SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
becky2010

We finished our kitchen! Danby and Soapstone...

becky2010
4 years ago
last modified: last year

I don't post very much on Houzz - but I have read a thousand discussions, so I thought I'd post pictures and give a short review after two months of living in our kitchen. 13 years ago, we moved back into the house I grew up in, and this year we finally got around to replacing the kitchen and cabinets that my mom put in 50 years ago. We also ended up turning a tiny laundry room into a home office, and an old greenhouse (which was in a state of disrepair) into a laundry/mudroom. Our kitchen inspiration picture we got from Houzz, and we took it from there. My main sources of panic surrounded picking the countertop material. After much reading (!), we ended up going with Danby marble (sourced from the eastern shore), and soapstone (from Bucks County Soapstone, in PA). In the end, though the renovation took WAY too long, we are thrilled with our new spaces. We love both countertop materials, and enjoy them every day. Yes - the marble etches, but no, it doesn't bother me at all. Yes, we have had to oil the soapstone, but we actually enjoy the process very much. We are a messy family of five, who love to cook and bake, and we are getting a lot of use out of every inch of the new space. We are still a little afraid of our range, but otherwise love everything. Thank you to everyone who wrote reviews of their kitchens! They were so helpful to me while I was going through this process. Edited to add: Three years later and the marble still hasn't stained at all. We haven't re-sealed it yet! We still love it!

Comments (160)