SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

Which Roses Don't Float Your Boat?

Do any of you mutter into your beer "I wouldn't grow that rose if they paid me" when someone shows off one of their favorite treasures, and everyone except you agrees it's the most precious thing ever? Perhaps I'm the only one who's so darn opinionated and judgmental about a poor flower that's never harmed anyone. After all beauty is subjective and we all have a right to our own opinion and there is no such thing as a right or wrong rose, am I right? Well, perhaps, but I thought for once we could all let our hair down and dish about roses that for one reason or another we can't stand, even if we're the only one on the planet who feels that way. Of course we all have to agree to disagree, and not take umbrage at anyone's choices. With some trepidation I'm going to go first, in the fervent hope that I won't be the only one posting here, and that the rest of you will not hate me. So here goes:

Perle d'Or - this is one that I truly believe no one feels meh about except me. It's not a bad little rose, and I grew it once, but it does not float my boat.

Ketchup and Mustard - the name alone does not please me, but I'm also of the opinion that bright red and bright yellow do not belong together.

Lady Ann Kidwell - I've seen it in person and I've seen it here, and it does not capture my heart. To me it's a messy and shapeless rose, in growth and in the flower form, and I'd rather have no rose than this one. Many people love it, and I'm very happy for them.

McClinton Tea - someone described this rose as looking like scrambled eggs, and I agree.

Glamis Castle - rather ordinary flowers on a viciously thorny bush that was out to get me, with a scent that was described as similar to the contents of a diaper pail.

The Ingenious Mr. Fairchild - long, snake-like canes that wandered everywhere, but mostly where I didn't want them to go. It ended up as wound upon itself like a crown of thorns, not the look I was going for in my garden.

Okay, it's your turn, everyone!!

Comments (92)