Interesting information on This Land is Your Land.

maifleur01

Never having seen the written lyrics of this song and only having heard the "acceptable" part I found the lost/non-sung verses interesting. http://mentalfloss.com/article/585577/this-land-your-land-americas-best-known-protest-song?fbclid=IwAR3A_fVW8iy7HE22w8c1LpUur5V2Yn5sdUJRMa2PrALZmrLaRfk15ooXSwM

SaveComment5Like2
Comments (5)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Elmer J Fudd

Many know of these verses, folk music enthusiasts in general and others who were familiar because of the political messages many contain. I've long enjoyed (and also performed) folk songs, those done by performers like the Weavers, Guthrie, Seeger and others through the folk revival of the 50s-early 60s.

Anyhow, Wikipedia has some variants to add:

There was a big high wall there that tried to stop me;
Sign was painted, it said private property;
But on the back side it didn't say nothing;
This land was made for you and me.[7]

Woodyguthrie.org has a variant:[8]

As I went walking I saw a sign there
And on the sign it said "No Trespassing."
But on the other side it didn't say nothing,
That side was made for you and me.

It also has a verse:[8]

Nobody living can ever stop me,
As I go walking that freedom highway;
Nobody living can ever make me turn back
This land was made for you and me.

In the squares of the city, In the shadow of a steeple;
By the relief office, I'd seen my people.
As they stood there hungry, I stood there asking,
Is this land made for you and me?

5 Likes Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Guthrie was a supporter of labor organizing and other labor movements and was a patriotic but very left-leaning activist of his time. His guitars usually had the message as you see in this image of him.

3 Likes Save    
laceyvail 6A, WV

Yes, I knew about the "unsung" verses. Even more important now. This land belongs to you and me. Not just a few at the top.

Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

Love Guthrie's words. I often think of the masses yearning to breathe free in the midst of the immigrant turmoil. I always pictured Lady Liberty holding and protecting those who were hurting, at least symbolically, in my mind. I am interested in reform, not refusal. This land belongs to us all. The American Dream is for a chance at a better life. And there are some who need our protection. They're getting trampled out of fear. C'mon America! We're strong enough to protect the hurting.

"The most recognizable phrase associated with the Statue of Liberty is 'Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore.' In the impactful illustration by Peter Brookes above, Trump is seen manipulating the symbol of all that America stands for, ordering the statue of liberty to scratch out the quotes engraved on a plaque on its inside pedestal, to send a powerful message: Don’t send us your tired, poor, and huddled masses yearning to breathe free; America will leave the wretched refuse of your teeming shore to suffer alone" -https://www.designmantic.com/blog/artists-defying-trump-muslim-ban/

2 Likes Save    
laceyvail 6A, WV

Oh, thank you for the link rob333. It's very powerful.

1 Like Save    

Related Stories

Green Building Houzz Tour: Coastal Vacation House Sits Lightly on the Land
This low-maintenance home nestled in the Australian bush is designed for flexible, informal and sustainable living
Full Story
Design Details Design Workshop: How to Make a Home Sit Lightly on the Land
Piers, cantilevers, towers and more can help minimize a home’s environmental impact on its site
Full Story
Houzz Call Show Us the Best Kitchen in the Land
The Hardworking Home: We want to see why the kitchen is the heart of the home
Full Story
World of Design World of Design: See How 9 Families Live and Farm on Their Land
By Houzz
Join us as we visit the homes and farms of passionate food producers and hear about rural life around the globe
Full Story
Modern Architecture 4 Modern New Zealand Homes Embrace Land and Sea
Journey to the southern hemisphere to see an architect's unique way of addressing the region's topography and waterside views
Full Story
My Houzz My Houzz: Jet-Setting Style Lands Smoothly in Portland
Furnishings from around the world give an Oregon home a well-traveled vibe that packs in personality
Full Story
Modern Homes Houzz Tour: Modern and Connected to the Land
A strong link with its surroundings was the priority for this house built on a former pig farm in Suffolk, England
Full Story
Green Building 5 Vacation Homes That Live Lightly on the Land
Check out the energy-efficient elements that give these weekend getaways a green touch
Full Story
Stairways Help Your Stair Landing Take Off
Whether for storage, art, plants or whatever else strikes your fancy, your stair landing can serve your home in a thoughtful way
Full Story
Virginia Premium Renovations is a full-service general contracting company that specializes in kitchen remodels,... Read More