SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

July 2019, Week 2

Are y'all ready for the heat? It's coming.

Can we skip the list of usual gardening chores and focus on what matters in July: just staying cool and staying hydrated. That's a good start, and it helps the plants if they can do the same. Staying alive is the name of the game in July.

Otherwise, this time of the year is prime time for weeding, watering, and harvesting. Deadheading flowers. Mowing the lawn. Planning succession plantings for the fall garden and starting seeds as appropriate depending on what you want to grow. Oh, pest control. On the usual PITA pests, it is important to control them as much as possible in mid-summer because the pest populations can skyrocket.

There. That's it. I'm done. July is the month that I officially begin to not care that much about what happens in the garden---there is only so much I can do once it starts getting snake-infested, and mostly that means I hibernate indoors to avoid the snakes and the heat.

Have y'all noticed how many people have drowned in OK this past holiday week? There were 2 just a couple of days apart at Turner Falls, and a 4 year old at Lake Murray in our county today. I'm sure there must have been others in other parts of the state that I haven't heard about down here yet. Everyone here is just heartbroken over that four-year-old's death. One of our friends was in town this weekend to attend two funerals---one of them for a friend of his who drowned in Lake Murray last week. What is the deal? Is nobody wearing life jackets? Can nobody swim? It just seems all too common nowadays. I know that's not garden-related, but is has been on my mind all week. There are days the stress-relief that comes with gardening isn't enough to outweigh all the bad news.

I know I need to weed this week. Since the girls have been here, the garden hasn't been getting any attention, but I did have it pretty well weeded prior to that.

It is so dry that our ground is cracking. It amazes me how clay soil will stay wet, wet, wet, for months and then, suddenly, one day it no longer is wet, and is in fact bone-dry, and is cracking. It happens the same way every summer, but it still surprises me.

I just let the dogs out and then in again a few minutes ago and cannot believe the huge, loud racket of locusts, tree frogs, croaking frogs, etc. that you can hear here all night long. It seems so much louder than usual this year.

Tomorrow is the last day of this visit from the grandkids. It has been tons of fun, and I am totally and completely exhausted, but in a good way. I hope they'll be back soon to stay another few days. Summer flies by so fast, and then we see them mostly only on weekends once they are back into the school routine. Today both of them were wearing clothing we tie-dyed together in June when they came to spend the weekend. They are so proud of their tie-dyed clothing and love wearing them after we complete a project. It is sort of our summer thing that we do together.

The storms that didn't drop all that much rain (here, at least), knocked out power in the entire SW sector of Ardmore, so Chris and Jana have been without power all evening. I do think we got wind (we were down in Gainesville so weren't here when the storm rolled through) because some of the celosia plumosa plants were lying flat on the ground, though not uprooted. Ardmore's electrical power was supposed to be back by 11 p.m. I know that after the power went out, Chris went straight next-door to check on his elderly neighbors to see if they needed for him to fuel up and start up their generator for them---one of them is on oxygen. He is such a good son---even to somebody else's parents. He said he just didn't see any reason for their son to have to drive across town to help them get the generator up and running when he, Chris, was right next door. Those neighbors are awesome people, just so sweet and so kind, and have lived in the same house for over 45 years so are a great source for info about local neighborhood history. We really like them. In fact, all his neighbors are wonderful, and all of them have incredible landscapes. I think that gardeners in general are just nice people. I guess if my celosia plumosa plants aren't straightening themselves back up by Monday, I'll hammer some stakes in the ground, lift them up and tie them upright. I multi-planted more than one plant in each planting hole so they'd help hold one another up. In some cases, that seems to have worked, but not in all. The tall, old-fashioned varieties of plumosa like Pampas Plume get so tall that it doesn't take much to blow them down, so I was trying to be ahead of the curve by having really sturdy plants. Mine that got blown over were about 3' tall.

Dawn

Comments (24)

Sponsored
We believe that great design should be accessible to everyone