SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weedyacres

sick to my stomach about wire fraud

weedyacres
4 years ago

My agent emailed me wiring instructions for our closing, I took the wiring instructions to my bank yesterday late morning, they sent the funds, and when we went to the closing this morning, the title company said it hadn't received it.

Long story short: a scammer/spammer/pfisher somehow injected themselves into an email thread between my agent and me, and started emailing each of us individually, having changed a single character of our emails.

So a WF account has $175K of our money, and we're trying to get it back. Our bank requested a recall at 9 am this morning, I filed a fraud notification with WF, and apparently it's a waiting game until WF receives the recall request, investigates the recall request and fraud notice, and decides whether we can have our money back. It could take several days.

I'm sick, sick, sick. And most worried about whether the funds are still in the account to be returned. I have no idea if they already whisked them off to NIgeria. WF wouldn't tell me (privacy), but both my agent and I received weird emails from each other overnight saying the closing was postponed, so I'm hoping with what vestiges of hope I have, that this indicates they didn't have the money yet, and were trying to delay our finding out what was going on until they could.

Any words of advice or solace or encouragement?

Comments (65)