trump's tell? When he includes "sir"

Annie Deighnaugh

Of course I'm very tongue in cheek about this as it could simply be spurious correlation given how much and how often he lies.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/16/politics/sir-trump-telltale-word-false/index.html

I've fact-checked every word Trump has uttered since his inauguration. I can tell you that if this President relays an anecdote in which he has someone referring to him as "sir," then some major component of the anecdote is very likely to be wrong.

Lots of people do call Trump "sir," of course. But the word seems to pop into his head more frequently when he is inventing or exaggerating a conversation than when he is faithfully relaying one. A "sir" is a flashing red light that he is speaking from his imagination rather than his memory.
In poker parlance, it's a tell.

SaveComment13Like6
Comments (13)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Annie Deighnaugh

In a speech in January, Trump painted a colorful picture of the "strong, tough" farmers, ranchers and builders who stood behind him in 2017 as he signed an executive order to rescind a water regulation. "Half of them were crying," he told the American Farm Bureau Federation, especially one man so tough he might not have cried even "when he was a baby."

"He was crying," Trump repeated. "He said, 'Sir, you gave me back my life. You gave me back my property.'"

Touching if true. Absolutely not true.

4 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

Kind of like when he says “people are saying” “many people “some people” he has no source and is making it up.

8 Likes Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

Yes, Michael Steele recently said that when Mr. Trump says 'many people', you can be sure what follows is also a lie...

7 Likes Save    
socks(10a)

I have noticed all of this. And he also likes to say “you’ll see,”and “we’re looking into that.” Always vague because he really has no idea. And then his favorite word—I.

3 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Almost every number he gives is a lie too as the numbers will always keep growing in subsequent quotes. Like when he was trying to sell America on the Saudi arms deal:

Initially, he said it would create 450,000 jobs. Then, four days later, he said in an interview with Fox Business that the deal would create 500,000 jobs. Trump's claim grew to 600,000 on Friday and by Saturday he said 1 million American jobs rely on all Saudi investments, which total $450 billion. Source CNN

IIRC, the actual most optimistic estimate was 45,000 jobs...

3 Likes Save    
graywings123(7)

Actually Trump's lying "tell" is that his lips are moving.

11 Likes Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Good one, graywings

Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

Graywings, you forgot his fingers, he tweets remember.

2 Likes Save    
live_wire_oak

His lips move when he tweets too.

9 Likes Save    
nickel_kg(6)

We need his "tell" for when he's telling the truth.

2 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

Iive wire oak, Oh geeze! You nailed it.

2 Likes Save    
Delilah66

I’m the greeter for LWO:

Save    
HU9999

That nonsense about grown men crying is another fabricated thing he throws into his made up stories. He's such a sorry little man. He has to have these fantasies to make himself feel better. He probably tells himself these fables while he's going to sleep. If he weren't such a danger to the world, I could feel sorry for him. But he is dangerous and needs to be locked in a padded room for everyone's safety.

2 Likes Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Most Popular Building Permits: When a Permit Is Required and When It's Not
In this article, the first in a series exploring permit processes and requirements, learn why and when you might need one
Full Story
Kitchen of the Week Kitchen of the Week: Style Trumps Ease in a San Francisco Loft
What’s a little ladder climbing when you’ve got a gorgeous-looking kitchen design like this?
Full Story
Before and Afters My Houzz: Watch Kyrie Irving Tell Dad ‘Thank You’ With a Remodel
The Cleveland Cavaliers player uses Houzz to find a pro and shop for products to open up and brighten his father’s home
Full Story