SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tvq1

Odd size living room--what size rug?

tvq1
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

We're finally getting our house put back together after having new hardwood floors installed and finished. What a chore that was--but so worth it!

Now I'm looking for a new area rug for the living room. The one I have in there now is 8x10--and seems a little skimpy. It's fine for summer, as I like a "lighter" look for spring and summer. For fall and winter I'd like a different rug, something in the deep red tones. I've been looking at Persian Tabriz rugs on Ebay and a few websites. The prices are quite reasonable, BUT--what size will work best?

I know that 8x10 is too small. I'm finding that vintage/antique rugs come in odd sizes. There are not many 9x12's, but 10x13 are common and less expensive. Also--I really don't want to cover ALL of our beautiful new floor. Would it look odd to place the long side of the rug from left to right--from the sofa wall to the bay window? That way I could have more of the sofa and chairs on the rug, which would look more "grounded". The room measures 13'9" wide (sofa wall to just before the bay window area--not including the bay), and 13"4" long

I've included a few views of our living room--and I'd love some advice!

Thanks in advance.

PS: We are planning to repaint the walls soon. Although I've enjoyed the current color, I'm ready for a change. Something neutral, warm and much lighter.

Comments (11)