To prime or not to prime....

always1stepbehind

Under your make up/foundation....I've tried a few diffrerent make up primers and honestly do not see a difference. I picked up 2 from Estee Lauder this weekend. One is an illuminating primer and the other is just a regular matte primer...doing side by side under my Estee Lauder Double Wear liquid foundation today, no setting powder over the foundation. Maybe the illuminating looks a little shinier...?? eh. Neither made the pores dissapear though.

Tomorrow I'll do the same and add powder over the foundation. I'll also try the primers alone with just powder and see how that looks.

You use a primer you love??

I was reading about using a "setting spray" vs a setting powder for us 50++ skin folk. Might look in to that too.

SaveComment18Like
Comments (18)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Michael

Always prime. It gives you a blank canvas to work with.

Oh, this is not about wall painting. :)

3 Likes Save    
Lucille

I thought you were having second thoughts about another year of Amazon :)

I use just a small bit of foundation with a bit of cream blush, no primer, no powder. The powder used to control oil, but I have less of that these days so it just looked powdery and cakes at times, my skin looks a lot more natural without it. I do think that makeup routines should be evaluated once in a while as time passes.

2 Likes Save    
Feathers11

I love the concept of a primer, but I have yet to use one that warrants the extra time, expense and chemicals on my face. I'm certainly open to suggestions, though.

I'm still using a light dusting of powder to set my face. But, like Lucille notes, I'm about due for a evaluation of my make-up routine. I've not experimented with setting sprays.

1 Like Save    
always1stepbehind

What I was reading about the setting sprays is that they don't make you look like a dust bowl...well those are my words LOL, compared to using a setting powder.

Yes, I agree...we definitely need to update our make up needs as our skin changes...I wouldn't mind a glow-y fresh look as long as I didn't look greasy and glittery!!

Save    
Feathers11

Yes, Always, and I'm sort of walking that line between glowy and greasy at times. (sigh)

1 Like Save    
Andie

I use either Maybelline BB cream or Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer and finish with Laura Mercier translucent powder.

1 Like Save     Thanked by always1stepbehind
DawnInCal

I got sucked into one of those youtube holes the other night and somehow ended up watching a tutorial about applying makeup for the over 50 crowd.

The gal who made the video didn't apply primer to her face, but she said to apply it to the eyelids if wearing shadow as it helps the shadow stay in place as one goes about their day. She also recommended something I found interesting - cut foundation by making a 50/50 mix of foundation and lotion/cream in the palm of your hand and apply to face with a makeup brush. Older women need to avoid thick applications of foundation (makes them look older as it settles into lines/wrinkles) and the 50/50 blend makes for a more dewy translucent look. I've been trying this for the last couple of weeks and I think it really has made a difference in my appearance.

Save     Thanked by always1stepbehind
roy4me

No make up here.

I rely on my inner beauty.

1 Like Save    
always1stepbehind

Thanks Dawn, I'm going to try that. My issue with tinted moisturizers, CC or BB creams is that they come in VERY limited shades.

Save    
maifleur01

To me it depends on your skin tone and the products that you use. My skin has a reddish tone. I used to use an almost white Shiseido primer to tone down some of the redness. I also used some of that green stuff for the same purpose but it did not work as well. When I was using it if I did not apply and let dry I found my face would break out. Some people have enlarged pores and it can help prevent that pitted look if applied in two coats. I have not worn makeup for years but it is a base to even out your skin tone. If you do not need or want it to do that do not use it. Be aware however that some of the ingredients in makeup can sink into pores and cause problems.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

I have a really nice primer and I really like it...I tried it as a tester in the drug store on the back of my hand which was rough and dry and darn if it didn't instantly make my skin look smoother, less wrinkled and more moisturized for hours. So I definitely bought it. I notice I need a lot less foundation when I use it. It's called One Heck of a Blot. I also bought an eye primer which is just ok.

https://www.target.com/p/soap-glory-one-heck-of-a-blot-primer-1oz/-/A-51183508

Save     Thanked by always1stepbehind
Bookwoman

I love my Smashbox Photo Finish Primer. I have very oily skin, and if I didn't use primer, any makeup I applied would melt off my face in a couple of hours. With the primer, which I often use alone, my face stays shine-free much longer.

Save    
OutsidePlaying

In my experience, some primers should be left on the skin for several minutes before anything else is put in top of them. Not all work that way but some do.

Since I mostly wear tinted moisturizer I don’t worry much with foundation except when I need an extra touch of makeup. My go-to if my pores need some help is a pore minimizer rather than primer. I use Intellishade tinted moisturizer by Revision. It self-matches to your skin color. I also have some Laura Mercier which is ok too. If I use makeup it’s something fairly light and is an illuminating foundation. I tried some Double Wear once and felt like I had spackle on my face. Not much powder at all, but sometimes a touch of mineral powder on my nose and forehead. Setting spray is an inexpensive one from Elf.

Save    
ratherbesewing

For my face/skin, primer allows the foundation to go on more smoothly. I agree with DawnInCA, I cut my foundation with my moisturizer and apply with a sponge.

Save    
Michael

My goodness! Now I know why my wife starts getting ready at 4 for theater at 8.

Save    
maifleur01

I missed the part about "setting spray" in the OP. Models used to use just plain water sprayed in a fine mist. Move the spray lightly over your face after you have applied your makeup and let dry. There are probably setting sprays that you can purchase now but that was what was used at one time if you do not want to purchase something.

Save    
Chessie

I've never found that it makes much difference. I don't wear heavy foundations anyway, so maybe that is why. I will only wear tinted moisturizers. I hate the heavy gunky stuff.

Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

On a daily basis I no longer wear any makeup. I occasionally wear a little lip tint. If it is a very special occasion I will use a very light application of tinted moisturizer and a touch of a bronzer. I just can't stand the feeling of stuff on my face anymore. I have luckily always had good clear skin. As I age I do see changes in the colors. A little blotchy at times but it doesn't bother me enough to make me put anything on my face daily. I used enough when I was younger!

Save    

Related Stories

Shop Houzz Houzz Products: It’s Prime Time for TV Dinners
By Houzz
Welcome the new television season with a chic viewing and dinner party for yourself or a few friends
See Products
California Gardening Southern California Gardener's September Checklist
Before prime planting time, clean out the old garden, prepare for the new, and dream up ideas for fall flowers and veggies
Full Story
Modern Architecture A Minnesota Pavilion Gets Cooking, South American Style
Taking over a former play structure's prime location, this three-season retreat brings grown-up grilling to a couple's backyard
Full Story
Decorating Guides Beautiful Burlap?
The Low-Cost Fabric is Prime Fodder for a Weekend Project
Full Story
Northwest Gardening Great Design Plant: Noell's Grevillea
Late winter is prime showtime for this shrub's artful blooms, bringing color and cheer to coastal landscapes
Full Story
Product Picks Guest Picks: Crafting With Kids
20 ideas for creating a kid-friendly craft area that's primed for play
Full Story
Product Picks Guest Picks: Dramatic Arts for the Big Screen
Like a director's pet project, room screens are primed for designers to get creative and go grand. Here, 25 high-design dividers to inspire
Full Story
Most Popular Taste a Rainbow: 11 Top Home Decorating Colors and How to Use Them
Prime yourself for spring painting season with our color-happy guide to working with popular shades around the home
Full Story
Home Tech So You Want a Bathroom Television
Whether you want to wash with soap operas or primp with prime time, these guidelines for installing a TV in the bathroom can help
Full Story