Does anyone else cover their lens

Debby

Do you cover the lens on your computer/laptop with anything? Did you know hackers can access your camera without you knowing about it? I once thought the light had to turn on and I would just know. But a news story came on quite a while ago, that proved me wrong. Now I use these re-stickable flags to cover the lens. It works well.

SaveComment28Like
Comments (28)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Rose Pekelnicky

My son has tape over his. I use a desktop with no camera.

Save    
watchmelol

Either you have strong encryption, good firewalls and passwords or you don't. If your network is is vulnerable to access everything connected to it is also vulnerable. The camera is the least of your worries. The war driver or hacker is going for the easy access.

1 Like Save    
Janie

A little piece of black tape.

2 Likes Save    
ritaweeda

That's the first thing I did was to put tape over both spyholes in both my laptops. Even though I've turned it off on all the settings I could find, I'm sure there is one that I probably missed.

Save    
Michael

Access the BIOS and select Camera OFF. Now, some will say they can access your BIOS and turn it back on. If they are hacking your BIOS, you have more problems than black tape can fix!

I use a WiFi router that offers network protection across all devices.

1 Like Save    
Debby

I use my webcam to talk to my mother, my sisters, my children and my grandson. Turning it off in the BIOS would end up being a pita because I would always have to turn it back on. The sticker works just fine.

Save    
sleeperblues

I use a band-aid

1 Like Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

I've turned the camera on to see what they could see...and if they want to look at my ugly mug or my sofa cushions, good for them.

7 Likes Save    
ritaweeda

Hey Michael, here's the deal: Some of us (I'll poke at myself here) don't even know what the heck the BIOS is. So covering the spyhole with tape is our only option unless the BIOS means the settings, which as I said before I did that but not sure if I found all the options in settings that needs to be tweaked.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Debby
schoolhouse_gwagain

There's a spy hole?

2 Likes Save    
cherryfizz

I keep mine covered with tape and when I use my iPod I always have my fingers over the lens when I use it. My cousin turned on her computer one morning and went she went to search for a page a pop up came up with a picture of her taken a few minutes earlier when she first turned the computer on. It was ransomware and she was told she had to pay money and if not the police and Interpol would be coming to arrest her. She wasn't too familiar with computers and really thought the police would be coming to her door. She watched the show Cops and used to see people being dragged out without their shoes on so she made sure her shoes were at the apartment door. She called me crying to tell me that she was going to be arrested and I just started laughing. I said to her first of all the police are not going to tell you that they are coming to get you, they will just show up and then I told her what had happened. From that day I covered my camera lens.

Save    
Sammy

A little yellow Sticky Note covers the camera on my MacBook.

1 Like Save    
Elmer J Fudd

I don't. It's a silly notion and a MOST UNLIKELY issue to worry about.

5 Likes Save    
maifleur01

If someone wants to take a picture of me more power to them. They could spread it all over the internet but it is already there from events I have attended. I seldom sit at my computer in the nude because I have cats with claws and this laptop does not have two cameras so you can only see my chair and the dusty cabinet behind it. If you really think about it and you can try this take a picture of what the camera can see. It may ease your worries. There is a very small range of vision in most cameras.

Save    
schoolhouse_gwagain

Where is the camera lens on my PC desktop monitor?

You want to hear something funny? Because of this thread I discovered the panel where you can change the tone of your monitor screen! It's a almost hidden panel to the left of the on/off button. There's other options on there but I don't know what they mean. After all this time. Too funny.

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

Yep, electrical tape. As others have said, they'd see my ugly mug, in fact I'd scare myself before I covered the camera. Same as a selfie with my cell phone, I don't know how the camera gets switched from camera to selfie. I never ever take a selfie. And I scramble how to switch it back.

Same with Alexa. If she or anyone else is hearing my conversations, so be it. I'm either talking to the cats, me or hubby, up there in cyberspace. Nothing secretive, just talking of my day.

Save    
maifleur01

Jasdip I do not know what type of phone you have but mine to the right side is the outline of a camera with circling arrows inside. It is very easy to rest part of you hand on it which will change it from taking a picture on one side to taking a picture on the other side. To turn it off just press the same camera with arrows.

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

Thanks Maifleur. I did realize that that's how I change back and forth. I didn't realize I must touch it as often as I do.

1 Like Save    
marilyn_c

Duct tape.

Save    
Angela Id

Umm, no! I'm surprised so many are actually concerned about this.

1 Like Save    
Elmer J Fudd

We make video "calls" pretty regularly. Beyond my view that this is a zero likelihood risk situation that many seem to want to worry needlessly about, covering the camera peep hole with tape wouldn't work for us or others who also use the camera for video calls.

1 Like Save    
PRO
Anglophilia

Good heavens! Aren't there far more important things to worry about? I've had a computer since 1992 and I've never been "hacked".

1 Like Save    
Chi

I do. It makes me feel better. I'm not worried about hackers but I work remotely with different communication platforms and those cameras pop up all the time whether I'm ready or not. I prefer to choose when people can see me.

We have had many embarrassing moments for other people at company meetings when they think their camera is off and it shows them unprepared. I've even seen people half naked!

Save     Thanked by Debby
breenthumb

I think the real threat and intent of that type of hacker is {young?} people living with an open laptop in their rooms as they go about their lives in various degrees of dress assuming privacy. They sure wouldn't spend much time watching me, not to mention I close the kitchen laptop when not in use and desktop monitor has no camera.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Debby
jemdandy

For my laptop, I disable the camera function in the operating system. That means, if I ever need to use it, I have to remember how to enable it and that often is a problem for me - I don't remember how to do this.

For those of you who are taping, beware that the stickum on the tape can mess up your lens. What to do: Before you apply the tape, place a small piece of clean paper on the section of the tape that will be over the lens. As an alternative, apply a strip of dark paper over the lens and tape the ends of the paper to your device. The object is to keep the sticky goo off your lens. If the lens is plastic, it can be permanently damaged.

Save    
arkansas girl

I don't even have any lenses. My phone is a flip phone and the lens is on the back of that. I'm just not into high tech stuff these days. I'm leaning Amish...HAHA!

1 Like Save    
Michael

Ha. So your A/C has a hand crank? :)

1 Like Save    
marilyn_c

I don't use mine, ever....so I don't care about the lens.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Data Watch How Much Does a Remodel Cost, and How Long Does It Take?
The 2016 Houzz & Home survey asked 120,000 Houzzers about their renovation projects. Here’s what they said
Full Story
Life When Does a House Become a Home?
Getting settled can take more than arranging all your stuff. Discover how to make a real connection with where you live
Full Story
Decorating Guides The Cure for Houzz Envy: Kitchen Touches Anyone Can Do
Take your kitchen up a notch even if it will never reach top-of-the-line, with these cheap and easy decorating ideas
Full Story
We offer a variety of services for renovations, upgrades and new design for your home! We also do small... Read More
We create award winning kitchens/baths designed to suit your lifestyle! The heart of the home is always the... Read More