SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
itskamy

How do I increase natural lighting in this living room?

itskamy
4 years ago

Hi, first time poster here! I need help on identifying the best way to increase the amount of natural light in my living room. It is roughly 13' by 16' with a slanted ceiling and has two exterior walls with windows. The wall with the two windows and fireplace face southeast, and the wall with the large window faces southwest. There is a Japanese Maple tree outside the chimney that shades the two windows except during the winter. There is a covered porch over the southwest window and a large (Sequoia?) Redwood tree next to the porch that shades the large window year-round. The only time I feel it is bright enough is in the morning during winter as the rising sun peeks through the southeast windows.

We would love to keep both trees and the covered porch, and we don't want skylights because we plan to install solar panels on the roof over the living room. So far, the ideas I came up with are:

a) squeeze in a triangular-shaped window on the southwest-facing wall above the covered porch - but how much light will come through with the redwood tree there?

b) install Solatube(s) that come through vertically on the northwest wall (above the entry as shown in last photo below) - but will it look funny, and will the light fill the full depth of the room?

c) add more windows on either side of the big window - but how much light will really come through since it's all covered by the porch?

d) brighten up the room in other ways, such as by painting the media cabinets white (which my husband doesn't want to do). We also already tried hanging a big mirror, but it didn't result in a noticeable difference.

Looking for better ideas and general advice on this one! Thanks in advance!!

Comments (11)