Table in Living Room

pirokp
4 years ago

Hi,

We had a Live Edge table made for us, just about 9 feet long, along with two benches. We brought it home yesterday, and all I can think is it looks like a large picnic table in my living room. Our space is one big living/dining area, and now it has a picnic table. :) I was thinking a rug under it might help, am I on the right track? If so what color of rug? I want the focus on the gorgeous table not the rug. I want to add a chair on each end, but I don't want them high so you can't see the table. Would a low in the back dining chair look okay? Any advice to turn my picnic table into a dining table would be most welcome! THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!

Comments (154)

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

Yes.. also when moving the benches and keep in mind the surface of this rug is not smooth for sliding

pirokp thanked btydrvn
  • btydrvn
    4 years ago

Things on top of it

pirokp thanked btydrvn
  • Related Discussions

Live Edge Table needs to be longer!

Q

Comments (8)
    http://coreymorganwoodworks.com/projects/live-edge-walnut-extension-table-with-trestle-base/ Can you have an extension table made? There are plenty more examples when you google, incl. one like the one envision.
    ...See More

Coffee table , side table and / or ottoman suggestions for living room

Q

Comments (11)
    I really Ike the colors and patterns that you have in the space. It is not so easy to combine patterns the way you have done. You seem to have a natural flair for this. I had also thought of a solid ottoman in an orange, as being an interesting possibility. i like the overstock piece, also. I was thinking, with your white sofa + red pieces, a color like this might also work. https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Handy-Living-Duncan-Parisian-Tan-Gray-Velvet-Large-Tufted-Cube-Ottoman/8119649/product.html this one is out of stock right now, but just to show the idea/option. Although I might lean towards an untufted piece, since all of your furniture has some tufting detail.
    ...See More

Re-Do of Living Room! Help choosing coffee table and end tables

Q

Comments (12)
    I'm a fan of #2. I always like the look of two club chairs side by side like that. I think having them together as one unit balances out the heft of a sofa and the huge TV. I agree that it makes sense to focus on the coffee table first. Are there any textures in your room? If everything is just flat wood, paint, and upholstery, I'd suggest a coffeetable that has a bit or texture or reflectivity to it. What kind of books are you looking to store in this room? I got a three tired brass and glass coffee table from West Elm recently and it is a fantastic place to display 12 huge art books. Better than a bookshelf. When people sit on the sofa, they actually gaze that the books, pull them out and read them. I like that.
    ...See More

Living room coffee table and table lamp advice

Q

Comments (30)
    This room would be greatly improved by a colored rug. Here are some examples. To many rectangles and squares in this room. I would move the ottoman to the near side of the sofa and for coffee table I would do a round table, either a single round table or two round tables next to each other, usually one is higher than the other. If going with a Persian rug or Caucasus rug as shown above, some people like to use glass-topped table to show the pattern of the rug below. Here are some coffee table ideas- Here is a similar one with some glitz- The one below comes in different wood finishes This is a modern rug on Houzz from Mohawk Home, but the colors are just perfect.
    ...See More
  • mnmamax3
    4 years ago

You will want a rug pad to help even out the heights of the floors.

pirokp thanked mnmamax3
  • pirokp
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

oaktonmom - yes, for now going to keep it back behind the sectional. But, we moved the sectional as far as we could to the french doors, and as close to the front fireplace as possible, this gave us more room for the table behind it. We put a lamp in the corner, not sure if it works, but it looks a little softer to me. Once the rug comes we will try that, and try to position it behind the sectional some how. If it does not look good then it's Costco, so the rug goes back. Basically I got one on Costco to see how a rug will look. :) After we try that, if it does not look good, then we will rearrange again. I really appreciate your help!

ritasj - thanks, I will pick up a rug pad to use if I decide to keep it. Now you have me nervous about the type of rug I picked.

• oaktonmom
    4 years ago

The sofa looks too close to the tv. Not only does all of the furniture look too squished into the area, I can’t imagine viewing the tv without getting serious neck strain. Is the tv at least on some type of bracket that allows it to be lowered?

pirokp thanked oaktonmom
  • jpp221
    4 years ago

I think everyone coming down in your reluctance to ditch the benches is a big harsh. I think chairs at the ends are great. Don’t worry about high chairs obscuring the table. The table is such a prominent statement piece that frankly, you could put a Hemsworth stripping on top and no one would notice the Hemsworth. I’d try to move the table over a bit (it hugs the hallway too much) and soften it by putting something on it (not a stripper). A lighting fixture over top that isn’t too rustic will further help (a drum fixture or the right chandelier, maybe even very high tech, or modern like the Sputnik chandelier) shining on that centrepiece (although I’m not sure what that would be—something industrial, metal, or industrial glass? Or refined stone, like a sculptural piece? Something not Flintstone/picnicky). I know, you’re resisting that because you just spent a kajillion on this and you’re reticent to obscure it by even tall chairs living in the same postal code, but it will be fine, trust me).

The key is to surround it with things (chairs, light fixture, centrepiece) that are not picnicky but not “pretty” (because then they’d look silly). I am thinking industrial or very high tech, or modern. They would act as foils, each element making the other stand out.

Look up Sputnik chandelier, wireframes chairs, bubble glass, and while you’re googling, just try Hemsworth Stripper for a break.

pirokp thanked jpp221
  • jpp221
    4 years ago

Seeing more pics now, I’d strongly recommend replacing the sectional. It’s simply too big, too poofy, for any room smaller than a football stadium. It is your design challenge, not the table.

pirokp thanked jpp221
  • btydrvn
    4 years ago

I too doubt if this rug will work.. it is too casual..and doesn’t match the high.-end artisan quality of the table... try looking on Wayfair for a tufted wool rug... they are smooth.. heavy.. will last forever...I would limit the pile height to 1/2” so you won’t trip on it...easy to browse by color.. size... pattern and style...

pirokp thanked btydrvn
  • btydrvn
    4 years ago

It also seems 8x10 may not be big enough..

pirokp thanked btydrvn
  • CindyR
    4 years ago

I didn’t see... did you try the table on the left side of the TV in the corner area? Move the couch back toward the back wall enough so the table has space...

pirokp thanked CindyR
  • everdebz
    4 years ago

If we could only gather in your room. I don't know why a rug helps - the wood floor already seems a boundary for your set. Might 'busy up' the area. What did get me was the style of the stools - to me they could be changed - are they somewhat formal or what style are they?

pirokp thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    4 years ago

One more -- there seems a natural line going from direction island is, then table the same / and parallel to seating.... make any sense? it doesn't look terrible to me.

Wishbone might be too skinny compared to sectional.

pirokp thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    4 years ago

If you can't beat the sectional, join it - what about 2 of this type?

Spinnaker Development · More Info

pirokp thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    4 years ago

The spoke design has uniform stain? try a couple as end chairs to experiment - might add.

pirokp thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    4 years ago

I would tend to pick chairs that blend into color of floor, and not stand out.... fp color too - this which has lines a bit like the set?

Monaco Parson Dining Chair, set of 2, Steel-Gray · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/monaco-dining-chairs-set-of-2-steel-gray-prvw-vr~53392773

pirokp thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    4 years ago

these seem related to metal bases - so worth photoshop trying sputnik as jpp suggested!

Ruby Dining Chairs, Set of 2, Liqurice Textile · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/ruby-dining-chairs-set-of-2-liqurice-textile-prvw-vr~84934224

pirokp thanked everdebz
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

Now I'm just curious, is there a formal dining room in this house or a nook area, just seems strange with all the flooring changes to expect you to plop a table in there. This sofa will look more balanced with a chair on the open end to round out the space. If yo do a rug in there maybe a faux cow or bear hide shape/look to kind of break up all the lines going on and to not repeat rugs too much in this size space. (I mean for the living area.)

I like the table better where you placed per Grover yesterday.

pirokp thanked RL Relocation LLC
  • Nicole R Dsp
    4 years ago

I think if you moved the tv in the corner between the french doors/window on a credenza or whatever it would open up a lot more space for your stunning table. Not to mention it would be Wu more enjoyable for watching (made that switch recently personally). No offense but the table behind the couch makes no sense to me, and looks and feels awkward based one hour pics.

pirokp thanked Nicole R Dsp
  • petula67
    4 years ago

Very cool table. It makes such a strong statement, it seems a shame to force it into tight little spaces where it can't shine. But the benches ... ? They present both visual and functional challenges.

Visual: Paired with the table, they're pretty overwhelming, and you don't really have any similar elements anywhere else in the room to tie things together. So how about re-working them into a monster coffee table? A live edge coffee table would be strong and bold enough to work with your large sectional, and it could help marry the seating and dining areas of the room.

Functionally: With the strong inward curve of the dining table, the benches might create conflict between people sitting at the ends versus the middle. Somebody will either be too far or too close to the table for comfort.

Although you spent a lot on the benches, re-working those into other furniture elements for your room might be more cost effective than buying/shipping rugs, bar stools, new sectional, etc., ...

pirokp thanked petula67
  • petula67
    4 years ago

Or maybe cut one bench into thirds and use the pieces for new counter stools with the same type of legs as the table.

pirokp thanked petula67
  • Angel 18432
    4 years ago

Could you put the 2 benches together (side by side) and see if it would make a coffee table

in front of the sofa. It may need height adjusting, but would give you an idea of how it would look. Then get chairs for the table.

pirokp thanked Angel 18432
  • lisalane
    4 years ago

Have you tried the table/benches over by the French doors? The sectional could then be rotated 90 degrees so the long section backs up to the rarely used door and the shorter section faces the TV. Or maybe the sectional can be modified to swap the long and short segments.

• everdebz
    4 years ago

The spoke design has uniform stain? try a couple as end chairs to experiment -

pirokp thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    4 years ago

Combo of materials seems hand-carved in vibe, like the table. Sectional adds a rounded look too - add a quality throw striking with texture of a global pattern - not 'country' - if modern light would work.

Eurofase Lighting Banderia 1-Light Medium LED Chandelier, Bronze · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/eurofase-designwl2017-banderia-medium-led-chandelier-prvw-vr~87767680

pirokp thanked everdebz
  • mnmamax3
    4 years ago

Are you hanging in there, pirokp? I still think the table belongs right in front of the built-in and rotated 90 from where it is now. Switch the middle sectional piece to the make the side nearest the French doors the longest and put a TV stand to the right of the fireplace to fill up some of that space and ease the neck strain of a tv above the fireplace.

pirokp thanked mnmamax3
  • mnmamax3
    4 years ago

And consider these for your counter stools (from World Market). I with they were a tad lighter for your space, but it brings the dark wood into your kitchen in a simple way and has black texture on the seats to match your backsplash/accessories. I have them and they are super comfortable - even though they don't look it.

pirokp thanked mnmamax3
  • pirokp
    Original Author
    4 years ago

mnmamax3 - I am going to do what you suggested, remove a piece of the sectional, add it to the other side of the sectional, and put the table 90 degrees from where it is now, in front of the built in's. I can actually sort of see how that might work, and open up the space. Thanks mnmamax3 :) We will be doing that on Saturday and I will post pictures.

If that doesn't work the next thing we will try is swapping where the sectional is, having the back of it toward the kitchen and put the table near the french doors.

I can't thank all of you enough for all your comments and help. You truly have helped me and I appreciate it. Everyone had a piece of advice to offer, and I appreciate that you took the time to do that for me. I was up all night thinking and re-reading all of the comments.

I will put pictures up on Saturday after we move the furniture again. Furniture mover pads things have been ordered from Amazon.

• petula67
    4 years ago

Bet you'll love your furniture gliders. I retract my earlier comments about your benches. They're lovely, and there are many pros to benches, especially when space is tight. Just put your chubbier guests in the middle spots. Once you finish your room, your table and benches will look right at home. You didn't make bad choices, you have a lovely home, and you sound gracious and good-humored. So I hope you both have fun during the rest of this process!

pirokp thanked petula67
  • mnmamax3
    4 years ago

I truly hope it works! This online forum can be a little hard to digest sometimes. As Catliesl says, good-humor will get you far. Unlimited patience and energy to move furniture helps too! :) Keep us posted!

pirokp thanked mnmamax3
  • lizziesma
    4 years ago

I like live edge, it is possible you may have too much live edge...

pirokp thanked lizziesma
  • pirokp
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We think we have it! We moved a piece out of the sectional which made the side longer along the french doors. We moved it way back which is wonderful because we can comfortably watch tv and not strain our neck. We then put the table in-between the built in cabinets and the two windows with the empty space by the door to outside. We will get a big rug to define the sectional area, and additional chair down by the fireplace (that corner not visible in picture) possibly a bigger console table behind the sectional, and an end table or two. We had 9 for dinner last night and the flow seemed great. Everyone could be a part of the conversation, on the sectional, table and bar/kitchen area. Everyone commented how large our room was and how wonderful everything looked.

We borrowed two chairs for the table from our neighbor. I like the look of adding the chairs and we will shop for those first. Any thoughts on color?

I am happy. Here are a few pictures, even the view when we watch at night. Thank you all for ALL of your help!!!

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Looks like it works. Now aesthetically, I’d replace those clunky bar stools with something more rustic and backless or with lower backs.

court 30" bar stool | CB2 · More Info

Trent Austin Design Gonesse 30.75" Bar Stool & Reviews | Wayfair · More Info

• CindyR
    4 years ago

Great news! So glad the change is working for you!

• Ellen Tracy
    4 years ago

Wow! That table is a lot longer than I thought it was. Looks good! Now you need some softness in there, like maybe a square table cloth at an angle and a big green plant or some flowers for the table. A throw for the sofa and a rug perhaps?

• CindyR
    4 years ago

PS: I think Grover’s suggestion for the barstools will accomplish your goal of showcasing the table instead of the kitchen and countertop.

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

Window treatments?

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

An area rug for the couch?

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

Pendants over the dining table?

• petula67
    4 years ago

Bravo, pirokp! The table looks very happy there!

• Angel 18432
    4 years ago

So glad for you that you found the right place for the table. Now you have

that settled you can shop for rug, drapery, pillows etc. which will really make a difference.

Rome wasn't built in a day, so take your time and find what "fits'.

Sexy legs look suntanned to me! lol

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

The table looks great. I would skip a sofa table because you have recliners and that can be annoying. IDK, and ask Grover, but im not sure area rug is a good idea it may shrink the space up.? maybe an abstract shape for the living room only. And then I would really consider the dining space being more defined with a lighting fixture over it. Than it would be as if it was always designed to be there....

• mnmamax3
    4 years ago

Yay! Glad you were able to fit it all in and make it work! I agree with RL, that a traditional rectangular rug might not fit quite right - the edges will impede the space for the benches to slide - but maybe it is just the photo angle. Keep us posted as you add in your details elements. Did you get your Costco rug? That would be good to at least see how a rug looks.

• Peggy Dixon
    3 years ago

We have a live edge table with benches in dining room — can’t decide on a light fixture over it —we don’t like Edison bulbs🤷‍♀️our house is basically farmhouse or rustic

• Peggy Dixon
    3 years ago

We have black and white alabaster globe hanging pendants in kitchen over island and there is a direct view to Berber carpeted dining room —sorry no pics — we are in middle of painting and not pretty right now🤣

• Peggy Dixon
    3 years ago

Anyone have ideas for lighting over the table?

• Peggy Dixon
    3 years ago

BTW —we love the benches !! We have had table for 20 years and our 6 grandkids love them!!!

• njmomma
    3 years ago

@Peggy Dixon

You need to start your own thread and post pictures to get advice.

• pirokp
    Original Author
    3 years ago

It was funny to see this thread come back, it reminded me I should post some pictures of where I am at and how things are looking.

Table is in the spot you all helped me with. I have added an area rug for the sofa, and pillows. I am having a large walnut burl coffee table being made, should be done in about a month. The current coffee table we have is just too small with the size of the sofa. I have a new fan for the ceiling which has a light in it, just waiting for the electrician to install. I plan on replacing the two dark brown leather chairs at the table with something lighter, maybe a beige or off white. Not sure yet but I feel the dark brown chairs are too dark. I got side tables for the sofa which match the live edge table.

One of you said Rome wasn’t built in a day, so true. It’s been a fun project.

Thanks once again for all your help!