It's 8:30 pm and it's still

Kathsgrdn

86 degrees out. My phone says it feels like 91. Just came in from digging grass out of the flower bed and putting mulch down, watering everything and it feels more like 110 to me. My face is bright red and I'm soaking wet.

SaveComment28Like1
Comments (28)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Michael

I've spent the past three afternoons attending Little League All Star games in the high 80's, low 90's. A cool shower and Carrier A/C for this evening.

2 Likes Save    
Kathsgrdn

Yep, I'm waiting to stop sweating before I jump in the shower.

Save    
glenda_al

Temps down to 79, but very humid!

Save    
PRO
Anglophilia

It will still be very hot her when it's 1AM - it really doesn't cool off much at night. Thank God for AC!

1 Like Save    
sephia_wa

83 here in Seattle today. We have humidity but thank goodness it's not sticky hot.

Save    
bengardening

here in SD it is still 85 and feels like 90 at 9 o'clock. today it felt the hottest of all summer. We had a little rain this morning and I think that just made it worse.

Save    
Kathsgrdn

We're supposed to get rain sometime next week and I can't wait. I complained a few weeks ago that it wouldn't stop raining but I sure wish it would.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

I very much dislike heat with humidity.

4 Likes Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

That's mild temperatures! Lol

2 Likes Save    
PRO
Anglophilia

I detest heat and humidity, but have lived much of mine where there is both. St Louis, Washington DC, and Louisville wrote the book on heat and humidity. The only times there is a breeze, us in the midst of a big storm! I learned a long time ago not to waste my money on wind chimes.

1 Like Save    
DawnInCal

I won't work outside when it's over 85. Hubby knows that if he wants to do an outside project together during the summer months, we'd best start in the morning and be done and inside by noon or he'll be working by himself.

In the fall and winter it's a different story. I can and will go all day long working outside and I don't mind getting dirty either.

Save    
aok27502

Here in NC, July has struck with a vengeance. We are having highs in the mid-upper 90's, with heat indexes over 100. Lows go to around 75. It will be like this all this week, and I think most of next week. The popup thunderstorms that do happen only make it steamier.

Save    
ritaweeda

I live in Central FL. Last week there were a couple of days where the heat index was between 108 and 112 degrees. It will probably get up there again this week due to the weather pattern. It's too hot to live out there. Now that I see others suffering at lower temps elsewhere I don't feel so bad about not wanting to go out there and pull weeds. Too bad I'm not loaded so that I could have a place up North that's nice in the Summer. I have relatives in the WV mountains but I would wind up either in jail or the hospital if I spent much time there, those people are wacked.

1 Like Save    
laceyvail 6A, WV

In the 70s WV had wonderful weather. No humidity at all in summer, and daytime temps rarely got above 85. Nights always cooled off enough that no one had or needed air conditioning. Now we have considerable humidity, daytime temps in the high 80s and the nights don't cool off.

We also used to have gorgeous fall weather with first frost in mid Sept., clear days, nights chilling off enough to want a fire, beautiful foliage. Now, it's hot, hot, hot in Sept, Oct. even well into November. We no longer get foliage color--leaves just hang on until they finally turn brown and fall off in early November.

Winter was real--temps often well below zero at night and sometimes never getting out of the teens during the day. Lots of snow. Now we have very warm winters, temps rarely going below 10 degrees at the coldest, though we have occasional rare plunges to below zero. Snow is rare--and I miss it.

It's called climate warming.

Save    
Michael

Today's Little League game forecast is 91. I'll be there, under the canopy with plenty of cool drinks.

Save    
Uptown Gal

Am in the Great Lakes area and they are forecasting temps in the 90's with no

rain for the next 10 days (at least). Unheard of to set in for that long, I'd think.

Feels like someone left the oven door open every time you step outside.

Save    
Jasdip

Our Ontario summers are always humid. I detest summer, personally. I was talking to a fellow out west a couple of weeks ago and he used to live in Ontario, and he still remembers our ugly summers. LOL

We've been having hot humid days as well, and this week is going to be a killers. Temps in the high 80's plus the humidity makes it feel much hotter. Friday is going to be 37C and is going to feel like 43°C which is 109 F

Save    
nicole___

We hauled buckets of dirt for backfill, still leveling the paver patio.... sweat pouring down our faces. I wear a bandana now full time. Rockin the heavy metal look....lol

Then came the heavy down pour! Cooled it all off. It's 58f now, should rain every afternoon.

Save    
marilyn_c

I am used to heat and humidity but the two hottest places I have ever been were somewhere in the Ozarks and in Nashville, Tennessee. Not a breath of air. I was surprised how hot it was there.

Save    
maifleur01

It was supposed to be 100 real temp tomorrow but the weather services have lowered that because the clouds from Barry have changed directions slightly.

I was thinking that this year was warmer than last but I looked at my electrical usage and with two days to go it is much less than the last 4 years.

Save    
Kathsgrdn

Hot and humid again today. I turned the thermostat down a couple notches because I was sweating inside the house. I noticed yesterday leaves on some trees in the area are already dying and falling off and some fields and some lawns are browning.

Save    
functionthenlook

Winter is long and cold, I love the summer heat. We average usually in the 80s with sometimes a few days here and there in the 90s. On the very rair occasion we do hit 100 it causes havoc. Our power grids can't handle the pull of electricity. They no sooner get one area back in power when another area goes out.

Save    
Michael

Our HOA had 65 trees planted in the green area this spring. A week ago we hired a service company to install 20 gallon watering bags on each one.

Save    
Jasdip

Funny, I wrote a letter to the editor recently about the green watering bags. I feel sad when the city cuts down the huge trees, even though they look healthy with lots of leaves, the trunk is often split which creates a hazard.

They plant wee little trees with the watering bags, and no one waters them. We have several along our street on the boulevard and the homeowners aren't doing anything and the leaves have all fallen off.

But, since my letter, they've perked up and I checked some of the bags and they have water in them! Perhaps the home-owners never thought to water them. The city can't keep up. Or the city can hire more summer help to do the task.

Save    
maifleur01

I live in an established neighborhood so not likely to have the watering bags. I do wonder if the homeowners were even told that they should water.

Save    
Jasdip

Maifleur, I too live in an established neighbourhood. When large trees are cut down, new ones are planted, with the watering bags.

Save    
Michael

Our neighborhood isn't old, it's turns 5 on July 28th. And the trees are planted along the parkway, not near homes. There's a watering service in the county and they refill the bags as needed.

It rained today but not enough to recover from the current drought and hot spell.

Save    
Kathsgrdn

I've never heard of watering bags.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Patios 8 Ideas for Extending Your Porch and Patio Season
Get out the lanterns and throws! Even when it gets chilly, there’s still time to enjoy a cozy outdoor space
Full Story
Modern Architecture See 8 Stunning Abodes From 2 Modern Home Tours in Canada
Can’t make it to British Columbia for 2 upcoming modern home tours? No sweat. Here’s a sneak peek
Full Story
Remodeling Guides 8 Remodeling Costs That Might Surprise You
Plan for these potential budget busters to keep a remodeling tab from escalating out of control
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
Locally owned & operated Closet America has become one of the most reviewed & the most awarded closet companies!... Read More