SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodnative

Echinopsis (or Echinolobivia) 'Rainbow Bursts'...knowledge/experience?

4 years ago

Echinopsis 'Rainbow Bursts' shows up a lot in mixed cactus at the "big box stores". I am assuming this is a seed strain or just general label for these hybrid(s)?? Origin?? Anyone here growing these and what does yours look like. I bought a tiny one years ago......grew in a massive low/ball shaped plant with lots of pups and big fluorescent pink flowers in summer. I wish it was a little more floriferous but when in bloom it is fantastic. I bought another small on this year.....which looks a bit different in spines so hopefully another color......just for fun. I also bought an Echinopsis on ebay this year that is a nice soft yellow. How did your 'Rainbow Bursts' turn out????

Comments (72)

• 4 years ago

I tried to send the email deleting the space after the @ and deleting the z in the msn domain but it bounced back as undeliverable.

• 4 years ago

ahhhh... I get it. I’ll try it again.

• 4 years ago

Did you send one? Don't see it yet?

• 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Its probably olga chris yada yada(without the Zs)...

• 4 years ago

Got occupied . Sorry. Just sent it.

• 4 years ago

SoCal Stewart little box taped and going in the mail today! Kara would love to trade for one of those orange. Everyone else where are you pics!! Surely more people must be growing these?? Also who came up with the 'Rainbow Bursts' name....I am sure it is a commercial nursery......any more info on these??

• 4 years ago

woodnative, one is on its way to you as well. All separated and packaged up last night. I’ll be taking it to the post office today. Thank you in advance for the trade.

• 4 years ago

Woodnative I replied to your pm:).

• 4 years ago

Kara I replied to you yesterday. Hope you saw it! : )

• 4 years ago

Yes, I will send it out today or tomorrow. I’ll send you the USPS tracking #.

• 4 years ago

Tyler, do you need help depupping? You’re a clean knife and a dry wound away from successful separation.

• 4 years ago

Hey Jeff. Thanks for the support. I actually successfully performed my first depupping. Much easier than I thought it was going to be. Not sure what I was so afraid of! LOL! Silly me.

• 4 years ago

Kara I am not sure if you are getting my responses to the Houzz messages???

• 4 years ago

I sent you a pm a couple days ago did you get it?

• 4 years ago

Yes and I responded to all of them........perhaps it is something with Houzz.......or perhaps it is me responding on my phone (although I did that before).....let me try from here.........

• 4 years ago

Here are some of my favorites; I've acquired 7 more this summer and I got a two-fer with this one. Only sizable pups are on Big Maude, but not ready to part with any yet, sorry.

Big Maude

• 4 years ago

@Kara--That peach colored one is gorgeous!

• 4 years ago

Noto, did you buy all those at big box stores? There were two Rainbow Burst at HD last wk. I’m really thinking about going back.

I’ve been wanting to tell you the big clump of Echinocereus you sent me in 2017 is doing great. I put them in the ground Oct. 2017. I was a little nervous because that’s when the rain comes for us, but I didn’t want to wait till spring to plant. They didn’t do any growing I could see last year, but this May one of the cactus gave me two flowers, and all three have put out new top growth. I was happy and relieved tbh;).

Thank you again;)!

I just love the pistil on this guy.

New fresh spines and growth.

• 4 years ago

Kara; I'm glad that the Tricho is doing well. Yes, I get my Rainbow Bursts from the BBS; mostly the Walmart that is close to my house. Many of them still have not bloomed. Can't wait!

• 4 years ago

DAANNNGGGG you got all those Rainbow Burst cactus with beautiful flowers from big box stores. I definitely need to pick up those two from HD. Walmart is right across the street from my HD so I will check there too.

• 4 years ago

Noto- That is a nice variety of colors..........a rainbow's worth of colors, though maybe heavy on the pink shades. Very nice to know there are lots of variety in these guys!

• 4 years ago

The bud in my July 12 post above opened last night/this morning. Looks like something was nibbling on it.

woodnative, this is the same plant as the offset I sent you. Looking less red and more peach here.

• 4 years ago

I got a very generous package in the mail yesterday with these little guys!! Thank you!!! I am going to plant them together like this for now probably separate them out in a year.

Stewart that looks great and is a nice color whatever it is!

• 4 years ago

Woodnative--the comment about the RB having a lot of pink flowers is exactly what someone commented to me a few days ago. It's a good thing I love pink :-) Although I wouldn't mind some reds or purples.

• 3 years ago

SoCal Stewart and Kara look familiar? These guys all starting to grow here, I don't see any buds yet. NotoLover or others any of yours showing buds yet?

• 3 years ago

I had my first bloom last week. Other buds are/have been evident for a couple of months now. It's likely yours isn't going to bloom this year.

• 3 years ago

I am in NJ and it has been a cool May. I still have hope. The big pink one above did not get a cool winter treatment (it was kept dry but in a dim and warm room) so I am not sure about that. Hoping at least one of the others blooms.

• 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I was wondering if you gave them cold treatment, it seems to me to be essential to get flowering.
    Last year, I had them in my bedroom window all winter, no flowers at all.

• 3 years ago

It’s really important for these guys to have a cool winter so they will get nice flowers the next growing season.

Here’s the ones you sent Woodnative🌵🙂. They’ve all rooted. I will most likely repot next year, but possibly this year. I don’t like to bother them too much and let their roots fill up this pot. I find they do really well when fighting for space😉. The one on right side was sort of crooked and had a bend, but has straightened out. The guy on the left has a little baby growing. It’ll be awhile before buds tho.

The one I saved from Home Depot in 2017 is finally getting buds for the first time. I’m pretty sure I sent you one of these guys, so I will post pics when it blooms.

Looks like last year’s repot with this year‘s dose of fertilizer turned the above guy back to green.

Last yrs pic.

woodnative thanked Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
  • 3 years ago

This guy finally revealed its flowers.

Even the buds were pretty.

• 3 years ago

These are the little ones you sent me woodnative. They’ve been outside ever since. Some of the pumice got splashed out in the rains. Both are well rooted. One was going to produce a bloom but it decided to make a pup instead. I will repot next year.

• 3 years ago

Tyler, that is strange how the pup turned into a bud. Usually Echinopsis buds are furry all over, as I’m sure you’re aware. Your little pup bud looks like Opuntia buds.

When you said “some of the pumice got splashed out by the rain”, it made me think of a I little COT that I have. The pot is half full of mix because when I water it I’m hardly careful, and each time I water more and more mix pours out. Poor thing I really need to repot it.

• 3 years ago

It does look like an opuntia bud. I saw the flower bud forming and got excited as I didn’t expect any from them this year. Well, I kept waiting and waiting and at some point it just stalled. I then realized it was producing another pupped instead. I think the fuzzy bit is dried out for the most part & will drop off soon. We’ll see.

• 3 years ago

This is the plant I purchased last year (shown in an earlier post here with buds that later aborted). It finally bloomed. Pink but I like them with a hint of yellow in them. They are smaller than the others but there are a LOT of buds so I am happy. Seems to bud and offset easily.

• 3 years ago

Anyone else with blooms? I wonder where Notolover is? My big pink one is getting a bunch of buds.....late this year but I am happy as I mentioned it was kept rather warm and dark over winter. The smaller pink flowers frame above has been flooming like mad. The two plants I showed a few frames up from Tyler and Kara have not bloomed but have grown a LOT. Actually all these guys are growing fast. Perhaps I need something for scale but this is the blooming small-flowered pink (showed flowering last frame, purchased last year (2019)), and the two (from Tyler and Kara last year (2019)) that I showed a few frames up. They have all grown a LOT since then. I repotted all these early Spring and they already starting to spill out the sides of the pots.

• 3 years ago

I got my first two blooms ever today! I started collecting these after seeing pictures on this forum and have nine now. Can't wait to see what the others look like.

Late last night, around 11 pm, they began to open.

• 3 years ago

Edie- Sorry I missed your reply at the time you posted. Just saw it now. Great looking plants!! Did you buy them locally? So nice to see what comes out. I particularly like your red one. Looks like you have a BUNCH more....have these flowered yet? How long have you had them?

OK these guys can grow FAST!! Look how much these two have grown since my June 2, 2020 post above (e.g. in a bit under two months). No flowers this year, maybe next. They have overflowed the pots already. These are from SoCal Stewart and Kara last year. Kara you sent me six young offsets....I mistakenly kept them too dry and only two survived at end of last summer. The two that did survive I watered regularly and you can see how much it has grown (see my photo above). Love them!

• 3 years ago

My way too big original pink bloomed this past weekend (a bit later than last year). I had it on top of a file cabinet in my office part of the winter, and thought it did not get chilled enough (warm heated office) and not enough winter light to bloom this year but I was pleasantly wrong. Some additional buds growing on it too.

• 3 years ago

Woodnative, all nine of my "Rainbow Bursts" were bought in 2019 from Lowes box stores. The two I posted are the only ones that have bloomed so far.

This is my clearance rack prize.

I need to repot mine; all are in their original pots and soil. I've got a bag of Black Gold cactus mix and a bag of pumice. What ratio do you recommend?

• 3 years ago

Edie that is great! Like a box of chocolate when they bloom. I use the Miracle Grow Cactus mix but add extra perlite and a handful of garden compost. If I have it I like to add a bit of coarse sand too. These guys seem to grow REALLY fast!! I fertilize them regularly in summer and keep them outside up until frost is expected. Cool and dry in winter.

• 3 years ago

Thanks for the advice! I will start feeding and watering mine more often once I get them into a proper mix. Yours look amazing.

• 3 years ago

Hey Kara! That’s just lovely. So glad to see you’re sharing your blooms. I know you have some beauties & have been holding back. Thank you for sharing.

• 3 years ago

Kara and Stewart! Sorry I missed when you posted these! Those orange flowers are BEAUTIFUL!!!! The pastel of the crested's flowers are gorgeous too!

Sad to see another summer end.....though I will be happy to see 2020 pass the gardening has been good. Once again I am amazed at how fast these guys grow!! For example here is my plant with the smaller flowers, purchased in 2019. You can see the same plant on this thread, fir posted with buds on July 13, 2019, and in bloom this year on June 22, 2020. Lst photo above is on July 7, 2020....it is on the left. Here is the same plant today (Sept. 23, 2020) and it is spilling out of its pot. Wish I had more space for them!

• 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

SoCalStewart and Kara here are your plants June 2021!! You can see the same two this time last year and later in 2020 above. Now I screwed up a bit on the larger ones. I really have only one sunny window in my kitchen. The smaller one I overwintered there. My BIG pink Rainbow Burst (not in this photo) I typically put in my dark cold garage over winter and it does great! However I tried overwintering the bigger of these two on a cool single pane basement window. I thought that would give them a good dormancy. I am in NJ, and these stayed outside to mid October or so when we had risk of good freeze and I thought summer was over. When I went to bring them (this and another) outside in Spring I noticed it continued to try and grow and stretched out quite a bit. Now it is acclimated to outside and summer so the top is widening, but unfortunately has that weird pinch on top. Oh well. BTW Gymnocalycium treated the same way stayed dormant all winter and are flowering now. Lots of pups on both of these Echinolobivia. No buds yet....

• 2 years ago

Hey woodnative. I’m glad your plants are doing well for you. Mine didn’t make it. Not sure why or what happened. They seemed to be doing well then all if the sudden, they weren’t. First one and then the other.

Hopefully Kara did better.

• 2 years ago

SoCal Stewart you are welcome to get some pups back if you want them? OK where is Kara and Notolover and anyone else who would like to join in and show off those Echis!

• 2 years ago

Hi woodnative. I appreciate the offer. I have a bunch of cacti that I’ve seen no growth on for several years. They aren’t doing bad but just not thriving. Same size, no flowers. Just stagnant. I need to figure these out before I get any more.

• 2 years ago

The plant with the smaller pink flowers blooming today on a damp morning.

• 2 years ago

The big fluorescent pink one was blooming today. A rainy day with an early heavy shower beat the blooms down (and knocked a bunch of them off). There were 12 flowers today. There are a bunch more smaller buds so hopefully will bloom again on a sunnier day later this summer.