Speaking of neighbors...remember the dog sitting/beach camping debacle

always1stepbehind

It's that time of year...it's been 3 years since the dog sitting for my neighbors/friends...beach cottage camping debacle. I thought we were moving on...but it never really happened. I'm not going to beg anyone to be my friend so it's like we barely even know each other. Courteous neighbors at best. Very sad.

SaveComment17Like1
Comments (17)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
amylou321

I remember. Its really too bad that they behave that way. But you're really better off. You don't need "friends" like that......

Save    
aok27502

That's been three years?? It seems like last summer!

Save    
Judy Good

Do not remember the story but, I hate grudges. Those that hold grudges are losing out on a lot of great things, Life it too short.

Save    
arkansas girl

I don't remember the details anymore but I do remember an issue with the pet sitting and the lady was mad about something. With "friends" like that, who needs enemies!?

Save    
marilyn_c

Judy Good....

6 Likes Save    
OutsidePlaying

I remember. And it does seem like yesterday. Sad some people can’t move on. And wasn’t she the one who expected you to be full time ‘on call’ and present even though you had your own vacation planned?

Save    
sleeperblues

I don't remember the story, but had my own dog sitting nightmare when we were in Croatia for 2 weeks. Found out she really neglected my dogs, locked all 3 in the bathroom for 12 hours, and actually went to Minneapolis all day one day (2 hour drive) and told a friend of mine she paid some kids to let the dogs out and they never did. My friend heard the dogs barking and barking, which was unusual for them, and went in and found them locked in the bathroom! I have never been so furious in my life! And she charged me 850.00! Sorry for venting on your thread, but it felt good to let that out.

1 Like Save    
OutsidePlaying

Good grief, sleeperblues! Did you pay her in advance? I would not have paid her all that much if she didn’t deliver as promised. Was this a neighbor or someone for hire?

Save    
nicole___

sleepeerblues...wow! I'd be upset as well! Those poor babies!

Save    
always1stepbehind

OMG!!! Sleeperblues...NOW that I could see ending a friendship over. That is awful. Your poor babies :-(

Save    
DawnInCal

I don't recall the story, but I'm sorry that happened to you. Holding grudges takes way too much energy. None of us need that kind of negativity in our lives.

Sleeperblues, that is awful! Your poor dogs. I got together with a friend a couple of months ago for a four day weekend. She had a cat sitter scheduled (one she has used before) who forgot and never came to feed or water the cats the entire four days! Fortunately, my friend had left water for them, but they were very hungry and upset. Friend was upset too; not sure what she decided to do about the cat sitter.

Save    
always1stepbehind

I do wonder, what their side of the story sounds like when they tell someone why we aren't friends anymore. And I know they tell it, because I would hear every story of each and every person she had beef with. Her parents, her brother, longtime friends, co-workers etc etc. I'm definitely not the first person she stopped talking to, but I was sure surprised to be on the receiving end from her.

Save    
yeonassky

So sorry Always that you have been treated poorly by the other person. It is too bad that she continues to show her true nature in such an unflattering way. I would kill her with kindness. It is a wonderful way to confuse people I would say glowing things about her and say I'm sorry she feels that way but this this and this I like very much about her and I would let it get back to her. But I would not go back with her if she asked. I don't trust people like that but I just want them to wish they could be my friend again. It's a sly kind of revenge.

So sorry that happened to your dogs sleeperblues. I honestly don't understand that kind of thinking

I am looking after Dorothy the doodle right now and I can't imagine treating any dog other pet like that. She is a member of my family when she's here. She has a bed to sleep on right beside us like our other two dogs. Our cats sleep downstairs with the DS and DN. Dorothy is 7 this year and she has been coming to my house since she was 3 months old.

What I do when I dog sit, cat sit or pet sit parrots etc is I take a daily picture and make a a short journal entry everyday. I then make a little book for the clients. I also send texts or emails of course but use other pictures for the texts. They seem to appreciate my efforts.

People who have pet sitters could require something like a daily time and date stamped photographic update via email/text. It might curtail some of the shenanigans.

I just do it because I actually enjoy the mini creative process. Letting people know their pets are healthy and happy makes me feel good too.

2 Likes Save    
sleeperblues

Always1step, thanks for being so gracious after my rant! I paid her half when we got back before I figured out what happened. But then I unfriended her and blocked her number. I will not recommend her, that’s for sure. They survived and seem none too worse for the experience

Save    
carabubble

Just curious, would you mind retelling what happened three years ago?

Save    
Save    
carabubble

Thank you, Pudge.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
The Polite House The Polite House: How to Handle a Grievance With a Neighbor and an HOA
A condo resident complains about noise from a toddler out with her mom on a 7 a.m. dog walk. Does the mother have any recourse?
Full Story
The Polite House The Polite House: How to Deal With Noisy Neighbors
Before you fly off the handle, stop and think about the situation, and follow these steps to live in harmony
Full Story
Simple Pleasures Simple Pleasures: The Art of Being Neighborly
Learn the heartfelt gestures that go a long way in creating a welcoming community
Full Story