SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19039753

A Post Office Rant!

User
4 years ago

A rant!

My newest postman is lazy. My. mailbox is not on my house but rather is on a post in FRONT of my house. Sizewise it is about the size of two shoeboxes on top of one another. It's big and even small packages can be put INSIDE the box! And unlike my neighbor to the north and my neighbor to the south, he doesn't have to go on my porch to deliver the mail. Being on a post in front of the house saves him steps. It's on a direct path from when he leaves the north house to the south house.

The new postman continues to put the mail in the slot only as far as he needs to in order or it to stay. Which means a part of the mail is OUTSIDE the box.

It rains here. Normally I'm home and I do get the mail as soon as I can. However, I've had some wet edges over the period that he has delivered my mail. Nothing that didn't keep me from reading my mail but just irritation that the edges of my magazines are wet (and I hate that since I pay dearly for magazines) because when they dry they're crinkly.

If it is raining he DOES open the back of the box and stuff the mail inside (there is no lock on the back -- it's open) but if it isn't (even though it might look like it could) he just shoves it in the slot.

The mail was delivered yesterday (when it was dry) but it rained after. I was gone. I came home to every piece of mail being a soggy mess. Two newspapers that were soaked, a soaked catalogue and two envelopes that were wet (but not quite as wet as the newspapers because they were mostly INSIDE the box but they were damp). Because he had just "tucked" the mail into the slot. As wet as it got, he might as well just laid it on the ground at the base of the mailbox!

I took my soggy mail and went to our post office and asked to speak to the postmaster. The window clerk looked at what I had in my hand and said "oh, my" and got a supervisor. "You're the one with the red box aren't you" he said. "Yes, but it's black now. I repainted it". He used to deliver my mail and said when he did it, he used to open the back and put the mail in. "The new guy doesn't" I told him. "He only puts it in as much as he has to so it doesn't fall out". Another guy came out. He looked at the mail and said "You're the one with the red mail box aren't you". The other guy told him it was black now! He also used to carry my mail and he did the same thing -- opened the back and put the mail inside. He was the acting postmaster and gave me his email and his phone so I could call if I had more problems. They kept my newspapers and will call the newspaper to see if they can send two more (obviously as wet as they no one was going to read them) and they were going to dry out my catalogue for me.

I was sorry to have to report our mailman but what he did was ridiculous and lazy. My dried out catalogue is supposed to be delivered today and it will be interesting to see where my mail is -- hanging out the slot or inside the box!

Comments (90)