SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dvd94

Sash cord dilemma! Advise desperately needed.

dvd94
4 years ago

I've been working pretty much none stop for a year to get my house ready for sale. I could see the light at the end of the tunnel - until today. I realized that it was a train barrelling my way!
I looked over the requirements to pass a COA (required in my town to sell your house) and it looked like everything was almost done - except "all windows must be functional". My house is almost 100 years old and has all cord-sash double hung windows. There was one that I knew was broken, but a handy friend came by and repaired it. It was not an easy job and was nothing like Bob Villa's videos. It took several hours, easily. My friend only said he would do it because I couldn't get any one to install a new window for less than $800 and even then the contract was so full of holes, I knew by the time it was done, I could expect almost double that - and that was the only guy to come by for a quote after calling around for weeks! Anyway, all the moldings needed removal and some did split and needed repairs. But it can be painted over, so no problem.
However, today I discovered that all (5) of the dining room windows have broken cords. The problem is none of them have the access buttons and the entire room has stained original wide board (pre-blight) chestnut moldings - surrounded by intricate trim. It is the nicest room in the house; removing the moldings would actually diminish the home's value - aside from the amount of work it would take and how expensive it would be to do - just for a few broken ropes.
So I'm wondering - does anyone know of a way to get the windows to function without it becoming a costly, major renovation? Thanks so much!

Comments (20)