What a I looking for?

satine_gw

I need to decrease the height between my doorstep and the floor of my patio. Stepping down is difficult because the step seems too high and it is difficult coming back into the house because of the height of the step. I think there is an item that would sit on the patio that would almost create a mini step. Know what I mean?

SaveComment22Like
Comments (22)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maddielee

How tall is your step? If you need 1”, maybe you could lay (fasten securely) a few pavers on your patio floor? Of course that may become more of a hazard, a tripping hazard. The safest bet would be to have the stairs rebuilt and add a handrail.

2 Likes Save    
bpath Oh Sophie

I couldn’t think of what they were called, so I just googled “outdoor half step”, and got the link shown below:

Outdoor half step

Save    
bpath Oh Sophie

I started out looking at Gold Violin, but I see they’ve been taken over by Blair. I was never a fan of Blair; Gold Violin had some nice make-your-life-easier items.

Save    
morz8

I bought a platform step to carry in my SUV for my Mom. I could not get her into and out of my car without it. Very sturdy, weatherproof, ample size for safety but light enough to move. If the height worked out to be something that would help you.

I've bought two. I bought the one for my Mom and DH loaned it to a friend who'd had knee replacement. He's always so helpful and generous! But - I needed it for her and it wasn't here so had to buy another.

Amazon platform step

Save    
maifleur01

Look at a sporting goods store for something similar that is used in some aerobics/step classes. However I would worry that if you stepped on it then used your foot to push off rather than just stepping straight up the force would slide it from under your foot. I think the pavers glued or cemented down would be a safer option.

If you are starting to have problems climbing stairs it may also be time to start thinking of installing a ramp if they are allowed in your area. They can be pricey if you have them professionally installed as the criteria when I last looked was one inch rise for every linear foot with a platform added when the height of the stairs is more than 30 inches. They are worth it if you are planning on staying in your home..

Save    
glenda_al

Just ordered this from WalMart. Amazon had it but I got it cheaper. Just what I need. Nonskid. I can see many uses for it. Might order another if I like it. Says it weighs 3 lbs.

Portable folding step

Save    
joann_fl

Just get some bricks or wood to raise the step.

1 Like Save    
glenda_al

I had installed on both sides of my steps handle bars to my rails and it makes going up and down steps so much easier.

1 Like Save    
bpath Oh Sophie

Glenda, I had one of those little folding steps in my minivan for ages! Perfect for my mom, who is tiny and at the time was in her 80s. I "lost" it when I "lent" it to my aunt who'd had a fall while visiting and couldn't get back into her minivan without it. But at about the same time, it was no longer helpful for my mom, she was only able to get in and out of her car, so I didn't need it anymore.

1 Like Save    
schoolhouse_gwagain

My aunt has the one in bpath photo. She has nephropathy in her feet and when I'm at her house, I cringe every time she steps down from her garage door stoop onto that half-step. It just doesn't seem substantial enough or wide enough. She likes it and is apparently used to it.

1 Like Save    
Sammy

Would a handrail be better for your situation, bpath? Or a grab bar? Actually, wouldn’t that also be a better solution for your aunt, schoolhouse?

I had installed on both sides of my steps handle bars to my rails and it makes going up and down steps so much easier.

Glenda: I’m trying hard to imagine what it is you’re talking about, but I remain confused. Can you take a picture? :)

Save    
glenda_al

Grab bars, condo maintenance installed for me. This may not be the exact ones I purchased, but this gives you an idea. Perfect for me on my outdoor steps. Several elderly residents, like me, have them on their steps.

2 Likes Save    
Sammy

Okay, gotcha, Glenda. Grab bars are a great thing! The words “handle bars” are what made me scratch my head. ;)

Just a note of caution to any and all who may read this: if you’re having balance problems, the last thing you want to do is use a step stool or platform...of any height! They are, after all, used in physical therapy and exercise classes as strength-building tools, not as mobility aids. So, unfortunately, both of these are really bad ideas for how, it seems, some of you intend to use them.

The last thing any of us wants to read is that someone at the KT has broken a hip! ;)

2 Likes Save    
glenda_al

Sammy, the above are not intended for exercising. Not strong enough. I know from Silver Sneakers classes at the Y.

The folding step is perfect for those, like me, that do group travel, getting on and off buses, etc, and getting in my son's truck (with his assistance).

1 Like Save    
satine_gw

Bpath you hit the nail on the head. That is exactly what I am looking for. Thank you so much.

Save    
arkansas girl

I think some cement stepping stones in a rectangle shape would work great. Like the preformed ones you can buy at Lowe's in the 12" X 18" shape. I think you can buy even bigger sizes too.

1 Like Save    
ont_gal

I have 2- 2x10"x36" boards nailed together--works perfect for me!

1 Like Save    
morz8

Sammy, my Mother's PT after her last osteoporosis fracture approved the platform step I bought from Amazon. She gave it rave reviews for safety and ease in entering and exiting my car. At 19" wide, it's plenty of space for both feet firmly placed, and Mom can turn on it and face me, sitting on the car seat edge. Then her legs go in and she can turn and face forward in the seat.

1 Like Save    
Sammy

I think this is a worthwhile discussion. Hopefully people will take the time to read the particulars to see whether or not the solutions mentioned are fit for the purpose, which, I’m glad to know in Glenda’s and morz8’s cases, they seem to be.

1 Like Save    
lgmd_gaz

Once you get an aid in place (like the half step) to shorten the height of stepping up, just a simple drawer handle attached to the door frame can help greatly in getting you safely up or down. I have been using one for years to manage that one step onto my porch. The handle there is attached to the porch post. I find that going down the step is safer/easier for me if I go down backwards. Several of my friends and family have placed a handle for me where needed at their homes and say that they find they are using it themselves. These are about 4 inches long

1 Like Save    
georgysmom2

I know exactly what you're talking about. When we built our first house in the 60's, there was one step going into the back door that was just a smudge too high. We don't realize it, but our brain is conditioned to pick up our foot just so high when climbing steps. I would trip every single time but I was a lot younger then! It's very annoying.

Save    
morz8

Talking stairs....My SIL is in Europe vacationing and they spent 3 nights on a little island off the coast of Croatia last week. She emailed....from the street to our apartment...65 stairs.... no two are same height or finished alike ;0)

Save    

Related Stories

Gardening Guides 6 Reasons I’m Not Looking Forward to Spring
Not kicking up your heels anticipating rushes of spring color and garden catalogs? You’re not alone
Full Story
Life You Said It: ‘They Looked at Me Like I Had 10 Heads’
Design advice, inspiration and observations that struck a chord
Full Story
Inside Houzz Inside Houzz: Explore the Houzz App’s New Features and Cleaner Look
By Houzz
Update your Houzz app for iPhone®, iPad® and iPod touch® to get more of what you love
Full Story
Product Picks Guest Picks: ‘Downton Abbey’ Looks That Look Great Today
These modernized versions of high-society favorites will serve you well all around your own manse
Full Story
Rustic Style Style 101: The Birthplace of Today's Rustic Look
A look back to the beginning of cabin and lodge design can help you decide on a rustic look for your home today
Full Story
Remodeling Guides Here's (Not) Looking at Loo, Kid: 12 Toilet Privacy Options
Make sharing a bathroom easier with screens, walls and double-duty barriers that offer a little more privacy for you
Full Story
DIY Projects Silk-Screen a Tumbler for a Singular Designer Look
Turn a cheap thrift store piece into a rich-looking, personalized decor accessory in this unbelievably easy DIY project
Full Story