SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
holeypants

Landscaping a steep backyard slope

holeypants
4 years ago

I have a steep high-desert slope, somewhere between a 33% and 50% grade. The soil is fairly loose. I'd like to avoid paying for a retaining wall, but would like to have a couple of flat sections on the slope so that it can be traversed (it already has one, though it's hard to tell from this photo).

Right now my plan is to have most of the slope re-graded into sort of a modified terrace where, instead of having vertical portions, it will have 50% slopes covered with rip rap and/or groundcover, alternating with somewhat narrow flat sections.

At the bottom of the slope, though, I've inherited a half-complete DIY retaining wall on a slope that is definitely steeper than 50%. It's mostly stable - the former owners embedded some tire-like items in it - but I can see there has been some erosion. I'd rather not add dirt to make this less steep, as it would make the bottom, flat portion of the yard really narrow.

What are the best inexpensive alternatives to a retaining wall? I've been trying to do online research, but it's hard to find information that's targeted towards residential projects. Most of the local contractors seem to think only in terms of retaining wall blocks, which I really don't care for. Would something like Envirolok or geotextiles make sense? Please feel free to suggest anything; my mind is open.

Comments (4)