SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_39177052745

Help! Kitchen Cabinet Paint - What Color is best?

Jora
4 years ago

So, we are going to paint our honey maple kitchen cabinets white and trying to decide between the few choices below:

All Benjamin Moore

- White Dove

- Cloud White

- Decorator's White

- Distant Gray

Our Kitchen colors are:

- Walls/Ceiling: Cloud White (thought we'd purchased White Dove). We just painted not too long ago so we will NOT be repainting

- Kitchen Island: Distant Gray (Also recently painted and won't be repainting)

- Baseboards: Simply White (open to repainting if necessary)

- Range Hood - White Dove & Stainless Steel (open to repainting if necessary)

Countertops are

- Cristallo Quartzite

Appliances

- Stainless Steel

Please note: We have natural light in part of the kitchen, and the other part not so much!

I'm partial to B.M. but open to all suggestions/other recommendations.

Looking for a white that is NOT too stark, and please NO hints of yellow, pink, blue....

As well, any advice on the finish (sheen) for the cabinets: Satin, Semi?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (44)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

You're painting cabinets and worrying about painting ( re do ) a wall, ceiling or baseboards??!

The easiest solution is White Dove, on everything but the ceiling . This should be done by a PRO in satin finish, using a conversion varnish, and a spray booth.

In any scenario, before deciding WHICH white, you need to test in your lighting, your kitchen with your counters. Paint a few large sample boards in satin finish and tape them up.

You have not provided your flooring info...........nor a picture of the existing kitchen. Flooring/counters are the real DECIDERS.

Jora thanked JAN MOYER
  • GreenDesigns
    4 years ago

Here is how I would expect a pro to spray paint kitchen cabinets. An amateur job should follow the same path. A brush painted job would differ slightly in that you wouldn't hang the doors to paint. You'd place them on a work table or easel instead. It's time intensive work, and should take 7-14 days for a Pro to accomplish completely and cost between 8--10K depending on kitchen size and amount of detail in cabinets.

Remove doors and drawer fronts.

Remove hinges and hardware.

Clean with degreaser

Rinse and let dry.

Scrape any loose finish.

Fill any damaged spots or hardware holes that won't be reused.

Sand fill smooth.

Scuff sand the rest.

Tack off dust.

Hang in dust free paint booth with wires through hardware points to spray both sides. Or lay on a spinner, and do one side at a time.

Tack off dust again.

Spray with shellac based primer.

Scuff sand again.

Tack off dust.

Spray with second coat of primer.

Spray with first finish coat of a polyurethane enamel (DIY) Or conversion varnish, (Pro product) . NOT house paint. Never house paint.

Spray with second coat.

If glazing is to occur, that is next.

Spray with clear over glaze that is compatible with base coat and glaze.

Add more molding or decorative details to boxes, filling nail holes and sanding smooth.

Repeat prep process with face frames and exposed cabinet sides using plastic to create a spray booth on site. If interiors are to be done, they are done before face frames and sides. Interiors are difficult, and add both time and expense to the job. Most interiors are laminate and don't accept paint well.

Allow everything to fully cure. That's 7-14 days.

Clean hinges and hardware and clear coat if you're keeping the old hardware.

Install new (or old) hinges and hardware.

Re-install doors and drawers and adjust for proper clearances.

If you are receiving or doing a job without this amount of effort, then you are not getting a quality job. You are getting a poor quality job that will not last.

Jora thanked GreenDesigns
  • Related Discussions

Help on deciding what color to paint kitchen cabinets

Q

Comments (11)
    You are lucky that your cabinets are not honey oak, that orange builder-grade color. Yours actually look like they have a nice dark stain. Painting, prep, etc is a lot of work. Your other finishes are nice too, dark pulls, pretty granite. Would you consider just doing a very pretty light backsplash? If you do go with paint, be sure to use BM cabinet coat. It will help cover the grain, though probably not all. There are many posts here on GW to help you with the process. With your brown granite you might look at BM Bone White. If you are looking for whites, lean toward the warmer whites. Here is a link that might be useful: [Kitchen with BM Bone White[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/kitchen-traditional-kitchen-minneapolis-phvw-vp~363542)
    ...See More

New kitchen cabinets, what paint do you recommend for best finish

Q

Comments (7)
    I used Cabinet Coat. You can special order it from any Ace hardware store. I researched the web extensively and heard nothing but praises for this paint. I originally wanted to use oil paint for its durability, but wanted water-based for ease of application. I chose Cabinet Coat because it is supposed to give a very durable finish, but doesn't yellow as oil does. So far I am extremely pleased with its nice finish and durability and plan to use it not only for my cabinets, but for all the woodwork in my house as I go along.
    ...See More

HELP! What color should we paint our kitchen cabinets to go with floor

Q

Comments (12)
    paint the uppers only, a white or mushroom....[putty]…..I think the bottom cabinet area will work with the floor then. The layer of wood cabinetry on the walls is very "heavy" , visually.....regardless of what floor exists. A change at eye level[walls] will change things in a big way. And the wood cabinets lower down will actually be good, as an "anchor" for your space. And get some runners/mats. You lack base drawers..at some point a replacement will come into your discussions..... so extra trouble of painting them isn't worth it.
    ...See More

what is the best white paint color for kitchen cabinets???

Q

Comments (2)
    Depends on whether you want a warmer undertone or a more grayer one. I like BM Mayonnaise, Chantilly Lace for an ivory look. Simply white for a really white look, and Benj Moore OC-17 White dove for a slightly grayer undertone white. Bring your counter, tile,etc to your local paint shop and get help looking at it under natural light. Or call a designer!
    ...See More
  • live_wire_oak
    4 years ago

Please, no grays. You should work with a designer to pull this together.

Jora thanked live_wire_oak
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

Gree designs is always great at actually listing all the steps to painting cabinets IMO wall color is the easy change but to keep it simple as Jan mentioned one color . The range hood if wood needs to be the same as the cabinets IMO. This is a job for pros there is nothing worse than a hack job of painting cabinets . Yes it is expensive to have done properly but worth it if you love everything else about your kitchen but if you think painting will fix poor function not so much.

Jora thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • remodeling1840
    4 years ago

Being an artist, you understand how color changes according to light. Paint the poster boards, one for each color you are contemplating. One day each, take one board and move it around your room. Find out what your kitchen wants. As an aside, a good woodworker could fix your existing cabinets, especially as they aren’t smashed and gouged. Then you could go on with your life.

Jora thanked remodeling1840
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

"The only reason we are painting them is because the guys working on the kitchen banged up several of the lower cabinet drawers, and although not easily detectable to others, I know they're there."

There's no furniture refinisher in your area??? REALLY? NONE??

I have no clue why the hood is painted dove.....but before you head into the woods of a total paint job, you may want to do more investigating to have this annoyance FIXED. Good Lord.......: ) You need a hammer to swat a fly?

Jora thanked JAN MOYER
  • Jora
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@ Jan -

"You need a hammer to swat a fly?"... :). Seems I do Jan! You ALWAYS crack me up.

I'm not a wood worker, but was told that the finish won't look the same because of the maple. I was also advised that our kitchen would accommodate being painted white better (esthetically) than the current honey maple. Hey, I'm just going by the advice of professionals (especially since I'm not one). :)

The reason the hood is painted dove is because since we were't doing a complete gut/remodel of the kitchen, we couldn't find a hood that we liked to fit the existing space, so we had to build one. Since matching the wood tone to the remainder cabinets was not. possible, we had to paint it white...and the only accommodating shade of white for our space was 'White Dove'.

@remodeling - Yes, you are correct, I do understand the concept of color changing based on light, and that's why we picked White Dove...but wanted to get feedback on this site from both pros and non-pros....since, from what I understand, it's what this site is for. :)

• cat_ky
    4 years ago

I am wondering who advised all this. 20 yrs ago, I am guessing you painted your parents cabinets with oil based enamel. Remember no paints are the same these days, as they were 20 yrs ago. If you really intend to paint maple cabinets that are pretty much maintenance free when a good person with stains, (professional), could blend the scratches right in, (Maybe not the one who advised paint white, because, they may not have been capable of making any repairs), then, make sure you buy paint that is especially for cabinets. Clean and sand well, and use a top quality sealing bonding primer, and then two coats of top quality cabinet paint.

Jora thanked cat_ky
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Keep to one color and just change “finishes”. You will have slightly different looks without fighting whites.

Jora thanked Flo Mangan
  • Bunny
    4 years ago

I haven't read the other posts. My cabinets are Cloud White and I love it. If you like a soft, creamy white, it's lovely.

Jora thanked Bunny
  • GreenDesigns
    4 years ago

Call the local Furniture Medic franchise to fix the existing cabinets and skip the white paint.

Jora thanked GreenDesigns
  • Jora
    Original Author
    4 years ago

cat - I'm sorry about the confusion. I realize I wrote in such a manner that it reads that a wood professional told me that the finish won't blend in (look the same) as our current maple cabinets and that the SAME person advised of painting them white.

Actually the professional telling me about correcting the nice on the maples was really a sales person, and being advised to paint the cabinets white (in lieu of keeping it as is) for esthetic reasons was actually people on Houzz. :) :)

Flo - I greatly appreciate the very short and incredibly helpful advice. If you actually come back to read updates not his post again, can you please help with one item?

Our wood shutters were painted Kelly Moore's Western Acoustic. We have a window that sits in between two maple shelving units (which we will be painting), and in close proximity of the remainder cabinets, and as well a second window (with shutters) in the kitchen. Should we match the cabinet paints to the shutter paint color? I would much prefer using BM paints, but am open to anything that will accommodate the esthetics of the kitchen.

Bunny - Thank you for the suggestion. The upstairs hallway cabinets used to be honey maple as well, and last year I painted them B.M. in Cloud White, and I have to agree with how creamy and beautiful they look. Cloud white is still in the running, I just need to make sure that the color doesn't fight with the shutter paint color (K.M. Western Acoustic).

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

I will check my paint sources on the Kelly paint and see if I can find out it’s DNA and compare it to BM Cloud White. Might be later tomorrow as I am booked with appointments most of the day tomorrow. Bbl

Jora thanked Flo Mangan
  • Jora
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you. Thank you Flo. You Rock.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Jora - I was afraid I wouldn't have time tomorrow and in 5 minutes it will be tomorrow! So I looked up Kelly Moore Western Acoustic but there was no such color. I am hoping it is 46-Acoustic White by Kelly Moore?? If so, the DNA of this color and BM Cloud White is very close.

Here are the numbers:

Kelly Moore Acoustic White: LRV 84; Lightness 94; Chroma 5.3; Hue Angle 98.6. It is in the yellow hue family in the cool segment.

BM Cloud White: LRV 85; Lightness 94; Chroma 5.2; Hue Angle 102.113. It is in the yellow hue family in the cool segment. They are about as close as you can get and on one comparison each of these colors come up as a "match". So I think you can safely go with BM Cloud White, just match the finish such as "satin" or "semi-gloss" etc. Hope that helps!

Nite

Flo

• Jora
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I know you are taking a very well deserved rest Flo, but whenever you read this another THANK YOU. You are ALWAYS helpful in every thread I see your name. People, like me, appreciate it beyond means.

We ordered our wood shutters a few years back, and when I looked up the order details in our files earlier yesterday, it says the color was 'Kelly Moore Western Acoustic'. :)

Might be that Kelly Moore is no longer doing Western Acoustic, or possibly changed the name to Acoustic White?

Regardless, I'm VERY thankful to you. I truly am. Especially when you had limited time tonight, and must be very tired, yet you took time to assist someone who needed it.

Wishing you a great night and a fabulous weekend.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Aww thanks. Sometimes manufacturers of finished products rename colors. With these numbers at least you know what the numbers are. I would send an inquiry or call the shutter supplier or Kelly Moore and talk to them. Western Acoustic wasn’t in the 200+ paint company’s colors (thousands of colors in this database). So further info is needed. Why don’t you get a sample of BM Cloud White and test it out. Hope you find right color and it works for your vision.

Jora thanked Flo Mangan
  • pleballerina
    4 years ago

If you do decide to paint your cabinets, don’t forget to number the drawers and doors and their corresponding cabinet boxes. It’ll be easier to reassemble them when you’re done.
    Good luck!

Jora thanked pleballerina
  • Jora
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Flo - Great suggestion. I think I may contact Kelly Moore prior to the shutter company and go from there. I do have Cloud White leftover paint - from a project, painting of upstairs hallway honey maple cabinets - so I will test it out. I'm guessing that Cloud White is warmer than White Dove? Thank you again. :)

Pleballernia - Great suggestion. Still deciding on whether to paint them myself or get a prof. to do it. I'm a 'shoot by the hip' kind of person when it comes to projects, but Hubby is very meticulous, so I'm sure he'll handle your suggestion part of the project. :)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

Call me dense.

You have a Dove White hood - you like it as you didn't go ahead and paint it as your island "Distant Gray" "which is really a WHITE, just a but grayed, but suited your aesthetic"

What is that, exactly. ? We still don't know the flooring, do we?

Why would you not just paint the entire kitchen cabs Dove White and include the trim, and the shutters? Re coat the hood if need be?

• Jora
    Original Author
    4 years ago

HI Dense! ;) ;). (thought I'd do as I was asked). :) :)

Yes, the island is distant gray, and although it might be regarded to as a white white (with gray in it), because of the lighting in the kitchen and the overhang of the countertop you can't not see that it's a white white (regardless, I can always slap a coat of paint on top of it if needed to match the remainder of the kitchen).

The range hood is White Dove, however I only have the primers and one coat of White Dove on it as it is still in the process. of completion, and I didn't want to put the final coat on until the hood was completed (again, I can put the last coat the same color as the island & cabinets) whatever it will end up being.

I also don't mind repainting the trim...but repainting the shutters is an absolute NO NO...so I'm guessing that since I will NOT, under any circumstance, repaint shutters...based on Flo's recommendations, will match the cabinets & etc. to the color of the shutters.

:)

Forgot to add the floor color: Light gray with very slight darker gray veining. :)

• Jora
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Flo - I know you have back to back appointments today, but when you get a chance I hope you can read this.

I called Kelly Moore and they said that it is called: Western Acoustic

The gentleman said that although Kelly Moore no longer is showing it as a paint color, they still can produce it. He also said that Western Acoustic has about 50% more yellow in it than Acoustic White.

I'm hoping to find a color in B.M. that will closely match it.

Thank you!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Hi. That explains why I couldn’t find it. So 50% more yellow? How is that measured? I sure wouldn’t want more yellow with grayed island and floor. No. The different whites need to work together but 3 different ones will no doubt be problematic. If shutter color stays stick with it.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Surely would like to see photos of this space.

• Jora
    Original Author
    4 years ago

HI Flo, the guy was a sales guy at Kelly Moore, whom I spoke with on the phone. Initially he said that Western Acoustic has a 'tad' more yellow in it, then when I called back to ask him exactly how much a 'tad' was, he said about 50%.

Our shutters are NOT yellow, they are white - but a warmer white (not beige or even nearly beige).

The island is B.M. distant gray, but it reads more of a crisp white (however undetectable because of where it sits and the over hang of the countertop.

The floor is gray right now, but we are planning on replacing all of downstairs with tile (most likely in the white family, but warm white).

Below are a couple of pix I just took. Please note that the pix are not the best as they are taken with my iPhone. I closed the shutters and turned on the kitchen lights in hopes you can see the paint colors clearly.

Out of the BM whites, which are the ones that would be complimentary to the shutter?

Again, I have no issues fixing the island and hood color to coordinate better.

I painted the open shelving on both sides of this shutter in B.M. White Dove (I already had the paint at home and wanted to test it out.

The shutters (throughout the whole house) were painted in Kelly Moore's Western Acoustic, by the shutter company.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

You need someone that has a Color Muse. That is a device you can order on line too. Then get an app like Color Guru that links to the Color Muse. You can take the Color Muse and set on your shutters and get an exact reading of the color. A good Color Specialist in your area should have this tool and could come to your home and analyze your color.

Jora thanked Flo Mangan
  • Jora
    Original Author
    4 years ago

FYI: At the time we ordered the shutters, the color was picked by a Designer in town.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Love that Mother of Pearl backsplash. Can you take shots from further back? Looks very creamy/yellow on my monitor.

Jora thanked Flo Mangan
  • Jora
    Original Author
    4 years ago

ate you referring to the shutter looking creamy/yellow? Here are s couple more.

• Jora
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Note to add: I believe the designer picked the Kelly Moore Western acoustic because the doors ( I believe) are SW Swiss coffee

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

It looks real pretty.

Jora thanked Flo Mangan
  • Jora
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you for being nice.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    4 years ago

If you are DIYing your cabinets, do yourself a favor and use PPG's Break Through. Nothing is tougher and nothing dries -and- cures as quickly. BenM's Advance requires 16 ish hours between coats, SW's Pro Classic requires at least 8. When you're doing an entire kitchen or bathroom that's an eternity.

Break Through you have to wait an hour.

Prep the cabinets thoroughly. Wipe up splatters and drips immediately because once it dries, it does not come off.

Break Through was originally formulated for paint store shelves. Had to cure fast and wear like iron. Every major brand tried to copy it for years but no one could figure out the formula. PPG finally just bought the company.

Jora thanked Lori A. Sawaya
  • Jora
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi Lori,

You ROCK! Thank you. I''m NOT a patient painter (or patient anything) so this info. is really beneficial, and will def. look into it to see where I can purchase it.

I was planning on a DIY, but haven't completely decided yet. Whether or not I paint the kitchen cabinets myself, I will def. use this product for other projects!

• jeffandalisa
    4 years ago

We also just purchased Cristallo for our countertops and island and are painting our cabinets white. I greatly appreciate all the feedback you have been given because I’m in the process of making those same choices. I just want to add that the pictures you posted were beautifUl. I would love to ask you what backsplash you used. It looks stunning!

Jora thanked jeffandalisa
  • Jora
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi JeffandLisa...YAY...another Cristallo owner!

Can you post pix of your kitchen before - I take it that your countertops, etc. have not yet been installed? What are your current cabinets/color, and what white are you gearing towards?

Backsplash is Mother of Pearl Seamless (or MOP as it's referred to). The pix don't do it justice as they shine, especially at night.

FYI - almost every pro on this site advised me against it.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

I love MOP. Just take care in cleaning. Enjoy. It’s beautiful!!

Jora thanked Flo Mangan
  • Jora
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi Flo - Thanks. I'm OCD when it comes to cleaning.

BTW: I stopped by at Kelly Moore on Saturday and had the gentleman make me a sample of the Western Acoustic that our plantation shutters are painted in. I haven't yet had a chance to sample it in the kitchen, but the color is more white than the yellow I had been told by the previous K.M. employee. I was also told by the second KM employee that the difference between the Western Acoustic and the Acoustic White (for which you so kindly found info. on for me) is only 10% more yellow (as opposed to 50% that the previous KM employee had indicated)!

• Jora
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Jeffandalisa - Did you already decide on cabinet color? If so, can you please share!

• jeffandalisa
    4 years ago

I went with BM Simply White. Now if I could only select a backsplash tile...Sigh. This is so difficult.

• Jora
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Jeffandalisa

Gorgeous Kitchen, thank you for sharing!

Hubby and I both decided on Simply White, and I changed it to White Dove at the last minute!

I hope I don’t regret it.

What is your countertop, it's very similar to ours?

I know that everyone, and their Mother, will disagree...but I really like the first tile from the far left.

• jeffandalisa
    4 years ago

Jora, We also have Cristallo. I have actually read your threads on Houzz and used what I learned to guide my decisions so far...including BM Simply White. My walls are Dunn Edward Fine Grain, which didn‘t go as well with White Dove. I’ve seen pictures of your kitchen and I can guarantee You won’t regret anything. Your kitchen is beautifuL. I even wanted to copy your MOP backsplash, but my husband didn’t like the shimmer of it. So for now, I get to stare at drywall against my slaB because I haven’t found anything that jumps out at me and this is a difficult stone to compliment. Sigh.

• Jora
    Original Author
    4 years ago

jeffandalisa - Well, actually A'Lisa! ;)

Too funny!

Thank you for the compliment, although not sure if we've made the right decisions thus far.

Our kitchen started as a "Hey, we need to get rid of these 6 x 6 beige tiles", to replacing/redoing almost everything.

Hubby and I weren't crazy about the MOP, but all the gorgeous tiles we fell in love with were over $65.00 -$400.00 sq.ft. Told my husband wasn't going to spend that much on backsplash. MOP was a good cross over (holding us in), until I give in and replace them all with the stuff we initially wanted.

Agree with "difficult stone to compliment..", but it's stunning regardless.

You don't have stare at drywall, instead stare at every other stunning piece you have in your kitchen!

Our cabinets are being prepped for painting as we speak. We'll see how the paint color choice will end up like.

:)

PLEASE share pix of your finished kitchen when backsplash is completed. DYING to see what you choose!