I'm fairly new and was wondering about forums.

Andie

I've been searching for a current events/political forum and can't find anything. Is there one here?

SaveComment45Like
Comments (45)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blfenton

Welcome Andie. There is -

Hot Topics - have a thick skin and enter at your own risk

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/hottopics

Have you tried reddit? I only lurk there, I don't participate

https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/

1 Like Save    
maifleur01

If you want to argue Hot Topics is where there is a continual battle between various factions. If you go expect to be blasted.

Save    
bpath reads banned books too

Follow hot topics for a while before you plunge into the fray.

3 Likes Save    
sushipup1

Hot Topics is under the Gardening forums, and The Kitchen Table (alphabetical under "T") is in the Home forums.

1 Like Save    
joyfulguy

Really knowledgeable, helpful, friendly bunch, here, Andie.

Hope you come back, introduce yourself and join the fun.

ole joyful ... in southwestern Ontario

Save    
DawnInCal

I read the posts there sometimes and have posted a couple of times. So far, I've managed to stay under the radar and I still have my hide...

2 Likes Save    
Chi

They aren't that bad. :) You learn who tries to bait arguments, and all the people who are worth ignoring. But yes, a thick skin and the ability not to take things personally will help.

1 Like Save    
DawnInCal

I think for some of them, it's a game or source of amusement. They can't possibly take some of the stuff they say seriously. But, then again, maybe they do. Hard to know what to think these days.

1 Like Save    
Chi

Oh I think a few are trolls, for sure. Or get reimbursed for their efforts. We just aren't allowed to say that. :)

5 Likes Save    
Uptown Gal

Hi Andie....I have been here quite awhile, but not every day and don't post

often. Stick around and read and see if it is the type of forum that fits you.

Some really nice people here...some so-so ;), just like real life.

Save    
Jasdip

Apparently it's gotten worse on HT, so bad that some are getting long-time GW posters banned. That is so childish.

3 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

HT isn't for everybody, but those of us who are armadillos do manage.

7 Likes Save    
graywings123

With Hot Topics, I find it best to post my opinion, read other opinions, but not engage further. Whenever you see a high number of comments on a thread over there, the thread has gone off the rails and it isn't worth reading. I can't imagine what the lives of some of those people are like. I agree with Chi's comment above.

2 Likes Save    
Chi

"Apparently it's gotten worse on HT, so bad that some are getting long-time GW posters banned. That is so childish."

Yes, I've seen many long, long term people banned. I think some people work together to bait and then report people. It's really sad and just something to be aware of. But if you stay away from personal attacks, they can't do much.

Save    
patriceny

I 100% agree with Chi. I skim through a fair bit but you can probably count on 1 hand the number of posts I've ever actually typed out there.

It is, at its core, a perfect microcosm of our society as a whole right now. I too think one or two may receive some sort of remuneration for their work. (Hopefully that was sufficiently vague....)

1 Like Save    
Chi

As long as you don't mention individuals by name, it's fine to talk generally about things like that.

Save    
Andie

Blfenton, thanks for the link. I completely missed Hot Topics in my search.

And thank you all for the words of advice and the warnings. I'll take them to heart when I venture over there.

Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

I too hope you might hang around a bit on Kitchen Table. See you around!

Save    
joann_fl

You can usually find out everything on this board. You don't need the news with all of us here.

Save    
Andie

Whew! Stumbling back here after a brief visit to Hot Topics. Threads were disappearing as fast as I was reading them. Then I read this one about bots. Does this website allow bots?

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5747669/a-very-busy-person-or-a-bot#n=9

Save    
maifleur01

They say they do but they do not appear to look for them actively. Edited to add that during the 2016 election it was more obvious than it is currently when posters would be commenting and posting information that was just then appearing in news feeds at the same time.

Save    
Andie

Well, it appears the thread I linked has now disappeared. That's very curious.

Save    
maifleur01

The bot one is also gone. I seldom remember which threads I post on but this morning I mentioned that this country had gangs since the 1800s which is historically accurate and it was flagged a short time later. Sometimes I do post things that are accurate especially about history and then wait to see how quickly they would be removed. Apparently the powers that be do not know history because they are seldom returned.

2 Likes Save    
Lucille

I think some people work together to bait and then report people.

It takes two, the baiter and the baitee, to get someone banned. There is nothing wrong with walking away from the computer, walking the dog, having some ice cream, and then coming back.

1 Like Save    
Andie

Sometimes I do post things that are accurate especially about history and then wait to see how quickly they would be removed. Apparently the powers that be do not know history because they are seldom returned.

That's somewhat alarming.

Save    
Annette Holbrook(z7a)

I finally deleted HT from my list. It just stressed me out way too much.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Andie, threads and posts do disappear and it is disconcerting...sometimes removed by the powers that be for getting too full of personal attacks or violating the rules of the road...or sometimes removed by the participants but apparently it takes two to flag it before it will be removed. It would seem there are serial flaggers, but the powers that be tell us that people will get reprimanded for that too...

There also seems to be more scrutiny of the initial post vs. subsequent posts. So, for example, masked profanity in the OP will cause the thread to get pulled, but sometimes not if posted later.

It is truly a toddler playground at recess so it does seem to need a lot of adult supervision vs. most other discussion areas. Not for the faint of heart.

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

Andie, your comment......Whew! Stumbling back here, made me laugh.

I visited HT just a couple of times, and I couldn't wait to come back here!!

It can get cantankerous, somewhat confrontational here at times as well, but nothing like HT. The world, day to day life isn't a bed of roses, la-la-land so back and forth discussions and opinions are welcome.

Save    
blfenton

Like maifleur I have posted a couple of fact-filled historical posts that seem to disappear. I don't post all that much but do construct my posts so as to fly under the radar of those who like to delete.

And recently a lot of posts have been getting deleting and in some cases, justly so. I never delete a thread or a post, I like to see people getting called out for uncalled for remarks - from all sides.

Save    
Chi

There's only one person I flag consistently, and that's because this person has made dozens and dozens of very nasty personal attacks and never seems to be reprimanded or face any kind of consequence for it when others seem to get banned for far less.

I actually haven't seen her around lately so maybe she finally did.

I always laugh at the new names that pop up, post 20 or 30 times in a day or two and then disappear. I've seen it twice just this week. Makes you wonder.

1 Like Save    
Andie

I posted over there this morning and I'm appalled at the subsequent comments. Why is that behavior allowed?

1 Like Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

good question andie.

Save    
sjerin

Andie, do you mind my asking which post you started or commented on? I'm still trying to figure out the flagging situation, as there isn't always rhyme nor reason. HT has changed quite a bit in the last few years, imo.... But that doesn't stop me from reading.

Save    
Andie

Sjerin, it was the Epstein thread.

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5758236/trump-and-epstein-partied-together-then-a-mansion-came-between-them#n=12

I posted 2 comments and they're both missing. The first one read:

"Maison de l’Amitie — the House of Friendship.

How ironic."

The second was a comment on the trashy comments that followed. I was gobsmacked. I see those are now missing too.

Save    
sjerin

Find comfort in the fact that both sides complain the flagging is out of hand. It's my belief (I know nothing about how Houzz works, so this is only my opinion,) that in order to save $ on personnel costs they most likely have an algorithm that simply removes any comments flagged, by anyone. However, some do return, supposedly after having been looked at by Houzz (--another algorithm?) But I doubt there's much in it for Houzz, so I don't suppose they actually do much about those who use the flagging tool to their advantages. Sure makes reading a post difficult and most annoying. But, that won't deter me from reading and occasionally commenting! I also wonder if a few posters are being paid for their time on HT. :)

Save    
maifleur01

The other night one of the regulars admitted that they just flagged anything they did not like. While supposedly it takes two flags to remove a comment last Friday it seemed like a post was barely there and it was gone. Currently there is a lag time between my hitting submit and my comments being posted. I am suspecting I am on the bad list as back when I worked at a certain place when people were being monitored there was also a delay. HT is not the discussion group that it was before about late 2015 and is more like a bunch of hounds baying at a fox sometimes.

1 Like Save    
Chi

I think the flagging threshold needs to be raised. 2 to remove is silly. Two motivated people could shape the forum.

1 Like Save    
Elmer J Fudd

I've never found that forum to be of any interest to me. I very rarely open it up but when I have, I don't think I'm missing anything. What people say or don't say seems to be repetitive and predictable.

If you want to have a thoughtful conversation about current events, find a person you agree with and one you disagree with and do it with them.

Save    
sjerin

They are on top of things, usually as soon as they're reported, though. I do learn quite a bit from reading HT. Our Annie (here) is a thoughtful and thorough poster there, and I appreciate her posts.

Eta: Chi, I also enjoy reading your studied, fair and well-thought-out posts!

3 Likes Save    
Andie

Yes, I'm enjoying reading a number of rational, reasoned posters. That would include Annie, Chi, Rob, and Chase.

3 Likes Save    
Raye Smith

Only time I had to flag someone was because the person threaten to kill an elected official! I hope it was reported to the powers that could stop such a thing. I don't think I've every seen a post from that name again.

Save    
bpath reads banned books too

Why is that behavior allowed?

Andie, I'm more surprised at why that behavior even occurs.

Unless HT has a monitor watching every single comment come in, it's going to happen. And if HT had a monitor watching every single comment come in, it wouldn't be an open forum. It's really a conundrum. And I agree, there are a few posters I read, and the rest I don't even bother to look at, not even their comments.

Save    
NewEnglandgal

Andie I ventured over there just once and decided I wanted to have peace and tranquility in my life and never went back! lol

Save    
sjerin

I miss you, Lily!

Andie, I'm more surprised at why that behavior even occurs.

Rhetoric begets such behavior, bpath. When the person at the top feels free to spout such vile things, many feel free to follow suit. All politicians who have passed, left, right and center, must be rolling in their graves. I just wish the ones who are still kicking would not be so afraid to speak out, and get rid of Citizens United, which is the root of much of the evil of our current political arena.

1 Like Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Thanks, guys....I appreciate it.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Life You Said It: ‘Just Because I’m Tiny Doesn’t Mean I Don’t Go Big’
Changing things up with space, color and paint dominated the design conversations this week
Full Story
Most Popular Everything I Need to Know About Decorating I Learned from Downton Abbey
Mind your manors with these 10 decorating tips from the PBS series, returning on January 5
Full Story
Fall and Thanksgiving 10 Things Around My Home That I’m Thankful For
A designer shares the comforts big and small that she is grateful for
Full Story