Drink coasters that don't sweat....

always1stepbehind

Any recommendations?? I have cork ones that have stained up from condensation and I think I'd like to get new coasters...I've seen those stone type that look nice.

Any recommendations of coaster you like?

SaveComment25Like
Comments (25)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Andie

The sandstone coasters look nice and they work.

Save    
Michael

Indoors or out, we use the cork coasters from Ikea. 4".

Article: 302.829.46

1 Like Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Linen cocktail napkins.

1 Like Save    
chisue

Absorbent stone coasters here and on Maui.

1 Like Save    
maifleur01

Difficulty with those absorbent stone coasters that I found is that when a colored drink drips on them the color is very hard if not impossible to remove.

Save    
Andie

Maifleur, try using a steel wool pad.

Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

I have the thirsty stone type

Save    
Bluebell66

I like quilted fabric coasters. They work great! These are about 4.5" square. Once I started using these, I got rid of our others (cork, ceramic, stone, etc.).

2 Likes Save    
PRO
Anglophilia

My favorites are Pimpernel coasters. These things wear like iron - I have some that are at least 30 years ago and still fine. They have a cork backing. I love their placemats, too. I use one every single day - wipes clean with a damp cloth and lasts forever.

https://www.pimpernelinternational.com/collections/placemats-and-coasters.html

2 Likes Save     Thanked by always1stepbehind
OutsidePlaying

The thirsty stone brand coasters work great for me. I have used some fabric ones but if the glass is really wet and sits long on it, the furniture will also get wet. Plus the fabric tends to not be as stable for some glasses.

Save    
maifleur01

Andie it is in the stone. Remember some of these stones are porous which means stuff can enter into the stone. I could I guess use a grinder and grind down past the stain.

Save    
abbisgram

I have the stone coasters and I have soaked them in a little bleach.

Save    
arkansas girl

I've always used the stone type with a cork backing. I have some slate ones that are almost black which wouldn't show a stain.

Save    
salonva

Anglo thank you for that pimpernel site- I am having fun browsing and appreciate your recommendation- and they are reasonably priced.

I like the stone ones too but worry that they are too heavy and breakable.

Save    
Andie

Andie it is in the stone. Remember some of these stones are porous which means stuff can enter into the stone. I could I guess use a grinder and grind down past the stain.

Steel wool worked for me on a red wine stain. YMMV.

Save    
glenda_al

I love my stone coasters, BUT the backing on mine is rubber and sticks to my desk.

1 Like Save    
always1stepbehind

I have a glass coffee table so I'm not super concerned like I would be if I had a wood table.

Save    
Andie

I have a glass topped coffee table too, but still use the stone coasters.

Save    
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

Pimpernel is on Amazon, too. You can find them for a lower price than on the Pimpernel site. I always buy mine from Amazon.

Save    
Beaus Rose

I have some decorative stone coasters to use on tables. My favorite glass though is an insulated tumbler. No worries with the condensation on the glass.

Save    
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I don't think that the Pimpernel coasters are at all suitable for cold drinks and drippy glasses.

Hot drinks, yes.

Save    
Sammy

Difficulty with those absorbent stone coasters that I found is that when a colored drink drips on them the color is very hard if not impossible to remove.

@maifleur: Try using a poultice to suck out the stain.

My favorites are Pimpernel coasters. These things wear like iron - I have some that are at least 30 years ago and still fine.

I don't think that the Pimpernel coasters are at all suitable for cold drinks and drippy glasses.

I agree with both statements! I have several sets of them and when moisture finds its way underneath the decorative top layer, it causes that layer to bubble or delaminate from the backing. The cork-backed stone coasters are what I use for sweating drink glasses; the Pimpernel coasters and mats I use to protect my wood tabletops from scratches and heat marks.

Save    
petalique

maifleur — have you tried oxyclean? That (and even Listerine Whitening mouth rinse will remove pigment stains such as those grim red wine or berries. If a very stubborn stain, make a paste from the oxyclean or Snowy Bleach powder.

To prevent fabric coaster from soaking through, use a PUL fabric liner when making them.

Ages ago I bought a package of four needlepoint on board coasters. The background is black. Coasters work very well and are pretty.

Save    
stacey_mb

Always - At the crafts museum where I volunteer, I have seen several crochet patterns for coasters and for glass sleeves. The sleeves are similar to coasters but have "walls" that enclose the lower part of the glassware. This might be an option for you if you crochet or visit a craft fair.

Save    
maifleur01

I am wondering if the ones that people are providing instructions for are actually the manmade stuff which is very commonly sold. Ground rock dust if formed into bricks with a binding then cut to shape. I have one of those beside me right now. What I had was a limestone coaster from a friend who works with stone. It is somewhere in my garden naturally decomposing.

Save    

Related Stories

The Polite House The Polite House: How Can I Kindly Get Party Guests to Use Coasters?
Here’s how to handle the age-old entertaining conundrum to protect your furniture — and friendships
Full Story
Product Picks Guest Picks: 20 Coasters From Cool to Classic
By Alison
Let's toast to chic coasters that save your furniture and express your personal style
Full Story
Decorating Guides Houzz Call: Show Us Your Party-Time Food and Drink Station
Entertaining season is upon us, and we want to see photos of how you keep guests refreshed
Full Story
Beneficial Insects Welcome Sweat Bees to Your Garden Throughout the Growing Season
Look before you swat! These friendly sweat bees will feed on your sweat on a hot summer day, but their main buffet is flowers
Full Story
Kitchen Countertops The Polite House: How to Handle Entertaining Around Marble Countertops
Worried about citrus drinks damaging your precious marble counters during a gathering? Here are 2 ways to party on
Full Story
Home Tech Ice Cubes Are Obsolete! New Technology Is Way Cooler
Chill drinks the smarter way than using messy old ice, with these new home tech solutions
Full Story
Furniture Discover the Big Benefits of Tiny Tables
Don't juggle drinks on a lap or litter a floor with books when a regular table won't fit. Small tables easily pull more than their weight
Full Story
Furniture The Mightiest Little Table You'll Ever Have
It slips suavely into a corner, assists a coffee table with ease and makes a strong style statement. Meet the superuseful drink table
Full Story
Product Picks Guest Picks: 20 Chic Bar Essentials
By Alison
Toast the new year in fabulous style with ice buckets, glasses, coasters and other barware worth showing off
Full Story