Michigan People

Judy Good

What city are you in? I am in Holland Michigan. I am just curious.

SaveComment25Like
Comments (25)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Uptown Gal

Born in Michigan, but long gone. Lived in Battle Creek, Ann Arbor and Marshall. Still, in my heart, Michigan is home. Visited your Holland at

Tulip Time several times when I was young.

Save    
Janie

Our son has a summer place in Saugatuck and we've been there many times. He used to live in Grand Rapids and still travels there for business, from Chicago where he now lives. Do you know the Smiths from the Chris Craft family?

Save    
Judy Good

I do not know the smith's Janie. I knew the company though.

Save    
marylmi

I'm up by Alpena. My sister lived in Saugatuck and I spent a few summers there. Love the Saugatuck/Holland area.

1 Like Save    
Uptown Gal

:) visited Alpena one summer when my brother was in the Air National Guard for summer Training.

1 Like Save    
chisue

I was bridesmaid in a wedding in Holland -- around 1961.

DIL's parents and many of their relatives have homes in the St. Joe area -- too long a drive for me going around the lake and back to North Shore Chicago.

DH's family would take the ferry overnight from Milwaukee to Luddington to their cottage on Walloon Lake (before air conditioning). He loved his summers at the boys' camp there.

My grandfather's relatives traveled to Michigan from Cincinnatti to cool off.

1 Like Save    
PRO
Anglophilia

First husband's family had (still have!) a summer home in Charlevoix. We always went there - my grown children try to get there for a long weekend each year. It's beautiful up there!

1 Like Save    
roy4me

My husband was born in the UP 88 years ago tomorrow...Houghton.

1 Like Save    
Kool Beans

On the east side here in Orion. My DH and I took a day drive along the west side a few weeks ago. We drove through Holland and it is such a cute, quaint town. I want to go back with my DD one day so we can see the tulips and shop the downtown area.

Overall, Michigan is a really pretty state and we really enjoy living here.

1 Like Save    
Uptown Gal

roy4me....my best friend went to Michigan Tech (about a thousand years ago) ;)

2 Likes Save    
jewels_ks

My one and only time to Michigan was to Charlevoix and it was beautiful. My bil was getting married there and it was a wonderful mini vacation.

1 Like Save    
lisa_fla

I grew up in Lambertville. On the weekends we boated on Lake Erie. I have fond memories of Put In Bay and touring a winery on a nearby island. There was another island with an amusement park-I can't think of the name. I remember school field trips to Greenfield Village. My grandparents lived in Detroit. I haven't been back in decades. I think of Michigan whenever I have a Vernors.

1 Like Save    
Michael

Lisa,

My brother raised his family in Lambertville. He was a supervisor at Ford and his wife a nurse at Mercy in Toledo. He is deceased and she retired long ago and lives with her daughter in Santa Monica.

Are you thinking of Catawba Island winery? Did you visit Cedar Point or Kelly's Island? Did you eat at Tony Packo's?

My son works for MDOT, GIS.

Save    
lgmd_gaz

We migrated from Ohio to Michigan near Pontiac in 1989 so that Dh could keep his job with GM. We have told many people that what we liked best about Michigan was seeing it in the rearview mirror as we drove back into Ohio when DH retired in 1998. In truth Michigan was very good to us. It is a lovely state with much to do, beautiful scenery to travel from the lower to upper peninsula. We are now back 'home' in PA, but have many good memories of Michigan.

Save    
Michael

PA? That's for another thread. :)

1 Like Save    
Kool Beans

One of my many favorite things in Michigan are the Cider Mills and little farmer markets that pop up everywhere during late summer and fall.

1 Like Save    
Uptown Gal

Me too....Fall is beautiful there.

Save    
Michael

Border Cantina in Novi.

Save    
kathyg_in_mi

Lisa, that was Boblo Island with the amusement park.

I live on the east side of Michigan, just north of Oscoda and south of Marylmi.

Save    
OklaMoni

I am on the upper peninsula right now, on a bicycle tour. Sooner or later I have to come up to where I go next, besides the sleeping bear dunes and the lavender labyrinth.

Moni

1 Like Save    
Rusty

I grew up on a farm in the SW part of Michigan, about 20 miles or so from Kalamazoo (yes, there really is a Kalamazoo!). Left there in 1962. Very little family there anymore, a few nieces & nephews.

Rusty

Save    
lisa_fla

Michael yes-Cedar Point !!!!! That may be the winery if it’s very close to Put In Bay. One time we left Put In Bay to head back to the marina but the weather had turned and the water was quite rough. My parents docked at an island with a winery fir the next 2 days. We missed school and were elated!! I was in elementary school so I dont really remember restaurants, but I do remember Dog N Suds. We had kid size glass mugs from there for years. The boat was docked at Toledo Beach Marina. Once a year we would go to a restaurant near there-don’t know the spelling but it was pronounced Droolyards. Kathi that’s it -Boblo-the name came to me while driving around today.

Save    
bengardening

my DD and her family used to live in Holland, now they live in Bentheim. I would love to meet up with you sometime when we are out there.

Save    
cherryfizz

Bob-lo Island is a Canadian Island. I sure wish it was still open as the amusement park. Now there are luxury homes on it accessible by ferry. Here is a Youtube about what happened to Bob-lo https://youtu.be/aSdwDUD81qU

1 Like Save    
Pat z5/6 SEMich

I live in Pittsfield Township, between Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti, but grew up in Monroe -- and, lisa_fla, Drouillard's had the best turtle soup and frog legs ever. I'm old as dirt, have been almost everywhere in Michigan, and cannot think of any other state I'd rather live in. We here in SouthEast Michigan have been so lucky weather-wise, compared to so many places in the US. And we finally got a Democratic governor!

1 Like Save    

Related Stories

Your First House Happy Houseplants, Happy People
Potted plants add life and beauty to a room. Learn easy ways to keep them healthy
Full Story
Transitional Homes Houzz Tour: Country Meets Contemporary in a Michigan Getaway
Soothing neutrals, casual furnishings and nearby Lake Michigan offer a Chicago couple and their guests a respite from city chaos
Full Story
Houzz Tours One Big Happy Expansion for Michigan Grandparents
No more crowding around the Christmas tree. Friends and extended family now have all the elbow room they need, thanks to a smart addition
Full Story
Houzz Tours Houzz Tour: More Room to Relax in a Michigan Retreat
Tired of cramming their family and friends into a compact space, a family adds a guesthouse and an addition big enough for a crowd
Full Story
Barn Homes Saving Grace: Reconstruction Rescues a Michigan Barn
Working-farm rustic goes stylishly modern, thanks to the loving reinvention efforts of a determined homeowner
Full Story
Coastal Style My Houzz: A Peaceful Florida Getaway for Michigan Snowbirds
A high-rise beachfront condo becomes a spacious and bright vacation haven with coastal style
Full Story
Salvage Houzz Tour: Hand Crafting Rehabs a Michigan Farmhouse
Artisan-made and vintage furnishings, a coffered ceiling and agrarian touches give a century-old home warm appeal
Full Story
Houzz Tours Houzz Tour: Historical Details Charm in a Lakeside Michigan Home
Victorian touches harmonize with contemporary amenities in this inviting vacation home with its own dock on the lake
Full Story
Before and Afters Basement of the Week: Mediterranean Wine Cellar Style in Michigan
Drop in on a converted basement that evokes an old-world feel with its new kitchen, dining room and media room
Full Story