SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_857527483

Matching Stair Color Help!

Caroline Purdue
4 years ago

We're remodeling our recently purchased home. We're doing major renovations on this house. Currently the downstairs is hardwood, the stairs and second floor are 20 year old carpet. We're replacing the entire second floor with hardwood, and will be replacing the first floor with matching hardwood as well - it's a stretch on our budget but my husband and I agree it's worth the extra money to replace instead of refinish downstairs since it doesn't save all that much in the end. This means the upstairs and downstairs will match - but our stairs/railing won't.

We simply can't take on the cost of doing anything but painting or staining the currently carpeted stairs (under are solid wood stairs that just need love). I intend to paint the risers white, and our floor guy mentioned he can stain the treads a similar color, but it won't match. I almost feel, in this case, it'd be better to make this a unique statement, but am afraid to do anything crazy! Can anyone give some ideas or advice here? I still want it to still look cohesive and beautiful, and yes would still like to change the color of the banister and will most likely do it myself (already planning to paint the spindles white). Ideas appreciated! Eventually I do want to add molding accents to the wall to the right in the below pictures so that WILL be a statement.

Current stairs:

Hardwood selection (Mirage - Stillwater/Character flooring) and our kitchen cabinet colors.

Comments (2)