having curtains made at JC Penney's

maggie200

Has anybody else used a decorator from them and had curtains made?

SaveComment24Like
Comments (24)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
arcy_gw

Back in the day my mom had them come out, and they did make her curtains. I am really rather surprised they still have decorators on the pay roll. They quit that service years ago around here.

1 Like Save     Thanked by maggie200
watchmelol

I ordered custom pleated drapes from them back in the 70s. I also remember a lot of neighbors used them when mini blinds were in fashion.

Around here you can order custom blinds and shades but fabric coverings are pretty unstructured (they're just panels) so custom would be less likely to be available.

Save     Thanked by maggie200
jenson13

I used them for my living room sheets and they t beautiful

maggie200

We still have Penney's open here. But I worry they will close. it would be a shame..

1 Like Save    
maggie200

I went to Penney’s to look at drapes and went through a couple of books. Found very nice material. I had no idea about cost. The woman was very nice but knew more about the curtains that were all ready made there and couldn’t help me pin down what was affordable. She left and came back with a very rough estimate of $1500 for a balcony door and dining room window. That was 50% off. I had a feeling that since It took repeated calls to the drapery dept. she was not working in the custom drapes dept. but helping out’. The man who was to measure my Windows never called. She never called me.

I googled reviews of custom drapes made there and almost every state chimed in with horrible reviews of terrible sewing, mismatched panels, stains, months and months of waiting instead of the promised 5/7 weeks and no way to get money back. The reviews went back 10 years. Penney’s isn’t Penney’s anymore I’m sad to say.

Save    
nickel_kg

A while back there was a study that found older women were happier than younger women. I told DH that's because older women are more likely to have their search for window treatments over with!

Maggie200, good luck -- and yes it's sad Penney's is not what it used to be.

3 Likes Save    
chisue

J. C. Licht offers decorating services, including window treatments. Fabric alone has become very expensive, IMO.

Maybe Anglophilia will chime in here?

1 Like Save    
Andie

and yes it's sad Penney's is not what it used to be

I used to love shopping Penney's, but that was decades ago. My husband still wears some of their Arizona Jean Company polo shirts with the metal buttons that were purchased in the 80s. Back then you could find quality clothing at reasonable prices.

2 Likes Save    
salonva

Yes, Penney's did have a very good custom window department and I knew many fancy high end people who used it and were pleased. I remember going there and also just having a great selection of ready made curtains and such. The one where we used to live changed big time and I stopped going there- too depressing. Where we are now, I honestly don't even know where the nearest one is.. Sadly until seeing this, I haven't even thought of them.

maggie200

@nickel isn’t that the truth. I remember pouring over books for wallpaper too. I brought a sandwich and sat on a stool with other ladies. This was serious business. When someone said they found it. we all wanted her book. This is my last rodeo in window treatment and I wonder what I will do.
Want to know why I have to replace my drapes? Foster kitties with sharp little nails turned the lining of my drapes into strips.

Before and after

Save    
Lukki Irish

Maggie, do you ever venture into the decor forum? There are designers who offer advise and make custom drapery. 4Heidesign is one such person that comes to mind and she’s on Etsy.

Also, I had some valances made by a shop and they did a fabulous job. I knew the basics of I wanted and chose to provide the fabric, but my valances are perfection (IMO). The shop was both professional and reasonably priced. I’ve gotten JC Penny Drapes before and not only was it a time consuming ordeal, but it cost us an extra 200.00 to have them professionally hemmed because JC Penny couldn’t get the hem measurements right.

If you’re interested, I have no problem recommending the shop, there are lots of options on Etsy.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheIvyTrellis/items

maggie200

Hey Kool Beans. I will take your recommendation. Have bought lots on Etsy and never knew of this shop. Thanks so much.

Save    
breenthumb

If you have anything like Joanne Fabrics nearby, they may also be able to recommend someone local who does good work.

I got a recommendation for an upholsterer who did a beautiful job on my DR chairs. She was able to do it sooner than the upholstery shops, who were scheduling way out, and more reasonably priced (I already had the material). In my case it also helped that she was close, so easier to get the chairs back and forth but that wouldn't matter to you.

maggie200

@breenthumb. We have had a Joanns in Virginia. I'll check it out. Yes, it is nice to have someone close. Glad you took care of your chairs. I could update those too but this is enough for now. My curtains in the picture are 35 years old. There is also a window in the diningroom the kitties got. Big hole. They took out the weights in both areas. They had a a very good time. haha. Thanks.

1 Like Save    
Lukki Irish

Maggie, You’re very welcome. I don’t have good lighting right now, but if you’d like I can take a pic of the valances they made for me. They’re lined and everything.

Save    
maggie200

@Kool Bean I would love to see them. I need help with that. As you can see I have 18 c. Furniture and chippendale in the dining room. Here

Save    
maggie200

BTW I keep two lit trees in my living room all year round & they have my favorite decorations on them and never have to go back in the box again.

1 Like Save    
maggie200

I would love it to be more eclectic. My trees give me joy. My condo will be sold I would guess in 7 years at the latest and the curtains should reflect a transitional vibe for someone hopefully. So I say.

Save    
Lukki Irish

Oh, what a pretty home Maggie, I will post pics this weekend for you!

Save    
maggie200

Kool beans. Thanks for the compliment. It makes me cry. Maybe the style will come back. I would like to give it to someone who would be happy to have it.

Save    
Lukki Irish

Hey Maggie why don’t you post a couple of inspiration pics of drapery styles that you like, do you want print or solid and what colors are you attracted to?

Save    
maggie200
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>@kool beans I can do that I’m on Pinterest and have collected window treatment through the years. I saw something recently that was very simple for s cornice. The large curtains hide a balcony door. I keep the curtains closed. My inspiration is very simple for this. I’ll be back
Save    
roxanna7

maggie, this is OT, but had to say "hurrah!" for your year-round Christmas trees -- I do the same! Three years ago, I loved the way my tree turned out so much that I decided to leave it up permanently. It still makes me happy, and one big reason is not to have to deal with putting things away and dragging them out again. YAY!!

Save    
OutsidePlaying

Do you have a fabric store near you that has drapery fabric? I had a couple of Roman shades made recently. There is a fairly small drapery and upholstery fabric store near me and they keep a list of fabricators. I chose one they had used recently. She made and installed them for around $100 each and that included blackout linings. One was pretty wide. I had to purchase the fabric, etc of course but still came in quite reasonable. She came and measured and told me how much to order. While here she measured other windows so she has the details in case I get ready to do more.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Bathtubs Shower Curtain or Shower Doors?
Find out which option is the ideal partner for your shower-bath combo
Full Story
Decorating Guides Ceiling-Mounted Curtain Tracks Open Up Possibilities
These window treatments show what you can do when a wall-mounted drapery rod is awkward or unworkable
Full Story
My Houzz My Houzz: Creative Thrifting Beautifies a Texas Bungalow
Secondhand finds and a designer’s gift for reinvention turn a historic-district house into a quirkily elegant family home
Full Story
Our design services are tailored to your unique needs, timeline and budget. With your vision and our expertise,... Read More