SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
holly_stockley

A Survey of Farmhouse Styles

Holly Stockley
4 years ago

Prodded by yet another post trying to make yet another McMansion into a "Nonsensical Adjective Farmhouse," I took my camera out on a wander today and got pictures of some of the real farmhouses that exist in my neck of the woods. I'll probably go back out a county over and add to these when I get a chance. There ARE some Italianate and other styles over there that I don't really see much out here. I might even try to get the Octagon, if I can find a safe way to stop on that road/hill for a photo.

Anyway, on to the photos, for those who need Farm House Inspiration (without "the aroma", as Great Uncle Jake would put it. And ignore the watermarks. Blogging to follow later)

First is the simple gable. THere is a bump out facing us here, and a small entry porch on the opposite side. White clapboard, shutters and a picture window that are later additions. Field stone foundation.

A variant of the above is the Cross-gable. The garage and "sun room" are obvious additions. I don't think that particular porch is original, either. Note, however, full cornice returns.

By far the most common style out here is vernacular version of Greek revival. Sometimes the porch has been enclose, sometimes not. Almost never do you see the sort of ornamentation that would appear on a genuine Greek Revival. No dentil moldings, etc. These were the workhorses of the colonization of the county. Simple and functional. Both the big picture window and the overhang to the right are additions to the original sturcutre.

These simple almost-but-bot-quite Craftsman-style bungalows are also see a LOT. Porch IS original, and this one has it's original windows. I love the curve on the far left window. Some have a gable dormer centered over the porch, some shed. I had a bit of trouble getting a good photo of this one because of all the trees. OTOH, I bet it's cooler inside than it would be without them! Farm house "AC". I also wanted very badly to try out the tire swing.

Another simple house with so much charm. Love that porch.

Many of the later farmhouses (past the initial colonization period) look like this. Again, brick foundation, covered sun porch. And this one has a side dorner.

This one was clearly a larger home to start with, probably belonging to a farm family with a bit more to their names. I don't think that "balcony" is an original feature (and the siding surely needs cleaning there! This is the North side of this house, and moss and mold set in fast around here). Still, this one is plainly still loved and nicely kept.

Four squares are also pretty common. This one has a brick porch, which is a little unusual. And a third story. It's also for sale, if anybody is interested. No acreage with this one any longer, though.

Possibly my favorite. The original structure is a square brick in the local Veneklassen style. (Local bricks from two different yards that produced different colors. They're combined in a decorative way, reminiscent of the native Holland of the people who lived here). There is quite a large addition, which has not been made to match, but instead is sympathetic in character to the original local architectural treasure.

This is an old foursquare that has recently had a facelift. It's adorable, although exposed rafter tails aren't something you typically see around here. This one belongs to a guy who owns a design/build/remodel firm. I wanted to stop by and ask him about it, but didn't want to interrupt his work on the garage he was building, just out of frame to the left. Love the cupola, though. *sigh*

So, there we are. What do these houses have in common? Most of them have simple footprints. Simple window placement, in a pleasing and symmetrical fashion. (often fouled up by later "remuddles". I spare you the particularly egregious examples with very bad pasted on bay windows). Most were originally white, but not always. Often they've been added on to. I kept trying (and due to traffic, failed) to get photos of the MANY examples that had not-very-well planned additions to simple gable or Greek Revival homes. Mostly just as an example how they developed generation by generation. The brick house above was the only one I spotted done well.

Enjoy!

Comments (27)