Evacuations ordered in Louisiana

Jess

Parts of New Orleans Face Voluntary Evacuations as Tropical Storm Barry Threatens Louisiana

Mandatory evacuations were ordered for parts of Plaquemines, LaFourche and Jefferson parishes in Louisiana.

Voluntary evacuations were announced for New Orleans residents living outside the levees.

Plaquemines Parish, where as many as 10,000 people were ordered to evacuate, was nearly empty by mid-afternoon Thursday, according to the Associated Press. The parish sits at Louisiana's low-lying southeastern tip.

I hope FEMA is up to the task

SaveComment16Like
Comments (16)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ann Gale

Wasn't there another thread about the storm? It seemed pretty tame. Must have been a "glitch".

Between the previous rain and the storm surge it's going to be rough.

1 Like Save    
cattyles

Yes, there was another Gulf Coast thread.

Save    
elvis

Keep safe, Louisiana posters!

Save    
blue bayou

Due to climate change, the jet stream is destined to become increasingly sluggish (as the temperature gradient between the arctic and tropics lessens; remember, Alaska has been baking) and there is just much more water vapor in the atmosphere at all levels. SLOW moving tropical storms and hurricanes are forecast to become more frequent. Seem to recall that we have seen this before on the Gulf Coast not so long ago. Oh never mind, that's science and this is Amerika. I almost forgot.

8 Likes Save    
oh kaye

CindyMac, Mrs.Kjun hope you and famlies are safe. Take care all...

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Jess
mrskjun(9)

Wish I could say we are not used to this, but we are always prepared with batteries, water, and Vienna sausage. Just wish this thing would pick up speed (not strength) and move on out.

8 Likes Save     Thanked by Jess
rob333 (zone 7a)

I'm still thinking about you in my prayers MrsK.

Far far second, still worried about our minor promises of flooding.

I really don't understand the earlier yank of the thread? Well wishes, the best for all involved!

3 Likes Save    
foodonastump

Vienna sausages? Cr@p I’ll pray for you too.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by Jess
Prim Rose

A bit of my dinner came up at the mention of those. :(

Save     Thanked by Jess
don_socal

Hoping for good news.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Jess
Prim Rose

Who is 'Cindy Mac'?

MYOB

3 Likes Save     Thanked by Jess
oh kaye

Exactly, Prim Rose.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by Jess
Red Sox

Vienna Sausage? What about Twinkies: they last forever. In the end it will be twinkies and the roaches.

2 Likes Save    
Jess

Oops

Save    
Jess

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Love the "wet floor" advisory sign in the lobby.

Save    

Related Stories

Life 5 Essential Elements of a Storm Evacuation Plan
Be ready to make a quick getaway from a storm with these tips for packing up, planning and protecting your home while you're away
Full Story
My Houzz My Houzz: African Art and Midcentury Style in a Louisiana Home
Global mementos and classic modern furnishings come together in a couple’s one-of-a-kind home and artist’s studio-residence
Full Story
Room of the Day Room of the Day: Vacationing at Home in Louisiana
With a fireplace, kitchen, dining area and living room–style seating, this New Orleans patio brings the indoors out
Full Story
My Houzz My Houzz: Cottage Comforts in the Louisiana Woods
Part secluded retreat, part party central, this cabin hidden among the trees is all good design
Full Story
Decorating Guides 'House Proud' Celebrates Fearless Louisiana Style
Artful interiors get the spotlight in a decorator's new book. See the photos and get her tips for creating your own exuberant style
Full Story
Life 6 Ways to Make the Most of This Weekend
Cozy up with a good movie or a book, explore fall cooking and get your command center in order
Full Story
Product Picks Guest Picks: New Orleans Style
Let the good times roll with style direct from this Louisiana stronghold of sophistication and good living
Full Story
Kitchen Design 15 Smart Ideas From Beautifully Organized Pantries
See shelf, bin, drawer and lighting setups that can help keep your food items and supplies in good order
Full Story
Houzz Tours My Houzz: Eclectic Charm in a Baton Rouge Renovated Live-Work Cottage
Makers of handcrafted jewelry bring personalized flair to their 1,350-square-foot Louisiana home and studio
Full Story