MS-13 Entered the US Then Stalked L.A. With Blades and Baseball Bats

catkinZ8a

An ultra-violent MS-13 group entered the U.S., then stalked L.A. with blades and bats

By JAMES QUEALLY, MATTHEW ORMSETHJULY 16, 2019 8:42 PM

One by one, the victims were lured to remote locations: an abandoned building in downtown Los Angeles, an empty rooftop in Hollywood, a quiet park in the San Fernando Valley.

Each was accused of a transgression against the notorious MS-13 street gang. Each would meet their end in a manner federal investigators described as “medieval.”

In one case, court records show, a 16-year-old boy was lured to a canyon and beaten to death in 2017. His body went undiscovered for so long that his remains wound up charred in a wildfire, according to coroner’s records. Earlier that year, another man suspected of defacing an MS-13 graffiti tag was abducted and dragged into Angeles National Forest. Six gang members cut him apart with machetes, according to prosecutors, who alleged that one cut out his heart.

The gruesome slayings were among seven Los Angeles-area murders linked to the Fulton clique of MS-13 in the last two years, according to an indictment unsealed Tuesday that charged 22 members of the gang, most of them in connection with first-degree murder and racketeering.

The sweeping, 78-page indictment marks the latest salvo between California law enforcement and the notorious gang, which was formed decades ago in Los Angeles and has recently escalated its violent tactics to increase its power, investigators said.

MS-13 has also become a bogeyman used by President Trump to justify stronger immigration enforcement by linking the issue to crime.

Nineteen of the 22 defendants charged in the indictment had entered the country illegally in the last four years, said Thom Mrozek, a spokesman for the U.S. attorney’s office in Los Angeles. Several of the victims described in the indictment were also new arrivals to the U.S. from Central America, officials said.

“These gang members sought out young victims in their teens and early 20s who were new to this country. Many had recently immigrated from El Salvador and Honduras. They were alone looking to fit in with others from native countries,” said Los Angeles County Dist. Atty. Jackie Lacey, whose office will prosecute several of the defendants on murder charges at the state level. “But instead, they met their demise quickly at the hands of gang members who preyed upon them.”

Four people were killed in the Angeles National Forest by members of the clique who wielded machetes, baseball bats and knives, the indictment alleges. A fifth victim was slain in the Malibu hills and a homeless man was shot and killed earlier this year in Whitsett Fields Park in North Hollywood, which prosecutors described as the clique’s “stronghold,” according to the indictment.

The slayings were motivated in part by a schism within MS-13. Paul Delacourt, the assistant director in charge of the FBI’s Los Angeles field office, said some younger members of the gang wanted to employ more violent means “to exert their dominance in Los Angeles as opposed to maintaining allegiance to the Mexican Mafia,” the sprawling criminal network that holds sway over most Latino gangs in the county.

“We’re seeing an influx of younger gang members coming into the area associating themselves with the Fulton clique who are extremely violent, who have to commit murders to join the clique,” U.S. Atty. Nick Hanna said.

All 22 of the alleged MS-13 members are in custody. Eighteen had been apprehended in the last year on a range of federal and state charges, authorities said. Three were arrested in recent days in the Los Angeles area by a task force composed of FBI agents, LAPD officers and Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputies. Another was captured over the weekend in Oklahoma.

Authorities filed two more cases under seal against juvenile defendants in federal court. Some of the suspects were high school students at the time of the slayings, according to a law enforcement official who spoke on condition of anonymity in order to discuss the case candidly. Some of the killings were also recorded by the perpetrators, the official said. In one case, a suspect posed for pictures holding items he’d stolen from a butchered victim.

MS-13 has about 20 active cliques in Los Angeles, but police had previously said the gang had waned in size and influence recently. Last year, then-Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck told The Times the number of active MS-13 members in the city had dropped from about 1,000 in 2011 to between 700 and 800 in 2018.

Beck said the gang was not among the five most active in the city, but stressed that he still considered them a threat. LAPD officials declined to discuss the gang’s size or territory Tuesday.

Earlier this year the department arrested several MS-13 members in an operation in the San Fernando Valley that stemmed from an investigation into the murder of Bradley Hanaway, a homeless man whose death was among those detailed in the indictment. In announcing that investigation, the LAPD said detectives had noted an uptick in MS-13 graffiti and activity in the area.

Claude Arnold, who once ran the Los Angeles field office of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement and spent the bulk of his career investigating transnational gangs, said similar surges in bloodshed have taken place in other MS-13 havens, including Long Island, N.Y., and Washington, D.C., when the areas saw an influx of new members from outside the country.

“These are newer entrants, so they’re making their bones with the gang, it’s just how it is,” Arnold said. “They want to make a name for themselves, and those are the people who are generally the most violent members of street gangs.”

The Fulton clique targeted people they believed to be cooperating with law enforcement, who belonged to a rival gang or who’d fraudulently claimed membership in MS-13, Lacey said. Six of the slayings described in the indictment unsealed Tuesday were committed to join or advance within the Fulton clique, authorities said.

Attempts to contact their defense attorneys were unsuccessful.

Authorities began digging into the Fulton clique’s activities in late 2017, when detectives investigating the disappearance of 16-year-old Brayan Alejandro Andino discovered the teen’s body in Lopez Canyon, said LAPD Deputy Chief Horace Frank. The teen was lured to the Lake Balboa area by two female associates of MS-13, and then beaten to death.

Frank said the brutality of MS-13’s attacks was almost unparalleled.

“No parent should ever have to experience what Brayan’s and the other parents and family members have endured, and continued to endure,” he said.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2019-07-16/ms-13-murders-los-angeles-gang

SaveComment25Like
Comments (25)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lurker111

Glorified warriors to the left. Another product of the left, just like antifa.

Save    
adoptedbyhounds

Where's that "spark of divinity" Nancy Pelosi talked about? I'm not seeing it.

3 Likes Save    
Jess

MS-13 STARTED in the US

Facts seem to catch the righties far too often

2 Likes Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"MS-13 STARTED in the US"

We know that.

It's also an international gang. Hence, the reference to having "entered" the US. Hope this helps.

2 Likes Save    
Jess

"MS-13 STARTED in the US"

We know that.

Oh.......... right

I guess that explains the title of the OP - MS-13 Entered the US

2 Likes Save    
Carro

Jess

MS-13 STARTED in the US

Facts seem to catch the righties far too often

It's fed and controlled by El Salvador. When a MS-13 member in my county was brutally hacked to death with a machete, her murder was recorded and sent to the people who ordered it.

In El Salvador.

To act like MS-13 is an American gang is woefully uninformed.

1 Like Save    
Chi

Lol, they don't care about facts.

1 Like Save    
maifleur01

Another laughable but sad moment when I find that people do not know that this type of thing although less organized has happened since the 1800's in the US. As a child visiting my grandmother we were warned if we saw a group carrying baseball bats to come immediately into the house because of groups like this. My grandmother lived in a mixed white neighborhood and the gangs from on the "cliff" would periodically want to show just how tough they were.

Save    
Carro

Want some more facts, chi?

Here ya go!

— 80 percent of the tens of thousands of Latin American youths who've crossed illegally into the United States and were seized by authorities have subsequently been placed with other illegals, some with ties to the gang.

— In calls to track the so-called "unaccompanied alien children" placed with adults in the U.S. illegally, contact has been made with only 56 percent.

"The UACs are often placed with sponsors who are in the United States illegally, with virtually no post-placement oversight by the federal government, exposing both the children and communities to increasingly profound waves of gang violence while perpetuating the illegal immigrant population," said the CIS report.

Of the 120,000 illegal youths to cross into the U.S. in the past three years, his report said that "thousands of whom have joined MS-13, either through coercion and threats or voluntarily, for protection."

It has helped to revive the gang, once eradicated in many cities before Obama's so-called "catch and release" program with illegal youths.

The report detailed criminal networks in some cities and tied the rise in crime to the growth of MS-13.

2 Likes Save    
Carro

I'm guessing "chi" doesn't have MS-13 hacking and dismembering murders occurring in his neighborhood.

1 Like Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Opinion

The source for those "facts" is an anti-immigrant group - focusing particularly on Central Americans.

2 Likes Save    
cait1

@ maifleur

Another laughable but sad moment...

So that makes it okay now because illegal aliens are doing it?

SMH

1 Like Save    
Chi

"I'm guessing "chi" doesn't have MS-13 hacking and dismembering murders occurring in his neighborhood."

I live in southern California and no, I don't. The only time I hear this kind of hysteria is on HT.

1 Like Save    
Carro

Well Chi, in my neck of the woods, MS-13 has increased once again, thanks to Obama's unaccompanied minors policies. The gang murders are brutal. I could tell you stories of murders that would make a buzzard vomit.

And I'll bet if mothers took their children to playgrounds were mutilated and bloody bodies get dumped in your neighborhood, you're attitude wouldn't be so cavalier.

1 Like Save    
Jess

Are all the righties fascinated with gruesome deaths.

That explains a lot

There is actually no requirement that you have to read about them

Most of us don't.

Save    
Chi

I wish the right cared as much about all the gun-related mass murders by US citizens as they do about a handful of immigrant gang murders.

For the record, I am 100% for criminals being deported.

1 Like Save    
Ziemia(6a)

MS-13 does exist in a nearby neighborhood.

Does not make me fearful of Hispanic youth. (Can't tell by looking which are here without documents either.)

Save    
maifleur01

Since my post was flagged and removed it probably because it was factual that similar gangs have been operating since the 1800s it does not make any difference if illegals are doing gang violence and to target only them as the US has their own gangs that are just as violent.

Not certain if I was warned yesterday not to hire a different tree service to complete some work later or the any other tree service would be attacked but the crew lead threatened violence as he left. Since the crew were Travelers I know their history and they do use violence.

Save    
elvis

Holy smokes, mai. "Travelers"? Is that a gang name?

Save    
maifleur01

I surprised that everyone is not aware of what Travelers are. They are the ones that travel the country doing home repair among other things either incorrectly or simply taking the money and running. Although they are considered to be Rom families they are so mixed that except for the family connections and shared names, which they seldom use their real names in their endeavors, they are the shady side of Rom's. Travelers is the term normally used by the police to describe them. I knew half way though their cutting down the trees what they were. I did not expect the guy to tell me not to let anyone cut down the other trees or to hire another service right before he left or he would deal with them.

2 Likes Save    
catkinZ8a

maifleur01

...'Not certain if I was warned yesterday not to hire a different tree service to complete some work later...'

Save    
sableincal

I had an experience similar to Maifleur's. No doubt about who they were. The "Travelers" wanted to re-pave our driveway. They argued and argued and only left when I said that I was going to have to call the police.

1 Like Save    
maifleur01

The company I used in the past is out of business and this one was working down the street so when they stopped I asked about taking down three trees. The quoted price was what I expected but he kept wanting to add removing more stuff. I might have if he was not so insistent. I told him that I would be cutting down additional small trees when he put his hand on one so while he may not have remembered me saying that the intention voiced later was clear. The company on the trucks was local and it was registered as a trucking company and lawn group on the proper places. Looking at the crew and his remarks told me what they were. I will continue to cut down what I want and if they return after the leaves drop they can finish the rest but that will be it. I am hoping since the season will be over and they will not come back.

Save    
catkinZ8a

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Design Pop How to Design a Lefty-Friendly Home in a Right-Handed World
In honor of Left Handers Day on Aug. 13, here are a few ways to make your favorite lefty’s life easier
Full Story
Healthy Home How to Childproof Your Home: Expert Advice
Safety strategies, Part 1: Get the lowdown from the pros on which areas of the home need locks, lids, gates and more
Full Story
Materials Quartz vs. Granite: The Battle of the Countertops
Read about the pros and cons — and see great examples — of these popular kitchen countertop materials
Full Story