SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21808948

What color light fixtures would you use?

User
4 years ago

Hi all,

Having some trouble with picking light fixtures for our all white kitchen. Our countertop is a quartz with grey veins, everything else is white, hardware is brushed nickel. All the door handles in our house are oil rubbed bronze (dark - almost black but not quite). And most of the bathrooms have a mix of either brushed nickel, or oil rubbed bronze finishes. There is no gold in my house. NOW- the lights i LOVE only come in oil rubbed bronze or gold - it is by visual comfort shown below in gold.

Here is the oil rubbed bronze version :

I really felt like I should use a silver/brushed nickel light for the kitchen but havent found any as pretty as this in that finish. Do you think I could get away with using a dark light fixture like this? Or should i keep looking for something similar in silver color. Photos of my kitchen are posted down below.

Thanks!

Comments (78)

• Fsal
    4 years ago

Personally I think the ORB looks too heavy in that light and airy kitchen you have. I would stick with the brushed nickel. I also think gold/brass would look incredible...but I too would have an issue with the brushed nickel and gold in the same space. Can you swap out the brushed nickel hardware?

User thanked Fsal
  • User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Island is 10ft long

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@fsal no and we arent crazy fans of gold. I almost feel like the brushed nickel light is getting completely lost though. Which size do you think is better?

• wmsimons85
    4 years ago

Boy that is some beautiful kitchen. :). Love it!. This is a hard one so I feel for you. Personally looking at your photos I think I prefer the size of the nickel light. I do like the orb but as beautiful as that light is maybe it looks a little large there. I think if it was smaller and more delicate like the nickel one I would prefer it. But having said all of that, the nickel one looks like it is wrapped in paper so looks white. Maybe it blends in more because of that. I wish I had mock up skills to show the difference. But do think the orb light would maybe look better if it wasn’t so substantial and was a bit more delicate.

• niccidhg
    4 years ago

You are going to have a beautiful kitchen. I think the smaller size looks better. Have you considered looking at polished nickel ? I think that might give a little extra sparkle, while still looking good with the rest of the brushed nickel hardware.

• niccidhg
    4 years ago

What is the size of the smaller fixture ?

• Fsal
    4 years ago

The bigger one looks too big and smaller looks too small. Anything in between?

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

the smaller light is by visual comforts, called the Darlana light. It is 12.75" high and 22" wide. This light also comes in ORB. Was thinking maybe doing that in just the darker shade?

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

I think your first fixture was the best choice...it is more unique and more substantial and visible....in either color...the last one is is almost invisible ...also needs to be hung lower than it is being held in the pic....not low enough to bump your head but not so close to the ceiling

• sprtphntc7a
    4 years ago

what do u want the light to be? a focal point or in the background?

ORB, focal point

BN, background

only you can decide that.

IMO, i think the sample lights have too much going on. you have beautiful counters, which i think are the "it" factor, & slightly busy cabs. i would keep the pendants on the 'quiet side'... something similar to what HU-874585772 posted.

question: is your counter material also your BS?

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes they are the same... the 2nd light (the smaller one) is simple in my opinion. Will probably go with this light just dont know what finish to go for

• N Love Home
    4 years ago

I prefer the smaller one in Brushed Nickel since you said gold is off the table, but still trying to change your mind. LOL! I'm with previous posters that the orb is too heavy looking.

User thanked N Love Home
  • User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ok i think the large light is out. These are my 2 contenders - color is chrome or ORB... also, will need a light to compliment this for the hallway off the kitchen where we have a small butler pantry. Would you do the same light? Or something slightly different?

• niccidhg
    4 years ago

Love that one, Leanna, in polished nickel . If the ceiling height is the same in the hall, I would probably do the same fixture there. What are the overall dimensions of that light ? Will the light be hanging out of the way of the door swing ? Is there even a door there ? An image would be helpful.

• N Love Home
    4 years ago

Definitely polished nickle! That will look nice and clean in your space. A picture showing the relationship to the hall light would help.

• N Love Home
    4 years ago

If it's the hall we can see in your first pic past the fridge and oven space I'd think a flush mount or just the recessed as a pendant might hang too low in the walkway.

• akcathy
    4 years ago

Just saw these lights in the newsletter about going full height with kitchen cabinets. I thought of your kitchen. You could get a larger light that has less visual weight to it with the clear outer. Also it wouldn’t impede sightline of your hood.

• Fsal
    4 years ago

This acrylic lights are so nice! There are so many light options out there! Choose something different for the hall that corresponds. Typically the light fixtures will have similar ones in their “family” that correspond well with one another. See if you can find a nice complementary o e.

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Those clear lights are cool, do you have the link for them?

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@nlovehome - yes thats the light... i was thinking smaller pendant or flush mount light as well

• akcathy
    4 years ago

If you go to that article here on house, there are links to the lights.

• akcathy
    4 years ago

July 29, 2019 Newsletter

• N Love Home
    4 years ago

Those acrylics are super nice and I bet there is a corresponding flush mount. It would give a little contemporary edge.

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

how do i find the newsletter?

• N Love Home
    4 years ago

I couldn't find the newsletter, but this is the first pic if you search acrylic pendants

User thanked N Love Home
  • N Love Home
    4 years ago

It won't let me share the idea book, but search acrylic pendants and it comes up with the link.

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

thanks everyone. those acylic lights are pretty but way out of budget. Im going to go with these lights. Now i need a complimentary light for hallway off the kitchen. Looking for a flushed light preferably or a smaller pendant light. Ideas?

• N Love Home
    4 years ago

I really like number 2

Retro Glamour · More Info

4-Light Semi Flush in Polished Nickel w/Clear Glass · More Info

CWI Lighting Calista 6-light Transitional Metal Flush Mount in Chrome · More Info

Savoy House Tekoa 5 Light Flush Mount in Polished Nickel · More Info

User thanked N Love Home
  • User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks, i do love number 1 & 2!

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hey guys - what do you think of this light to match the kitchen pendants- (the silver one a few posts up)

https://www.houzz.com/products/minka-lavery-savannah-row-4-light-semi-flush-mount-brushed-nickel-prvw-vr~54269995

This will be in the connecting hallway to the kitchen that has a small butlers pantry in the hallway.

• N Love Home
    4 years ago

Nice. I like it.

• salonva
    4 years ago

I really like that one too!

• niccidhg
    4 years ago

Very pretty.

• RedRyder
    4 years ago

For the hallway, I like #2. Your kitchen is really stunning. Keep looking at flush mount cage lights in b/n. What shape are your handles? And faucet? If they’re very square and contemporary, you may want the hall fixture to be more angular as well.

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Well we’re halfway there!

• RedRyder
    4 years ago

They’re going to be perfect!

User thanked RedRyder
  • skunst2017
    4 years ago

I like gold !

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

https://www.shadesoflight.com/products/lustre-en-transition-convertible-lantern?color=Polished+Nickel

what do you all think about a light like this for the hallway off of the kitchen? Should i stick to square shapes since my kitchen pendants are a square shape? Looking for a semi-flush mount light. The hallway has a mini butler kitchen in it in a grey shade.

• RedRyder
    4 years ago

I’m not a professional but I like that light. It’s similar to your pendants but different. Let’s see what the pro folks suggest.

User thanked RedRyder
  • User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

anybody else? wondering if i need to keep the hallway light a square shape as well to match kitchen pendants above, or can i go with something more circular. such as this or the one posted above

https://www.shadesoflight.com/products/cambridge-semi-flush-ceiling-light?color=Brushed+Nickel&via=57e1330b69702d78ae0000a6%2C57e134a669702d78ae0002de

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

another option - some of the ones i sent above are actually way too big. it needs to be a pretty mini light

• RedRyder
    4 years ago

Leana, I like the first one you posted better. Can’t say why but it seems to complement the kitchen pendants better. The second one seems “heavier” and overdone.

User thanked RedRyder
  • User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@RedRyder i agree. unfortunately the one from shadeoflight is a little more than i want to spend on a hallway light right now.

How about this one

• salonva
    4 years ago

That's a nice light and if it is right size and $ wise I think it's a good choice.

User thanked salonva
  • User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Updated hallway photo :

• salonva
    4 years ago

looks great!! I do love when people post their updates, and yours looks great. Enjoy!

• N Love Home
    4 years ago

Yay!!! Turned out fantastic.

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks!!

• RedRyder
    4 years ago

Good choice for the hallway. Price DOES matter so it’s hard when you post really pretty ideas but they turn out to be out of budget. This one is perfect.