As a member of Generation x, I thought this was funny ;)

Tilly Teabag
SaveComment22Like3
Comments (22)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tilly Teabag

Nb, I have friends in both generations.

Save    
Chi

Well, if the millennials (like me!) are the trophy generation, it's because their boomer parents handed them out! Kids didn't buy their own participation trophies. :)

4 Likes Save     Thanked by Tilly Teabag
Tilly Teabag

Yes, I think the piece was subtly hinting at articles written about that.

I know my son was given them by school and community groups too.

Save    
Pidge_

This is a joke, right? I've got a family full of millennial--not a participation trophy among them.

Delilah66

“Kids didn't buy their own participation trophies.” Good thing, too, otherwise what would the parents get them for their ability to get dressed for school? [tongue firmly planted in cheek].

3 Likes Save     Thanked by Tilly Teabag
barncatz

A participation trophy is about recognizing effort, not outcome.We can't all win the blue but we can all show up and do our best.

My daughter jumped horses from a young age. Her satisfaction never came from whether she won the blue. Had she worked on a riding skill, had she partnered with her horse and not caught her in the mouth over the fences, had she performed the course correctly?

At one show, she came off between the last set of double jumps and her horse went on without her to perfectly complete the last canter circle and then trot to the gate. Participation trophies for both!

5 Likes Save     Thanked by Tilly Teabag
terezosa / terriks

My daughter jumped horses from a young age. Her satisfaction never came from whether she won the blue. Had she worked on a riding skill, had she partnered with her horse and not caught her in the mouth over the fences, had she performed the course correctly?

Since her satisfaction came from the learning and doing, why did she need a trophy at all?

Perhaps the trophies were for the adults.

blfenton

My kids are both millennials and despise the label being foisted upon them.

They did get participation trophies, something I don't agree with, until they were in about grade 6. Can't have those poor little snowflakes losing now can we. (sarc)

Not everyone can win and there is a good lesson in learning how to lose.

So actually yes, the OP is rather amusing.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Tilly Teabag
barncatz

Reading my post again, I see I wasn't clear at all, terezosa! I was joking about the trophies, they were hypothetical trophies only. My daughter's fall eliminated her from consideration in that round - they gave ribbons, not trophies, to the top six competitors. Then there was the show where she had her horse pick up the wrong lead (leading foot) right in front of the judge, who told her later "You went from first to last in an instant", lol.

There are good lessons in learning how accept losing - one of the most important being that no one is or should expect themselves to be perfect, and there is no personhood shame in losing when you have tried your best, despite what our Pres. keeps saying in many of his abusive tweets about "Loser".

I also think there are lessons in participation awards - that you control your effort and the outcome may not be in your control, that a child leaping for and missing a ball is not inferior to a child able to make that catch, that we don't have to constantly compare ourselves to others, we are only in competition to be the best unique "me" and that just showing up is indeed valuable. America's culture leans heavily on the winner/loser model and the toxic superior/inferior rating of human beings.

We still have the horse - 29 last March and as beautiful as ever. We have the daughter, too!

elvis

Pidge_

This is a joke, right? I've got a family full of millennial--not a participation trophy among them.

They didn't participate?

Tilly Teabag

Maybe you need to run them off some certificates on the photocopier for participating in the family, have you got a family crest you can feature?

Save    
Rina

When I arrive at the Pearly Gates, I hope St Peter gives me a participation trophy.

rob333 (zone 7a)

pidge, I thought the site was more like The Onion and it was farce.

Mostly, because of this funny one! http://www.theshovel.com.au/2019/07/04/trumps-july-4-military-parade-includes-life-size-replica-of-his-massive-hands/

Stan Areted

RINA:

When I arrive at the Pearly Gates, I hope St Peter gives me a participation trophy.

ROTF! Don't we all?

Well, those of us that believe and want in!

rob333 (zone 7a)

Uh no. I want to hear well done. Not congrats you made it here.

Tilly Teabag

Yes, The Shovel is an Aussie satirical site.

Save    
miss lindsey (still misses Sophie)(8a)

I'm a millenial and I don't remember getting participation trophies. But I am the oldest of the millenials and to be honest our experience seems vastly different from those in the middle-end of the cohort.

For example my bil who is 10 years younger than me and is considered a millenial as well does not remember life without internet. And my cousins who are about that age got "hey you showed up" prizes galore.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Tilly Teabag
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

When I was a kid, back in the 60s, which means I am a Boomer, there were always 'consolation prizes' - and we looked forward to it. It meant you got something rather than nothing.

Not sure when that stopped being a thing, but there were never consolation prizes when my son was little, in the 80s/90s.

I also don't think there's anything wrong with being considerate of little kids feelings.

And what a funny site! I liked this one very much:

http://www.theshovel.com.au/2018/02/15/man-shaves-1-7-seconds-off-2-hour-flight-by-standing-up-as-soon-as-plane-lands/

1 Like Save     Thanked by Tilly Teabag
HU9999

I have never understood the objection to participation trophies for small children. What in the world could possibly be wrong with rewarding small children for trying their best even if they don't win?

And they're only given to small children. Once older, and in competitive sports and competititions, they are only given for winning which is appropriate.

1 Like Save    
maifleur01

Being a boomer the participation trophy of many of us were the tshirts that we acquired for being somewhere. They were much more useful than the ribbons or mini trophies that some of my younger friends children received.

Save    
lionheart_gw (USDA Zone 5A, Eastern NY)

"Well, if the millennials (like me!) are the trophy generation, it's because their boomer parents handed them out! Kids didn't buy their own participation trophies. :)"

Preach it, girl!

I can't fault your criticism. I'm a boomer and not especially fond of the boomer legacy.

I'm giving you a 10 on this comeback. :-)

1 Like Save    
Uptown Gal

And, then all of a sudden...no little tokens for just playing...but telling them, "well, you can't win all the time! Just do your best" But...look, their best friend just won something, and listen to how Mom and Dad are so proud of that kid!

One of the reasons....(there are many, I'm afraid) there is such a high percentage

of depression in HS students today. More and more homework...not teaching,

just assigning homework. After all you have to be the best on all these

tests we are going to see that you have to take. (Google, if you don't believe it). Terrible what we are doing to our kids.

Save    

Related Stories

Most Popular Everything I Need to Know About Decorating I Learned from Downton Abbey
Mind your manors with these 10 decorating tips from the PBS series, returning on January 5
Full Story
Universal Design What I Learned About Moving a Loved One to a Retirement Home
Setting up an elderly family member’s apartment in an assisted-care facility is a labor of love for this Houzz writer
Full Story
Traditional Style Reinvent It: Penny for Your Thoughts on This Antiqued Table?
Let's take it from the top. Make over a routine table with pennies and antiquing for a unique new look
Full Story
Contemporary Homes My Houzz: Making Room for 3 Generations
A Salt Lake City home creates privacy and independence for grandparents, parents, kids and dogs
Full Story
Decorating Guides 10 Color Combos You Never Thought Would Work
Orange and blue? Purple and green? Yes and yes. Unlikely pairings can look great if you do them right
Full Story
Decorating Guides 10 Tile Layouts You Haven’t Thought Of
Consider fish scales, hopscotch and other patterns for an atypical arrangement on your next project
Full Story
Houzz Tours Houzz Tour: Innovative Home Reunites Generations Under One Roof
Parents build a bright and sunny modern house where they can age in place alongside their 3 grown children and significant others
Full Story
Most Popular Houzz Tour: Connecticut Farm Restored for Generations to Come
A man renovates his extended family’s stately farmhouse and land. Sustainable practices are used in gardens, wetlands and recreation areas
Full Story