Yum, my first really sweet and juicy one for the season

glenda_al

Stopped by the local curb market, and bought a cantaloupe. Enjoying a late afternoon snack. Like to cut into cubes with sprinkles of salt. YUM!

SaveComment10Like4
Comments (10)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Yum! Love fresh locally grown cantaloupe. I like it with a tiny sprinkle of coarse salt, too. My mother used to use a melon baller on honey dew, canteloupe, and watermelon and freeze the balls in ginger ale for a couple of hours. Wow! So refreshing on a hot summer day.

2 Likes Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

I have been so lucky to have bought 2 different watermelons that were so sweet and flavorful. It has been a while since I had a really good one. I had a good cantaloupe recently too. I love both and could eat it every day.

2 Likes Save    
maifleur01

Try using a grind or two of black pepper. While I like it with salt the pepper add a slightly different taste and aroma. I have wondered what it would taste like with white pepper but am out of it right now.

Save    
glenda_al

Mexican train, tomorrow, and I'm having cantaloupe and crackers for my lunch. Wish I had some cottage cheese to go with it.

2 Likes Save    
happy2b…gw

I never thought to sprinkle salt and pepper on a cantaloupe. Freezing in ginger ale sounds yummy. I have to try it. I bought several personal size watermelons last week at the Super Walmart which were very sweet and seedless. One yielded enough bit size pieces for 10 people to snack on. I appreciate how the personal size fits in the refrigerator easily. I find watermelon and cantaloupe to be very cooling and refreshing on a hot day.

2 Likes Save    
PRO
Anglophilia

Last week, my local produce market had Orange Flesh Melons in. They are SO much better than cantaloupe. None this week but he hopes to have some next week. It's still a bit early for these treasures.

Save    
DawnInCal

I like to sprinkle ground chili peppers on it. The heat and sweet is such a good combination.

I was at the farmers market today and managed to get my hands on the first tomatoes of the season. Can't wait to have one with dinner later!

2 Likes Save    
chisue

I was amazed to see honeydew and cantaloupe featured for only 99 cents EACH at our local chain grocery, Jewel. Lotsa rain = Bumper crops?

Save    
sheilajoyce_gw

Around here, the stores stock green picked cantaloupe, and they never develop the flavor. For years, I could not find any with a "belly button," only with the stem still attached. This year I found 2 good ones and enjoyed them, but the next one had that strange taste that it gets when mold grows on it.

Save    
Michael

Our locally grown melons won't be ripe for at least another month.

I prefer salt & pepper on cantaloupe, or salt and honey.

I like watermelon dipped in sparkling water. Strange. But good.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Life First Things First: How to Prioritize Home Projects
What to do when you’re contemplating home improvements after a move and you don't know where to begin
Full Story
Edible Gardens Cool-Season Vegetables: How to Grow Peas
Their sweetness isn't just for spring. Peas thrive in cool weather too, adding a garden-fresh note to soups, salads and more through fall
Full Story
Storage Organizing? Don’t Forget the Essential First Step
Simplify the process of getting your home in order by taking it one step at a time. Here’s how to get on the right path
Full Story
We design functional homes for busy professionals who crave space to disconnect from their routine & unwind. Our... Read More
Our goal is to make the design process approachable and inclusive to everyone. We help you realize your dream by... Read More