SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katyajini

What is your opinion/experience with alfalfa and AA tea? & Qs

katyajini
4 years ago

I have heard so much about aa for roses that I decided to try it out somewhat systematically.

First I worked in several handfuls of aa pellets around the rose bushes. Ten days later no harm but nothing remarkable,

Meanwhile I made aa tea. There are many recipes on the WWW which are all variations on a theme. The one I followed is like this: In a large plastic vessel with a lid, like a garbage can, soak aa pellets in water, about 1 cup pellets per gallon of water. Stir it thoroughly at least once a day and keep loosely covered (not air tight). Let it ferment for minimum 3 days, better 7 days. Some say even longer fermentation is ok. At this point can augment it with additives such as epsom salt, whatever your heart desires, or use it straight. Add the fluid portion, leaving the aa solids at the bottom, to your plants. Many people add water to the aa solids again (same volume as before) and let it ferment for another 7 days, stirring once a day. Best to locate the container in a remote spot because it develops a very strong smell. (well maybe not that bad)

I used 12 gallon flip top storage boxes. By day 3 the mixture has a forceful barnyard smell. By day 7 it has a forceful pee and poop barnyard smell. The liquid becomes thick almost like syrup and a translucent amber color. It can draw flies. I am not sure of this but it seems to work better if the container is in good sunlight. I have had two containers side by side and the one getting more sun was much thicker and more amber colored. (Cant be that much temperature difference between the two?) I read another members comment, she too thought that putting the buckets in the sun worked better.

Recommended to apply about one gallon of this brew per rose bush. And reapply every week to every 4-6 weeks.

I applied about 1/3 of a gallon (hadn't any idea what could happen) per rose bush and 1-2 cups to every tomato plant and other vegetable.

I didn't know what to expect. Three days later I came out in the morning and something was different. I had to take a second look. All my vegetables seemed to stand taller, stronger and straighter. There was a very distinct change.

Roses of course have a different growth style and rate. By day six or seven I could see tiny shoots/canes coming out at the base of some of the rose bushes. Since Jume 5th I have made 4 applications (including the second less strong brew) and all my roses show basal break. Certainly it is possible all those bushes would have put out canes anyway. But most of them were hurting and not doing much and the aa tea 'seemed' to make them stir, wake up and grow. Now they are also putting out shoots along the branches like crazy.

I gave some to my climbing hydrangea and it almost feels like I see the tips growing longer along the fence in real time. That has never happened.

I have read comments: its nothing but nitrogen. I dont think so. The vegetables did not put on just vegetative growth; there has been much fruit set. Best I have had in my garden. This is my first time observing the growth of roses carefully so I dont have anything to compare it to but looks happy to me.

There are also comments: you are creating anaerobic fermentation, wrong, wrong, wrong. Correct but that the best I can do and it works. Maybe some anaerobic fermentation is needed to release the goodies? who knows?

I am posting some examples in pictures below.

Here is my question: Can this go wrong? Can you apply too much, too often? No one says. There does not seem to be any consensus as to how much to apply and how often. And since this stimulates growth when is the best time for the last application? (zone 6b/7a)

From my very limited experience this probably works best when the plant is going to have a growth spurt anyway. Like wind in your sails. But it is possible there is more to this. Haven't observed for long enough.

Overall this has been a great garden discovery for me. I dont think its a fluke and is going to be reproducible.

Have you tried AA or AA tea? How did it work for you?

Comments (195)